ubergeek2012

Merchant Skills

Has anyone ever taken the merchant skills before? By my math, it would take 100 extra coin over 10 games just to gain back the extra level it cost to buy merchant in the first place, assuming you have 20 coin per game to turn in in the first place. Master merchant is a bit worse, requiring 150 extra coin over 15 games as you pay the full 30 coin per game before you've earned back the 3 skill points to buy the skill. Has anyone ever needed to burn coin so badly they've actually bought this skill?

If the intent of the skill is to make it easier to turn money into XP, maybe it should increase the efficiency of the exchange rate instead. As it's currently written, I can't see it being a worthwhile purchase.

I don't fully understand the complaint.

Here's the scenario the Merchant skills are designed to work in:

I'm a merchant in-game. I set up a shop and sell stuff the PCs want. let's say I'm selling widgets. I buy the widgets for $5 each at Target and sell them in-game for 30 coin each. Business is good, and I sell two per event. I'm taking the $10 that could have been donated for one XP and instead turning it into 60 coin each game. But I can only turn in ten of those coin for XP. Once I take the Merchant and Master Merchant skill, now I can turn my $10 investment into three XP per event rather than one.

The problem is that it takes 10 games of continually good business just to break even on the points you spent to get the merchant ability, and 15 games to get back the level and a half it costs to get Master Merchant. That's a long time and 250 coin just to break even. Why would anyone bother? I'd just spend my skill points on the abilities I'd want in the first place and pocket the extra money to spend it on hookers and blow.

.. I wasn't paying attention until Bob mentioned hookers and blow. Now, I'm all over this thread.

I'd just spend my skill points on the abilities I'd want in the first place and pocket the extra money to spend it on hookers and blow.

The point is that these are the abilities a Merchant would want in the first place. Merchanting is the destination, not the trip. These skills aren't meant to be a means to an and, the are the end...

Also, it's envisioned that players will take these in conjunction with Tradesman.

What are they and end to? It not like you need them to sell stuff in game (nor do I think they should be required). Why would a player that wanted to be a merchant want to pay skill points for these skills? And don't try to tell me that it's so they can level faster with money, because as I've already pointed out it takes 15 (12.5 if you buy them together) games and 250 coin just break even and gain back the skill points it cost you to buy the skills.

As for tradesman, that's good hooker money right there. :)

I think Bob's point is, if these are your goal, then they aren't getting you anything you really want. Being able to turn in more coin for XP only works if you're looking for other skills. If you're looking for other skills, you're better off taking those than the merchant skills because you'll get them much quicker going that route than making the detour of picking up the merchant skills to help out.

If I take my $10 and buy some widgets to sell, and I sell them for 30 coin each, then it still takes me 3 events to turn those coin into XP. If you can sell at this kind of rate regularly, you'll be sitting on a horde of coins in no time, waiting to turn them in for XP.

To make them truly worth what they're trying to do, I think the coin limit needs to be upped more than having the ratio increase. Make it so Merchant allows a player to turn in 30 coin per game for XP, and Master Merchant allows a player to turn in 50 coin per game for XP. At least that's my take on it.

What if merchant let you buy an XP for 8 coin, and master merchant for 5? Somebody do the math on that, as I'm exhausted.

If Merchant let you turn in 16 coin for 2 XP, you could buy the level back in the same 10 games for a cost of 80 coin while saving you 20 coin on the 1 xp you could be buying without the skill. Over time, the 20% savings on XP would make up for the cost of buying back the level. After buying 4 levels (40XP) over 20 games at a cost of 320 coin, you will have gotten as many xp as it would have cost you 400 coin to buy over 40 games.

I think that more than a price break on the purchase of XP, we need to make the skills themselves cheaper so you're not digging yourself a bigger hole to climb out of. If we charged 1 point per skill and we assumed that the player had 30 coin per game to turn in, he could make up for the single lost level after 5 games of dumping an extra 100 coin to do so. How does that sound?

To revisit this, I guess I can't see anyone ever paying 3 Skill Points for Master Merchant. How about if we drop it to 1 Skill Point?

To revisit this, I guess I can't see anyone ever paying 3 Skill Points for Master Merchant. How about if we drop it to 1 Skill Point?

I'd agree with that (and said so above), in fact, I think they should both be 1 point each at most.