Kender

REAP SPIRIT questions

Mkay--

It was said that if someone Reaps my spark, there are only two ways to get it back for a Revive: 1) Get a medium to be a conduit between Reaper and dead, or 2) Kill the Reaper.

My question is about the second option. Does the Reaper have to be dead at the time of casting of Revive, or can he just be KB'd and all his sparks are freed?

Once a reaped spirit is returned to its body, and revived, is that person aware of who cast the spell on them? Is there any memory of the experience transferred back with the spark (i.e. is the spirit in torment, while reaped)?

Mkay--

It was said that if someone Reaps my spark, there are only two ways to get it back for a Revive: 1) Get a medium to be a conduit between Reaper and dead, or 2) Kill the Reaper.

My question is about the second option. Does the Reaper have to be dead at the time of casting of Revive, or can he just be KB'd and all his sparks are freed?

I don't understand the question I guess.

A corpse can't be revived without its spark.

The only way to get a spark back from a reaper is to KB the reaper. At which point, all sparks the reaper had reaped (which haven't expired), flit back instantaneously to their owners' corpses.

so I guess it's yes and yes? A Reaper needs to be KB'd to free all his sparks, before any of his victims can be revived.

And remember, if the spark has been away from its body for too long, it moves on to the well, and is lost forever.

"The Well" is not heaven, hell, or purgatory. Sparks have no names, no faces, and no identities. The Well is a recycling center, where the sparks of life go and get melted together into a big homogeneous mass.

There's only three states for a spark: ALive (in a living thing), undead (trapped), or in the well.

Once a reaped spirit is returned to its body, and revived, is that person aware of who cast the spell on them? Is there any memory of the experience transferred back with the spark (i.e. is the spirit in torment, while reaped)?

Sparks have no mind, no memory, no emotions, no personality, are not intelligent, etc etc etc.

so, no.

If you're bleeding out, you're aware of what's going on around you, vaguely. If you're KB'd, you're unconscious and unaware.

Reaped spirits are not in torment, but it's -unnatural-. Think of how "Nature abhors a Vacuum".

What happens in the situation where a player reaps a soul at the end of their 2 shift PC slot?

I believe it was decided that it (Reap Spirit) continues on until the end of the next gameday. (Pretty much the same timeframe the player has to be Revived).

So say we decide to kill someone not reap their soul and just put them in a place no one will find them, do the same rules apply for how long that person has to be revived?

Just trying to weigh the odds, if its actually worth reaping a soul..

What happens in the situation where a player reaps a soul at the end of their 2 shift PC slot?

depends.

Is it a PC?

is it the end of the game?

if a PC reaps another PC, and the reaper is going to run out of PC time before the spark expires, we'll probably force the reaper to stay in game, and then dock them a shift next game.

The spirit of the change to final rest-> reap spirit is to avoid the ninja final rests. No longer can I sprint through combat final resting PCs i don't like that have fallen, and then run off scot free. Ideally, you'll have to be in control of the situation in order to reap somebody

To make examples: when Marius died at the start of the friday night shift, that would've been a fine time to reap his spirit and leave his corpse in the middle of town naked or whatever.

However, when Rothgar killed Moonfather, or Drace/Omar killed Adimo, those were skeevy ways to kill a player. They weren't in control of the situation, and effectively just "Cruise-missled" (murder with no possibility of survival)

So say we decide to kill someone not reap their soul and just put them in a place no one will find them, do the same rules apply for how long that person has to be revived?

Just trying to weigh the odds, if its actually worth reaping a soul..

Yes, leaving a corpse in the woods (assuming the corpse's player plays along), is a "safe" way to dispose of somebody.

As I said above though, if you can carry a body out of town, you're probably in control of the situation, and you're kosher.

And if the dead person demands that you carry/drag them away, and refuses to play along by helping you move them, they are completely allowed to do that.

What happens if a PC reaps another PC at 1am on saturday night?

Also, would the staying in game thing apply to NPC's that are heavily involved in in PC interaction (Bertolli is the only one that comes easily to mind to me), or are all NPCs just SOL?

depends.

Is it a PC?

is it the end of the game?

if a PC reaps another PC, and the reaper is going to run out of PC time before the spark expires, we'll probably force the reaper to stay in game, and then dock them a shift next game.

"The Well" is not heaven, hell, or purgatory. Sparks have no names, no faces, and no identities. The Well is a recycling center, where the sparks of life go and get melted together into a big homogeneous mass.

From the Stranger section of the Religion chapter of the rulebook: "At the moment of death, she collects those freed from life and worthy of her embrace and carries them to this paradise, this Well of Souls. There, they enter new mysteries and beauty unknown to all mortality...Finally, the Stranger bestowed upon mortals the gift of afterlife as both incentive towards and reward for honoring the gods and keeping their principles."

Should we be ignoring that stuff written in the Religion chapter and start adjusting these afterlife beliefs in-character in this new season? Are there plans to go into more detail about this stuff in the World Book?

And if the dead person demands that you carry/drag them away, and refuses to play along by helping you move them, they are completely allowed to do that.

I know it says in the rulebook that if someone gives permission for a physical search, but you don't want to touch them, you can demand a detailed search instead. Same kind of thing with binding people with rope, where if you don't want to actually try to tie them up, you can just do it loosely and pretend its tied perfectly. I'm just curious, why is carrying/dragging different than these two types of actions?

From the Stranger section of the Religion chapter of the rulebook: "At the moment of death, she collects those freed from life and worthy of her embrace and carries them to this paradise, this Well of Souls. There, they enter new mysteries and beauty unknown to all mortality...Finally, the Stranger bestowed upon mortals the gift of afterlife as both incentive towards and reward for honoring the gods and keeping their principles."

Should we be ignoring that stuff written in the Religion chapter and start adjusting these afterlife beliefs in-character in this new season? Are there plans to go into more detail about this stuff in the World Book?

I know it says in the rulebook that if someone gives permission for a physical search, but you don't want to touch them, you can demand a detailed search instead. Same kind of thing with binding people with rope, where if you don't want to actually try to tie them up, you can just do it loosely and pretend its tied perfectly. I'm just curious, why is carrying/dragging different than these two types of actions?

We are going into more detail on the afterlife stuff in the worldbook. I will also say (perhaps at my own peril) that religions lie to their followers all the time. There's no -harm- with your dudes believing in an afterlife, but as the world-builders, we get to say what actually happens.

As to the second question: We don't make you physically bind people with rope (in fact we'd really prefer if you didn't, for safety/liability issues)... err, for safety and liability reasons.

Searching is a lot more involved than carrying/dragging/moving. I can say I don't want to search Leslie, because let's say she hides her coins in her "lady pocket" (bra), and I'm not comfortable digging around in there.

However, if I say "I pick you up and drag you into the woods" and she says "go ahead!" I don't really have a problem tossing her over my shoulder and tromping into the swamp.

If I try that same trick on Rick, "I carry you into the woods", he's either going to play nice and walk with me, or he's going to say "good luck" and lay there.

TLDR version: Because they're different.

If I keep playing Emrys I don't want to know this spell, the way its now used is not why I took it. Also, medium 2 used to be final rest 1/gd, is it now Reap Spirit 1/gd?

If I keep playing Emrys I don't want to know this spell, the way its now used is not why I took it. Also, medium 2 used to be final rest 1/gd, is it now Reap Spirit 1/gd?

Yes, mediums now have reap spirit 1/gd.

If you took the spell to give "last rites" to friends and family, then you're outta luck, and were "doin it wrong" anyway.

If you took the spell to send undead to their final rest, then you're cool, because reaping an undead's spirit sends it straight to the well.

I would also rule that reaping a corpse after revive doesn't work anymore also prevents undeath, but don't quote me on that, or expect it to stick.

so, why'd Emrys take the spell?

Thanks Dan, that answer makes sense.

I've got a couple of another questions:

What's the explanation for sparks trapped inside of undead? Is a zombie created by a necromancer putting a spark into a dead body and reanimating it? Is a ghost just some sort of spiritual glitch where the spark didn't move on to the Well because of some tragic death or unfinished business? Actually, since sparks are just these unintelligent forces of life, what exactly is a ghost if not the soul of some deceased person?

Yes, mediums now have reap spirit 1/gd.

If you took the spell to give "last rites" to friends and family, then you're outta luck, and were "doin it wrong" anyway.

If you took the spell to send undead to their final rest, then you're cool, because reaping an undead's spirit sends it straight to the well.

I would also rule that reaping a corpse after revive doesn't work anymore also prevents undeath, but don't quote me on that, or expect it to stick.

so, why'd Emrys take the spell?

A bit of each, mostly for the restless dead thing. I wasn't at the feast and haven't seen the handout so all I am getting is second hand. Could a copy of it be posted? the take I got on it was more towards the creepy and 'unnatural' as you called it and it seemed like there was never a good reason to do it.

A bit of each, mostly for the restless dead thing. I wasn't at the feast and haven't seen the handout so all I am getting is second hand. Could a copy of it be posted? the take I got on it was more towards the creepy and 'unnatural' as you called it and it seemed like there was never a good reason to do it.
This spell causes a Killing Blow if cast upon a mortally wounded recipient. The caster of this spell absorbs the life-spark from the once-living target. When a body has had its spirit ‘reaped’ it cannot be revived unless the spirit is returned. If the caster is in proximity of the recipient of the spell, a Medium may pull the spirit out of the caster and force it back into the original owner’s body. In addition, the death of the caster releases the spirit which is then returned to the original target of the spell. Only Mediums are able to see this stolen life-spark on the caster of Reap Spirit. To do so, the Medium would say, “I am a Medium, are you holding any spirits?” (This would be an out-of-game conversation). If the life-spark is not returned to the body by the end of the next Game Day then the effect becomes permanent (thus preventing the target from ever being revived). This length of time may span between two Events if need be. Casters of this spell are expected to remain in play to allow an opportunity to return the spirit back to its owner. If cast upon an Undead target, the life force of the creature is far too weak to be absorbed into the caster and is destroyed, therefore preventing the reanimation of the undead creature. (Note: This spell will NOT be available in Potion or Oil form.)

Thanks Dan, that answer makes sense.

I've got a couple of another questions:

What's the explanation for sparks trapped inside of undead? Is a zombie created by a necromancer putting a spark into a dead body and reanimating it? Is a ghost just some sort of spiritual glitch where the spark didn't move on to the Well because of some tragic death or unfinished business? Actually, since sparks are just these unintelligent forces of life, what exactly is a ghost if not the soul of some deceased person?

Ghosts are spirits that didn't make it to the well. So are other undead that aren't created.

Necromancers steal sparks from the well. That's why the stranger hates necromancy, and that's why necromancy is friggin evil.

After the second Game Day when the effect becomes permanent, would a Medium still see a life-spark on somebody? Like, if I reaped a spirit three months ago, and a medium looks for reaped spirits on me, would they see it?

Ghosts are spirits that didn't make it to the well. So are other undead that aren't created.

What's the difference between a spirit and a spark?

After the second Game Day when the effect becomes permanent, would a Medium still see a life-spark on somebody? Like, if I reaped a spirit three months ago, and a medium looks for reaped spirits on me, would they see it?

no

What's the difference between a spirit and a spark?

spirits have minds

sparks are ectoplasm