While I love the theme and story of the Snow Goblins, to do it right the proths and garb are a real pain. Before the HoCB we had 1 Snow Goblin player character. I'm wondering if the challenges to portray this race are keeping people from playing them.

Here's a radical idea, just tossing it out there for shits and giggles: Do we want to destroy Gersh in the next few years, maybe in time for the KoN 3.0 rulebook? Maybe replace it with something "easier" to play?

Just stirring the pot, not advocating here.

See drakes.

I think the 3.0 rulebook is coming in february...

I enjoy that we have a variety of races that require a variety of amounts of tolerance for makeup and proths and varying amounts of money to do right.

Snow Goblins are actually very easy. You need a nose and a wig. Just because we're doing them to the hilt (and not enjoying the amount of work involved) doesn't mean we should scrap the race.

I *could* get behind an idea that involves costuming easier than a long nose (which doesn't stay on for shit). Maybe change the requirement to:

white wig

white highlights on exposed skin (not require full white makeup, but allowed)

fangs

The godsdamned noses just don't stay on in the heat, and only for a few hours in cool weather. By the end of four or five hours, Drew's shit's tattered and my nose is held on by glasses and a wish.

I am using a specialized, expensive prosthetic adhesive. Neither my ears nor my nose stay on for more than 4-5 hours - less if it's hot. Drew's nose comes off every game. There's nothing that's going to keep that stuff on with no maintenance for hours and hours while running around, sweating and fighting. Maybe if we blended it all on with liquid latex too, but we already spend an hour-plus getting ready, I don't think we're going to take the extra hour to blend it all like that. The problem is that they're not like elf ears that just sit on top of your ears, they're long dangly proths.

in my experience, liquid latex is the answer, but it definately adds at least a half hour to setup and cleanup.

Maybe Drew wouldn't look like he's wearing some kind of clockwork orange mask over one half of his face though ;)

Yeah, I could spend more time/money on the facemask, but it curls up by the end of the shift anyway. And after an hour or two of getting into everything, my patience for adding more to the process sucks. ;)

I'm hearing a lot of Goblin costume hate here. Are you guys planning on dropping these characters? If so, I'd like to know before I dump a bunch of effort and money into stuff for a plot centered on them.

Of course, if we do decide to alter goblin costume requirements then you could all just alter your costumes to fit. Hmmm, it's kind of like the reverse of Klingons between TOS and Next Gen. ;)

We're not changing snow goblin costume. I've seen players wear bigger noses (attached to eyebrow ridges) for longer times, and for more games than any of these goblins have been around for.

The only things required are "big noses" and "white hair". Our description is kind of limp-wristed about requiring white makeup on the face, but we can all agree that it looks much better.

If your nose isn't sticking on and you'd like to go up to the gonzo-size model with an attached brow ridge, which may or may not stick on better, I think we could mostly get behind it. I'm uninterested in wussifying our costume requirements because a few players are unwilling to blend their proths with liquid latex.

All Snow Goblins share two distinct traits, long crooked noses and stark white hair. Snow Goblin characters are required to wear a nose prosthetic that makes their nose long and crooked. It is required that the nose prosthetic be blended with the Snow Goblins skin color with some form of make-up and that the nose is attached to the players head with prosthetic adhesive. Nose prosthetics attached with a strap are not permitted and full-face masks are permitted only on a case-by-case basis with the approval of Logistics. Players playing Snow Goblins that are naturally pale are highly encouraged to lighten their natural skin tone more with white make-up. Players with dark complexions may be required to do so.

Snow Goblins have long hair of pure white that they often intricately braid or attach bones, decorations, or trophies to. Players are required to completely hide their hair under a long white wig. Players may not claim that their own hair is sufficiently white. Players with facial hair must completely cover it with a white fake beard and moustache, or color it white. Highly motivated players will also color their eyebrows!

Optionally, Snow Goblins are allowed to add additional costuming in the form of physical irregularities. These can include things such as extremely oversized noses, pointed ears, canine teeth or fangs, or ritual scarring. These irregularities in no way grant the Snow Goblin special abilities or penalties, and once used become a permanent part of the characters costume and may not be discarded later for convenience, but are highly encouraged and will help your character stand out.

Snow Goblin clothing is an amalgam of oriental clothing or armor pieces. Warriors fight with standard oriental weapons such as katanas or naginatas.

I swear to christ I had another post here. Wonder where it went. Anyways...

I AM interested in "wussifying" the Snow Goblin costuming requirements, as Dan says. Snow Goblins, unlike Drakes, are a race that needs to be played regularly - they DO run a kingdom, after all. Snow Goblins were also not meant to be hard to do in a makeup/proths sense - that was Drakes.

We've been trying all year to make the proths work, and they just don't hold up. Maybe liquid latex is the answer, but we're already into going on two hours of makeup and costuming. Neither Drew nor I have the patience for more. We came into this with the best intentions, which I think was pretty obvious, but a year later it's just too much. We're going to largely retire the characters if the requirements don't change. It's so much work we can't have fun.

In the end, I think that it's more important to have races that are actually played and make a difference and an impact than to have too many races that are ZOMG COOL looking like Drakes. One of those is enough.

I'd like to change the requirements for Snow Goblins to:

white wig

fangs/tusks

white highlights (not full whiteface/all exposed skin)

We can leave in the parts about significant physical variations and mutations if people want to go farther with it. Leave the Oriental flavor completely intact, no reason to mess with that.

I'm hearing a lot of Goblin costume hate here. Are you guys planning on dropping these characters? If so, I'd like to know before I dump a bunch of effort and money into stuff for a plot centered on them.

For the HOT months, I'll probably be playing an alt instead of Iga. Between the sweat unsticking the glue, and the bugs crawling around behind my facemask (especially cranky = bugs crawling on my face where I can't get to them), summer was hell. I won't retire Iga, but I will be alting in the future. If this means dumping a plot for us, dump away.

My concern here wasn't for US, so much as for other players though. At some point, it'd be nice to see other SGs in game. Or if not, put something people will be willing/want to play.

My concern here wasn't for US, so much as for other players though. At some point, it'd be nice to see other SGs in game. Or if not, put something people will be willing/want to play.

I agree, I'd like to make as many things as accessible as possible. We already have Drakes that are pretty much unplayable, why keep SGs as hard too?

I'm pretty biased against makeup myself, so I'd be in favor of this. Maybe we should put this topic up in front of the peanut gallery and see what they think? Maybe we'll get some good suggestions from them for the new book.

I'm pretty biased against makeup myself, so I'd be in favor of this. Maybe we should put this topic up in front of the peanut gallery and see what they think? Maybe we'll get some good suggestions from them for the new book.

As Drew's makeup squire for Iga, I'd second the "it's really freakin' hard, and not all that fun to do" vibe. As the one who hears all his at-home mental meandering, he loves playing a Samurai. As a player interacting with the HoCB, I like that they're visibly, startlingly different from the majority of other characters.

Combine those three things, and I'd vote for making the requirements easier, but not lame. Noses are hard to keep on, but I, personally, like the starkness of the white faces. It adds an "I'm different from you" vibe that's very cool.

It's a really cool race to play, other than the proths. I LOVE playing the HoCB, but putting on the proths sucks. The makeup I don't mind - that doesn't fall off.

I figure teeth are easy, and make the race visibly non-human. Maybe teeth and ears... Normal elf ears (not my silly ears that hang off the back of my ear and won't stay on) stay on good, as they just sit on top. Teeth, ears, white makeup and white wig is a lot of work right there. I'm talking cool-ass vampire teeth, just fang canine caps, rather than the ridiculous rubber inserts we use for orcs. Snow Goblins should look imposing and sinister, rather than comical, if people are going to play them.

From a business viewpoint (not the most valid one, but needs consideration anyways), having an oriental-flavored race that's playable by the masses is a draw for the anime crowd. That thought makes me want to go hang myself, but it has to be considered.

Diversity is fun. Humans are just one of several races in Novitas, and the more accessible we can make them the better it is for the game, I think. I'm not saying dumb them completely down, just eliminate proths as much as possible.

But you loose alot in the way of facial expressions when you use a mask- facial expressions are important!

Masks also don't work with glasses. We'll never have a PC race with a full face mask requirement for that reason, and because of the above-mentioned loss of facial expression. People are free to wear them if they would rather do that (and it's appropriate), of course.

What about drakes? It would be nice to have more drakes in game, but as was stated before they are almost unplayable. Is there a way to bring down the costume requirements for drakes without making them look totaly lame?

Another option if you want to get more people to pc as drakes and snow goblins is to give them special abilities. Perhaps a drake could spend ten skill points to become monstorus once they have four body. I know that would be a huge thing, but I think players that put in that much time and money into their costume should have some kind of reward. They make the game a lot more fun and interesting for everyone so personaly I wouldn't mind if they were a bit more powerful in game.

We don't particularly need more Drakes. They're a PC race, yes, but they don't have their own kingdom and stay mostly aloof from the goings-on of the lands. We also want one race that people who really want to wear makeup and proths can do to look really, really cool. The requirements for Drakes are not likely to change for those reasons.

Snow Goblins, however, were envisioned as an easy race to play, on par (or a little more difficult) than Terrans or Elves. It turns out, after playing one for a season, that they're really not like that. Playing a Snow Goblin well takes way over an hour to get ready for. Playing an Elf or a Terran takes ten minutes. And because Snow Goblins are an "important" race in Novitas (they run a kingdom, are active in international politics, etc.), we'd like to have them more playable.

Giving races special abilities is NEVER going to happen. It's a road we've been down before, and it just leads to shitty roleplaying and crappy costuming and piss-poor makeup. Lazy min-maxers will start to play Elves to get a bonus +1 damage with bows, or whatever we offer. The incentive for playing a non-human race is the language for free, plot, and just being cooler than the average human-schmuck - and that's all it's ever going to be.

Huzzah!

I wouldn't mind doing make-up instead of a proths.

I've no plans to retire Veria anytime soon, but I've had thoughts now and then about what I'd play next and was slightly saddened that my options are down to mostly human, maybe a Terran, because of the proth requirements of the other races.

I'm completely cool with covering my face in white/really light makeup and going from there. Hell I can use shadowing techniques to give the illusion that my nose is crooked/longer than it really is. If I really want to alter it I'll break down and buy the ExtraFlesh from Mehron I've been wanting and use that to alter the actual shape of my nose.

I also agree that the way Drakes are now are fine. In my mind they are supposed to be a rare race. How often do you really think you would meet dragon kin in the world?

To revisit this...

What if the hallmark of "Snow Goblins" was that they're white. White hair, white skin. Then require at least one other visible addition, including but not limited to:

ears

nose

fangs

extra limbs

extra eye

deformity

horns

claws

extra fingers

costume contacts

We have always dabbled with the idea of mutations in Gersh. Let's go farther with it.