ubergeek2012

[Aegis] Order of triggering defensive spells

Both Anti-Magic Shield and Aura of Reflection say that they affect the "first offensive magic tag bag that hits the character". Does the defender get to choose which triggers first if he has both cast on himself? If an Anti-Magic Aura has been cast on top of them, do they remain dormant as long as the Aura is active?

I'm guessing that the answers to these questions are "yes", but I think we should be clear and note it in the spell descriptions.

We've had this discussion before, and I think the answer is that protective spells take effect from highest level to lowest level. This is why Aura of Reflection beats Dispel Magic.

Doesn't Anti-Magic Shield also beat Dispel? According to Dispel Magic's description it does.

Besides that, is it really necessary to have a set order? If it's that predictable that the most powerful defense is discharged first, I think the reflect will end up getting blown by a disengage when the caster would have preferred to save it for the dominate follow up.

The order will never be "what the caster wants it to be". Starting off a mage duel with a Weaken is a very legitimate tactic.

Then we should just make sure that the order is clearly stated in the rules in case anyone ever learns it. Has it ever been used in game? I don't think I've seen it in the last two years myself.

Then we should just make sure that the order is clearly stated in the rules in case anyone ever learns it. Has it ever been used in game? I don't think I've seen it in the last two years myself.

Adimo cast it on the whole NSGG once from a magic book.

-Brian

I believe it goes in order:

1:Immunity(if applicable)

2:Aura of Reflection

3Anti-Magic Aura

4:Enchant Shield (if applicable)

5:Anti-Magic Shield

In the case of Dispel hitting this stack I would argue the word Immunity. Dispel is not an effect named in the immunity descriptions (Battle Immunity, Mind Blank, Elemental Immunity)so it doesn't get neutralized out of hand. Trump should go to the defender. Magic Dart would stop outright on Battle Immunity before it ever got to Aura of Reflection because BI specifically names Magic Damage and AoR is less specific.

I'd bump Anti-Magic Aura to #2 since it's the shortest duration and stops every goddamned spell coming in, including beneficial ones. The only thing I'd have above it is Enchant Shield since if it hits that it never even gets to you at all.

For magic, I would also place the Immunities (5) first.

Aura of Reflection (5) after that, then Anti-Magic Aura (4), then Enchant Shield (3), then Anti-Magic Shield (2).

For poisons/non-magic spackets:

Immunities (5)

Strong Spirit (4)

Enchant Shield (3)

Spirit Shield (2)

Is there a reason you're putting Aura of Reflection ahead of Anti-Magic Aura? I would think that Anti-Magic Aura should count along with the immunities for the minute it's active.

Is there a reason you're putting Aura of Reflection ahead of Anti-Magic Aura? I would think that Anti-Magic Aura should count along with the immunities for the minute it's active.

Because it has the chance of bouncing back a spell. Letting it act normally, and the fact that it is a more powerful (+lvl) defense fits well into the layering scheme.

Considering how expensive Reflect is, I'd rather not have it go off on a spell that I'm immune to anyway. It's just wasteful.

Considering how expensive Reflect is, I'd rather not have it go off on a spell that I'm immune to anyway. It's just wasteful.

"You can't always get what you wa-ant.."

Well, at least we have some humor. Still, the way this is going I don't expect we'll see Reflect get used much if anyone has to spend their own power on it. I just don't see it as being cost effective.

You get an extra layer of passive protection. It stacks with AMS and lasts how long? If it isn't GD it should be.

1 Improved Magic Armor is less efficient than 2 Magic Armor but you get more bang for your buck in the moment.

You get an extra layer of passive protection. It stacks with AMS and lasts how long? If it isn't GD it should be.

1 Improved Magic Armor is less efficient than 2 Magic Armor but you get more bang for your buck in the moment.

This is true normally but becomes less so if you lose that extra layer of protection when hit by a spell that you're immune to anyway.

I have no problem moving AoR behind AMA. Both ways make sense to me.