hivemind

[Restoration] Some of these spells suck ass

Current spell list:

1. Heal Body - staple spell, good as is

1. Diagnosis - many think it sucks, I think it's a necessary item in any true healer's repertoire

2. Restore Limb - staple spell, good as is

2. Purify Spirit - necessary, good spell. Recently dropped from 4th level to 2nd level for more utility.

3. Heal Mortal Wound - staple spell, good as is

3. Ranged Heal - failed experiment

4. Panacea - gives more efficiency and speed in certain situations, but duplicates lower level spells. Better than Sunbeam.

4. Sunbeam - the "S" is for Sucks

5. Group Heal - seems to have more RP applications ("Gather round, good farmers, while I heal you all!") than actual use

5. Revive - staple spell, good as is

Basically, out of the five new spells we came up with a couple years ago (when we added a new spell to every level of every school), they all eat ass except Panacea, and that one is only spared the sucking because it duplicates existing, good spells. I still like Diagnosis; it's the type of thing that I think differentiates a true "Healer" PC (the Doctor) from someone who is just a battle medic kinda deal (the EMT). But Ranged Heal, Sunbeam and Group Heal are all dogs that don't hunt.

So the real problem, as I see it, is this: the focus of Restoration is too narrow. But how to expand it?

Prevention is clearly the domain of Aegis magic. Spirit Shield is a good example of this. Dealing with the Undead, no matter how "anti-life" they might be, is clearly the realm of Necromancy. Sunbeam was a stretch, and it failed. What the hell else is there for Restoration to do?

Nothing is shackling us to the name "Restorative Magic". If someone can think of a broader category that doesn't overlap too much with another school, but is still a good fit with the healing stuff, we could consider changing the whole name of the school.

I don't think we should make more useful spells by nerfing current ones. Ideas like splitting "Restore Limb" into "Restore Arm" and "Restore Leg" do nothing but screw over the existing healers.

Ideas?

How about a level 3 spell that removes negative effects like curse and compulsion magic. Basically a limited dispel that can't be used offensively?

Didn't we talk about a preemptive "life insurance" spell when we talked about this before? Like a level 5 spell that lasts all day and heals a torso wound 1 minute after you go down? Anyone think something like that might work?

In the vein of preemptive healing, how about a level four spell that give a character regeneration for the day that heals body damage and limb wounds after a few minutes out of combat? It could be more efficient if you are willing to invest the power ahead of time and the recipient takes continual beatings. I'd rule that it only heals wounds taken after the spell is cast though, so you need to cast it ahead of time instead of just using it like panacea.

Could make Toughness a Restoration spell, fortifying the body, and give Aegis magic something else to make up for it. That carries its own set of problems, though.

what about a spell that allows you to restore power points in another person at the cost of your own?

I was thinking that, but you'd have to make it restore fewer points than it cost, or it would be imbalanced.

I think the problem with diagnosis is that a lot of times having the first aid skill is just as good.

I think the problem with diagnosis is that a lot of times having the first aid skill is just as good.

It could use a couple of things to make it more attractive. I'm thinking things like getting more CSI type info from the spell, or making sure that certain types of info aren't available with first aid. Perhaps a diagnosed patient is stabilized for a while without needing a hand on their chest, buying time to find a healer with more power. Perhaps diagnosing a patient should drop a point off the cost of any healing spell cast on them afterwards, so people aren't as likely to say "fuck it" and just cast panacea in the first place.

I was thinking that, but you'd have to make it restore fewer points than it cost, or it would be imbalanced.

Well the initial pp cost of the spell would be the balancing factor. And the fact that your draining power from your healer...which could be fatal..but a necessary risk, and it fits with the restoritive theme.

For example:

A group of adventures has just finished a lengthy battle and the nature mage is out of power when all of a sudden a troll bursts out of the woods. Already weakend by the first battle the party won't stand much of a fight without the appropriate damage type (assuming they don't have it). The group healer touches the nature mage and gives him enough power so he can cast elemental weapon or dart, while the other memebers distract the troll.

It could use a couple of things to make it more attractive. I'm thinking things like getting more CSI type info from the spell, or making sure that certain types of info aren't available with first aid. Perhaps a diagnosed patient is stabilized for a while without needing a hand on their chest, buying time to find a healer with more power. Perhaps diagnosing a patient should drop a point off the cost of any healing spell cast on them afterwards, so people aren't as likely to say "fuck it" and just cast panacea in the first place.

I could see it becoming something of an rp skill in its own right. For when parties encounter slain people in the field. Using Diagnosis might give them things like time of death, cause, maybe number of attackers by knowing wound types. It would involve some fore thought from the gms putting bodies out there but might make the spell a little more useful.

I like the transfering power points, but that seems more the theme of 'Enchantment' than Restoration.

Diagnosis -- Could we make this more of a plot hook spell, by having particular diseases/poisons that aren't solved by Purify Spirit and instead require some dingus alchemical component. Diagnosis could give the healer the name, description, and location of these herbs? Or does this nerf Purify Spirit, in theme?

I like the "pocket heal mortal" spell idea, but there needs to be a time component to give the victor a chance to KB the victim before the spell goes off.

The only other things I can think of for restoration is biowarfare related. Like Necromancy has the white and black path, restoration could have a healing path and a buffing path. Transfer strength and toughness over here, maybe add some crazy madweed-like berserking spell, maybe being able to toss spackets of disease (which can be a form of life themselves)... Nox-heads would love it.

/brainstorming

If I could write it how I'd use it...

I'd combine sunbeam and ranged heal into a level 3, two darts that either hurt undead or heal

Level 4 would be a contingent heal mortal wound, self only

Level 5 would be to infuse the target with healing energy, so they only take damage calls of 2-3-4. The idea being that they're so full of life, that scratches instantly heal. Of course this couldn't be cast on monstrous creatures.

*shrug* Diagnosis would go well in a plot-hook type thing.

Sunbeam would be great if it had more darts, if you keep it level 4, but give it two darts rather than one I think it would work.

Panacea could be replaced by something else and have revive work on the dying as well as the dead.

Perhaps drop group heal to level 4 and have contingent heal mortal level 5 but not limited to self only.

We had an old proposal for diagnosis... I'm trying to remember it.

OK, so...

1. Heal Body - Heals all Body damage on touch

1. Diagnosis - Reveals all ailments in targets touched, 10 minute duration

2. Restore Limb - Heals all limb wounds on touch

2. Purify Spirit - Removes a variety of poisons, diseases, and physical afflictions

3. Heal Mortal Wound - Heals one torso wound on touch

3. Group Heal - All friendly beings within 10 feet gain Heal Body

4. Panacea - Heals torso, limbs, body, poisons and disease on touch

4. Energy Darts - Throw two magic darts that channel Heal Body, Restore Limb, or Purify Spirit, or deal 4 armor-skipping Elven Steel damage to Undead only

5. Revive - Brings a willing character back from death’s door

5. Life Insurance - Ten minutes after taking a Mortal Wound, player will receive a Panacea spell rather than death. Self cast only, game day duration, Dispellable. A killing blow automatically negates and dispels this spell.

That OK with everyone?

I was thinking diagnosis would be sort of a 10 minute self-buff to let you better tell what's wrong with people, but the rest of that looks fine to me.

My intention for Diagnosis is what you said, Dan.

I would envision Creeping Rot shutting off Life Insurance (gay name, someone do better please) for the duration of the Creeping Rot.

My intention for Diagnosis is what you said, Dan.

I would envision Creeping Rot shutting off Life Insurance (gay name, someone do better please) for the duration of the Creeping Rot.

I noticed that we're covering diseases in these descriptions too, I'd like Diagnosis to include the ability to protect the caster from catching the HIV from examinations. We discussed this before I think, but I don't know if we wrote it in yet.

Life Insurance = Second Breath? Second Chance? Life 3?(LOL)

Phantom medic? Regeneration? Infusion?

Life Infusion

Delayed blast Panacea

Death stop

(not this one) Miracle

(not this one)Seven days in Ten minutes!

(not this one)Seven days in Ten minutes!

Shouldn't that be three days?

We could have Diagnosis give another 10 minutes to a dying character. So with First Aid and Diagnosis the longest anyone can hold on is 30 minutes.

As for renaming Life Insurance I'm ok with Regeneration and Second Breath. It could also be called:

Second Wind

Contingency Heal

Vitalize

Death Ward

Death Proof

Back up Plan

What's in Your Wallet?