ubergeek2012

[Necromancy] Abomination

The last line of the Abomination spell states that someone with this spell active on them in unaffected by Unhallow and can enter those area freely. Are they barred from sanctified areas?

That would make sense to me. I think thematically it's supposed to make you look undead as well. I see it as a Ghastly Visage on crack.

-Brian

The last line of the Abomination spell states that someone with this spell active on them in unaffected by Unhallow and can enter those area freely. Are they barred from sanctified areas?

I believe that is the intent. Unlike Ghastly Visage, which is only appearance I believe, Abomination makes you into a monster.

I think yes, ghastly visage lets you into both unhallow and sanctify, abomination makes you an evil undead monster.

The evil part is debatable...

Nono, clearly all uses of necromancy are evil.

It's a good thing we ran Xavius and his evil girlfriend out of Pinedale, as she was clearly an evil necromancer.

Regardless of our personal views though, abomination makes you undead, with regards to sanctify/unhallow.

I wonder, what if we tacked on the rest of the downsides to being undead, and made it game-day?

After facing a shield wall of "monstrous 13" fighters, I'd again like to petition that Abomination not affect armor levels. Especially when a 1 pp 'magic armor' spell (or toughness.. or both)can add extra hits to a character/npc.

Weren't we going to change the Monstrous ability in general so that it covered body and armor (including natural), but not magic armor spells?

I don't see the problem. Each of those characters had easily 20 power worth of buffs on them, and a couple of dispels and they'd be SOL.

And thus the argument in another thread about making dispel easer to get. With everyone running around with magic armor at a minimum, not to mention anti- magic shield, spirit shield and imp magic armor ( all lvl 3 or under) It would take a ot of level 4 dispels to take care of a party. Perhaps its time to talk about this again.

Doesn't dispel take care of EVERY magic effect?

four power for ten-fifteen power seems right to me.

Doesn't fix everything if they have a Reflect up, otherwise it gets it all.

Also its a lvl 4 spell, so I can probably count on 1 hand the number of PC's who have the spell.

It appears this gripe is with the 13 "hits" monstrous PCs fighting the rediculous high fae who hit for smite damage (negating any mediums/shadowskin/dominated trolls).

I don't think it's a problem anyway. The game's still deadly, it only seems they're awesome tanks because of what we're used to.

Doesn't fix everything if they have a Reflect up, otherwise it gets it all.

The spell description for Dispel Magic lists Anti-Magic Shield, Anti-Magic Aura, and Aura of Reflection as valid protections.

I think we are getting off topic with the dispell stuff. That being said I think Necromance is weak in compairison to other magic schools. I'm in favor of making Abomination last the gameday, and covers everything, that way we won't have as much trouble calculating damage, but make the person immune to healing magic until the spell is gone.

It might be cool if necromancers had some attack spells that harm things other than undead. Perhaps they can cast Poison Dart, it could be like a hand of death 2 armor skipping damage, make it a level 2 or 3 spell. Or give them extra role play abilities, perhaps they can speak with undead, but not spirits. Undead could seek out a necromancer if they wish to be final rested, and the necromancer could aquire their sevice for a short time in return.

I'm in favor of making Abomination last the gameday, and covers everything, that way we won't have as much trouble calculating damage, but make the person immune to healing magic until the spell is gone.

No one will ever cast it with that caveat.

It might be cool if necromancers had some attack spells that harm things other than undead. Perhaps they can cast Poison Dart, it could be like a hand of death 2 armor skipping damage, make it a level 2 or 3 spell.

I'm not sure if I like that because it's interesting, or because I've been playing a lot of Diablo II LoD.

Or give them extra role play abilities, perhaps they can speak with undead, but not spirits. Undead could seek out a necromancer if they wish to be final rested, and the necromancer could aquire their sevice for a short time in return.

That already gets done. That was practically every other adventure with Adimo. No need to codify it in the rules. If the Necromancer is truly acting like a Necromancer, and not just an adventurer with some necromantic spells, they'll get plenty of plot.

"It might be cool if necromancers had some attack spells that harm things other than undead"

As one of the only PCs actively buying the Necromancy tree, I'm totally fine with it not being battle magic (outside of the undead). It's death magic. Period. Also, as a Necromancer who follows the Stranger, it works really well that the tree can be effectively used for watching, waiting, and reacting more than attacking. (read the description of the Stranger sometime, and then I dare you to tell me Nasri should "attack more". ;))

That said, the fact that I'm one of the only PCs actively buying the Necromancy tree may say something all on its own.

Yeah, it says that the original town Necrotaker/Undermancer was recently murdered in the street...

Yeah, it says that the original town Necrotaker/Undermancer was recently murdered in the street...

I heard that rumor...

I know it's slightly off topic, but what exactly...does Ghastly Visage do?

It does exactly what it says it does:

Ghastly Visage

Type: Necromancy

Level: 1

Duration: ten minutes

Range: touch

Dispel: yes

This spell makes its target appear to be a lesser undead to other undead. To other living creatures, the target appears normal. The target gains no undead abilities, benefits or drawbacks. The recipient of the spell must choose what type of lesser undead to appear as when the spell is cast.

Note that creatures under the effects of Ghastly Visage may freely enter an area under the effects of an Unhallow spell for the duration of the Ghastly Visage effect.