ubergeek2012

Magic School Mastery

I never said for nothing, make em pay for it- whats 2 or 4 skill points when you have allready expended 45+ to get their. The other reason I say this is because, unlike the RP skills where you are supposed to be taking the levels primarily for their RP value with the skills as a bonus- spells have an intrinsic value already. The end skill would be the icing on the cake of a full spell tree.

I would offer them an additional 2 points of Magic Power, letting them go beyond 20 with it. I would give them a title for free (Master Battle Mage, Arch-Elementalist, whatever they want).

I would then let them do it repeatedly for multiple schools, gaining those benefits each time they max a school.

I concur

Completing all spells in a particular school could also be the kick-start of a plot to get their Wizard's Staff, too. Luke wasn't a Jedi until he confronted Vader, a "full-up" Enchantment Mage isn't considered a Master Magician until he completes the quest for his Wizard's staff?

And in that way, we could make the Wizard's Staff unique to each particular magician, without rewriting rules or building new mechanics?

Completing all spells in a particular school could also be the kick-start of a plot to get their Wizard's Staff, too. Luke wasn't a Jedi until he confronted Vader, a "full-up" Enchantment Mage isn't considered a Master Magician until he completes the quest for his Wizard's staff?

And in that way, we could make the Wizard's Staff unique to each particular magician, without rewriting rules or building new mechanics?

I think opening doors would be better than 2 power and a title. We are talking a ridiculous amount of skill points require to get 2 power past the cap.

I also think a wizards staff is too cookie-cutter, and it would also make master mages compelled to use great weapons. I think a weapon the PC prefers, or an imbuing quest would be better. The question is, what cool things can the staff do? I think a little bit of customization would be cool here (pulling this from oblivion), different reagents from different beings, quests, or cool places at VK to add different effects to the imbue. At the end of it, something along the lines of +1 power, damage converted to magic, and any 1-2-3rd level spell once a day.

This is all brainstorming mind you.

Please elaborate. I like where I think you are going with this.

Also, a few extra power and I title I think are enough. The title should be a big deal. As was pointed out these are not traditional RP skills. Getting the benefit of an RP skill at the end ought to be enough, the two power is just mechanically giving a boost.

I would like to suggest that the title of Master Elementalist should carry weight in a similar way to Ordained and Noble. It ought to matter to all in a small way and a great deal to others.

We could at least do the title thing for anyone who filled all of their particular tree (not little dinky ones like merchant either). Crafting, combat, don't we already do a lesser version of this for Alchemy?

Please elaborate. I like where I think you are going with this.

Also, a few extra power and I title I think are enough. The title should be a big deal. As was pointed out these are not traditional RP skills. Getting the benefit of an RP skill at the end ought to be enough, the two power is just mechanically giving a boost.

I would like to suggest that the title of Master Elementalist should carry weight in a similar way to Ordained and Noble. It ought to matter to all in a small way and a great deal to others.

We could at least do the title thing for anyone who filled all of their particular tree (not little dinky ones like merchant either). Crafting, combat, don't we already do a lesser version of this for Alchemy?

I don't think it's quite the same thing. Anyone who has mastered an entire school of magic has effectively completed their "tree" twice, and spent a bunch on power as well in order to use it. Also, by learning more spells after a point you're really adding options more than you're adding actual power. You're probably going to end up with a bunch of spells you'll hardly ever use, as opposed to trees like crafting and weapon damage trees.

What would you define the combat tree as? Every skill that lets you wear armor/shield or use a type of weapon/get more damage, body?

I'd like to see more done like this, but I think we should start on the schools first.

What would you define the combat tree as? Every skill that lets you wear armor/shield or use a type of weapon/get more damage, body?

I'd like to see more done like this, but I think we should start on the schools first.

Agreed magic first.

I would say ALL OF IT.

Agreed magic first.

I would say ALL OF IT.

Yes let's figure out Magic first though I think JC has a point. I think Weapon Master or some such for having the entire tree isn't unwarrented. Someone who has done that has shown no less dedication then someone who's mastered a spell tree.

-Brian

Please elaborate.

I'd envision an extended quest, where there are a chain of goals that need to be accomplished, but *how* you accomplish them matters more than winning. I'm remembering back to that plot that Jeff ran years ago, where Marius and Jizelle were in that weird puzzle trap. They could have cut their limbs off to escape, but instead they figured out how to undo the trap. If that were part of the wizard's staff quest, both options would 'solve' the quest; but using violence versus puzzling it out would be noted. Every quest would reveal some aspect of the PC, and this would slowly build a pattern out of the body of evidence.

The idea here, is that at the end of the chain of quests, the 'character' of the Master Mage would be revealed, and a staff that exemplified that character would be the reward. Spell effects, the actual phys rep, how it was presented, all of that would tie into the evidence the pc revealed about his or herself.

This is modelled after Adimo becomes a Lich extended plot that was going on last year. Maybe the Player in question could request a particular GM to run this, even. GMs each have their own flavor or style of plots, and the player could petition his favored GM to run something for him.

That's all I had in mind, really.

I think it works for just about every spell except for (the new versions of) Maelstrom and Magic Swarm. It's actually worse for Magic Swarm that Maelstrom. 2 darts for 1 power is .5 power per dart, where 3 power for 4 darts is .75 power per dart.

I'd hate to ditch the idea just because of these two spells though. Hmmmm....

Perhaps make it a once per game day, or every hour? Or perhaps in battle magic you get an anti magic shield that deflects the first tag bag from any battle spell and you can recast it for 1 power point. Or battle mages could get a + 2 power bonus like ordained.