ubergeek2012

Magic School Mastery

Dan mentioned having some sort of bonus or incentive for hardcore muthas that learn every spell in a school (I'd include Rituals in that if it were up to me). Personally, I think this is a cool idea. Anyone who spends 31 skill points to learn every spell in a school is showing some serious dedication. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Somewhere, sometime, we talked about this before. Suggestions ranged from a special ability, to more power points, what I'd like to see would let players cast that school at -1 power (minimum 0).

Somewhere, sometime, we talked about this before. Suggestions ranged from a special ability, to more power points, what I'd like to see would let players cast that school at -1 power (minimum 0).

I was actually thinking pretty much the same thing, but 0 power for 1st level spells is too good in my opinion. The difference between 1 and 0 is just too great. I'm just imagining unlimited magic armors and toughness for all. 1/2 a power point or a 2/1 deal wouldn't be so bad though.

Another option would be to add "meta magic" abilities, for example the ability to add an extra tag bag to a tag spell, or an extra target for a touch spell.

*golf clap*

There's alot we could do with this.

Of course there's a lot we can do. The question is, what do we actually want to do. Personally I'm thinking that a slight efficiency boost for masters would be cool, and probably not broken. The only one I'm a little concerned about is the new magic dart spells in Battle Magic, which are already really efficient.

Yeah, my initial impulse of (one less power per spell) irks me if I think about three-power maelstroms. Ha!

Still, I'd love to whip out purify spirits for half cost *sigh*

I would like to allow the player to create a custom spells at standard xp cost. Player can summit a spell and DMs give him and xp cost and maybe a quest to do for research. Allow lv six spells 4 tagbags. Or Atticus' Mass Rez. excessive?

Only thing I worry is that anything big bonus like will make the game more Munchkiny.

Yeah, my initial impulse of (one less power per spell) irks me if I think about three-power maelstroms. Ha!

Still, I'd love to whip out purify spirits for half cost *sigh*

I think it works for just about every spell except for (the new versions of) Maelstrom and Magic Swarm. It's actually worse for Magic Swarm that Maelstrom. 2 darts for 1 power is .5 power per dart, where 3 power for 4 darts is .75 power per dart.

I'd hate to ditch the idea just because of these two spells though. Hmmmm....

I think a general boost in efficiancy is sufficient. I'm less concerned about the dart spells at that point. Yes, Magic Swarm becomes slightly more efficient then Maelstrom but with Maelstrom you're getting it all at once rather than in two burts.

I also agree that if we do the -1 power we'd need to make it 2 for 1 or something similar cause unlimited Magic Armors, Magic Strikes and/or Mana Burns is a bit much.

-Brian

Also if we wanted we could make Mastery a new mini RP skill that you buy after attaining all the spells. Have it only cost 1 or 2 Skill Points but effectivly letting you use the title of Master Battle Magus or some such. Also maybe have Rituals and the like that require a Master of a specific school to perform.

-Brian

I kind of like the idea of some sort of Master title, but why charge for it at that point? They've already spent 31 points not counting power points. Fuck it, they can have the title for free as far as I'm concerned.

Also remember these skills will be relatively uncommon- its 33 skill points just to reach the bonus round (31 for spells, 1 for rituals, 1 for power) - a more likely scenario will be 45+ skill points when you take into consideration power. Even then, if you were to exclusively do this with your PC, you would have 3 armor max, no body, no shield, and wield a non-marshal weapon for 1 - not very survivable.

Yeah, I'd have to spend another 13 skill points to max out restoration. *groan*

Hopefully, with the changes we're making to some spells, it'll be worth it though!

I would offer them an additional 2 points of Magic Power, letting them go beyond 20 with it. I would give them a title for free (Master Battle Mage, Arch-Elementalist, whatever they want).

I would then let them do it repeatedly for multiple schools, gaining those benefits each time they max a school.

I would offer them an additional 2 points of Magic Power, letting them go beyond 20 with it. I would give them a title for free (Master Battle Mage, Arch-Elementalist, whatever they want).

I would then let them do it repeatedly for multiple schools, gaining those benefits each time they max a school.

That sounds reasonable.

-Brian

I would like to allow the player to create a custom spells at standard xp cost. Player can summit a spell and DMs give him and xp cost and maybe a quest to do for research. Allow lv six spells 4 tagbags. Or Atticus' Mass Rez. excessive?

Only thing I worry is that anything big bonus like will make the game more Munchkiny.

NO!!! No custom spells. That gets ugly. You end up having to call a Time Stop to explain the effects of every spell because there's so many out there you just can't track them anymore. With 2 per level, per school, it's difficult enough to remember all of the spells.

Custom spells is right out the door. No chance of that ever happening. Some of us have seen it in action, and it ain't pretty.

I'd rather see something school-specific, or otherwise efficiency-related, instead of two more power.

That's me though, I'm the guy with 17 power and pouches full of consumables. I'd rather use a scroll of heal body than use power on that damned spell. I'm weird I guess.

Not really. You still get the same mileage out of a Minor Power Elixir, for example. Also, it just increases you overall power without really focusing on your mastered school.

Carrying more gas doesn't make an F-350 get 50 miles to the gallon.

Plus imho its does not pass the "cool" factor- if you look at the lvl 5 RP skills you say cool, I would love to have that- gaining 2 extra points of power at the end of an even longer skill point path really doesn't excite me. Think of this skill as a different RP skill, but one that takes a much larger dedication of XP to gain and will take longer than even the RP skills to get. I would even support a RP prereq to obtain the bonus as well.