hivemind

[Battle Magic] Rough Draft

Taking bits from the other Battle Magic threads...

1. Magic Strike - Next successful attack of weapon touched deals 4 points of magic damage

1. Mana Burn - Throw magic dart that drains 4 Magic Power points from target

2. Magic Swarm - Throw two magic darts dealing 4 points of damage

2. Strength - Target touched gains +1 melee damage, ten minute duration

3. Piercing Dart - Throw one magic dart dealing 4 points of damage, ignores Monstrous ability

3. Spellstore - Weapon touched stores a spell cast into it for later use, event duration

4. Big open hole here...

4. Maelstrom - Throw four magic darts dealing 4 points of damage each

5. Battle Mastery - Use any weapon and deal +1 magic damage, game day duration, self only

5. Battle Immunity - Target touched is immune to magic damage, game day duration

We need something for the other level 4 spell. Also, I think we should kick up the drain of Mana Burn to 4 points. No one takes it now, but if it drains 4 points instead of 2, it becomes a truly fearsome spell at level 1, but still highly situational. I feel that the very limited use and focus of the spell merits it an increase in effect.

What if we tweak another level for level 4?

Magic Flurry: Next four strikes hit for 4 magic

Greater Strength: Target touched hits for +1 damage, game day duration

Battle Competency: Target touched can use any weapon and hits for +1 magic damage, 10 minute duration

Level 4 ideas, off the top of my head.

+ Disarm: 4 tagbags, victim hit must drop their drawn weapon for 1 minute. Does not affect "backup" weapons.

+ Echo/Ricochet: Lasts for 1 minute, for every battlemagic spell (not tagbag) that caster throws and connects the caster gets another 'free' battlemagic tagbag. For example, if you hit with 1 or 2 tagbags from a Maelstrom, you get another tagbag tacked for free to throw.

+ Enhance dart: Allows caster to use beachballs/dodgeballs in place of tagbags for battlemagic spells. Lasts for 10 minutes.

..that's all I got.

True. Tough to come up with more effects for the Wizardly School of Blasting. ;)

What about... Disentegrate?

Complete destroys unconscious/helpless creature, no chance of revival, no regeneration, etc etc.

I could see neat plot hooks dealing with it too.

Isn't that final rest?

What about a spell that does an unhealable GD limb wound? Or does that Nerf Heal Limb too much?

+ Echo/Ricochet: Lasts for 1 minute, for every battlemagic spell (not tagbag) that caster throws and connects the caster gets another 'free' battlemagic tagbag. For example, if you hit with 1 or 2 tagbags from a Maelstrom, you get another tagbag tacked for free to throw.

What about something like :

Arc: For the next 5 minutes any dart spell (in the battle magic tree) that hits its target and deals damage grants you one additional tag bag to use on a seperate near-by target. Multiple dart spells such as magic swarm will grant multiple arcs granted the original darts hit a target and dealt damage.

We could go with something that blows up stuff like doors and chests. Maybe have it blow up shields as well. Call it Shattering Blast.

-Brian

We used to have a "Disenchant" spell that would turn off the magical effects of items. We got rid of it due to underutilization.

The "Arc" thing seems to leave too much room for cheating to me. I can see that spell becoming "I'm gonna chuck magic darts 'till the encounter's over". I also see it being very, very hard to adjudicate and impossible to use at night.

We could go with something that blows up stuff like doors and chests. Maybe have it blow up shields as well. Call it Shattering Blast.

-Brian

Or "Gronding" ;)

Howabout a shotgun spell. Let's you throw a Swarm or Maelstrom all at once. All 4 tagbags go out in one toss, for example?

Howabout a shotgun spell. Let's you throw a Swarm or Maelstrom all at once. All 4 tagbags go out in one toss, for example?

Sounds like a instant gib vs a shield user- to easy of a target for a shotgun blast.

Sounds like a instant gib vs a shield user- to easy of a target for a shotgun blast.

Against anyone half agile or at night you're also more lkely to simply blow your wad and miss adn then feel dumb afterwords as you get cut down. ;)

-Brian

Or "Gronding" ;)

We could call it something like Sundering Strike and add in the Armor Skipping that Dave mentioned.

-Brian

We could call it something like Sundering Strike and add in the Armor Skipping that Dave mentioned.

-Brian

That's called a "bullet", and is one of the reasons people stopped wearing armor.

Wall of fire? Cast the spell, you have 10' of blue tape that may effectively become an uncrossable wall. Must be break-away (no blue-dyed rope) and secured at waist level. Needs to have glowsticks for it to be relevant at night. Spell lasts 10 minutes?

/Still tossing out random ideas

That's called a "bullet", and is one of the reasons people stopped wearing armor.

I don't see it that way. We've already added a spell in the tree that gives the battle mage a way to overcome heavily armored opponents. I don't see a reason why a door or shield shouldn't be able to be stopped by a determined Battle Mage focused on the brute magical force approach. Also requireing them hit with it in melee is possibly better then making another tag bag spell for the tree.

-Brian

Wall of fire? Cast the spell, you have 10' of blue tape that may effectively become an uncrossable wall. Must be break-away (no blue-dyed rope) and secured at waist level. Needs to have glowsticks for it to be relevant at night. Spell lasts 10 minutes?

/Still tossing out random ideas

Seems more like Aegis or Nature magic to me.

-Brian

The wall thing can't be done efficiently in combat, you'd have to call a hold to lay it out. I don't like that.

Brian's idea has merit, and I think it's workable, I just question the utility of it.

I don't want to see battle magic that ignores armor, plain an simple.

I'd like to see a spell that blows open magic locked doors, opens locks, breaks shields, that would be cool.

The wall thing can't be done efficiently in combat, you'd have to call a hold to lay it out. I don't like that.

Brian's idea has merit, and I think it's workable, I just question the utility of it.

Oh noes! Ogres are holding the inn door shut and no one can get it open. I blow up said door and solve said problem. I look at it as the brutish response to dispel magic for getting past a lock or magic lock. I think that having it blow up shields will give it the combat utility to see it used in combat.

I do think it's a little weak for a level 4 spell though. Maybe we put this at level 3 and bumb the ignore monstrous spell to level 4 but give it 2 tag bags?

-Brian

Versatility makes it good.

You get the benefit of the following effects:

1)Destroy Shield

2)Sunder Door

3)Blast Magic Lock

Brute force is naturally going to be less efficient than refined magic like Dispel. I like it.

Shields are in for a bad time though. Poor little guys, gone from tag-bag targets to being destroyed by spells and bog-lurker spooge... Sheesh.