Sign in to follow this  
Papa Goob

Revive question

Let's say there is a creepy fucker with a PC's heart in a bag. Said heart was taken from the body at the time of the murder. How long is the heart a viable "target" for Revive? Is there any language in the rules about when a person's spark naturally goes away?

(Forgive me if this is already clearly stated somewhere, my handouts are in the car and I am disinterested in putting on pants. I am however, wearing a fez.)

Let's say there is a creepy fucker with a PC's heart in a bag. Said heart was taken from the body at the time of the murder. How long is the heart a viable "target" for Revive? Is there any language in the rules about when a person's spark naturally goes away?

(Forgive me if this is already clearly stated somewhere, my handouts are in the car and I am disinterested in putting on pants. I am however, wearing a fez.)

Sparks travel on to the well at the end of the next game day, whether they are reaped or not.

If a spirit is reaped (into a spark) at... 10:00pm saturday night, if you can get the reaper and the corpse together before midnight friday at the next game, it's kosher.

If you reap a spirit at game-on friday night (cough marius cough), and you can find it by noon the next day (Saturday) you're golden.

However, if a corpse is simply expiring due to its time running out, then "game day" time after game is called (basically 2 am - 6 am, or the month between events) finishes the countdown.

This is so if guy killed at 10 pm saturday night wasn't reaped, he can just make a new character rather than going back in as a corpse (ie: waste of a player) for three hours on friday.

This sounds more complicated than it is, and the more I think about it the more I want to just say "Sparks move on to the well after two in-game convergences".

I'll put some more thought into this when it's not late o'clock.

I think what he was asking is, if the reaper has a "souvenir" from the person - a finger, a heart, a head - is that enough to revive the person, even if you can't find the rest of the corpse? (Or maybe that's just what I'm wondering.)

Julie's got the heart of it. :)

I'm going to take a stab at this and say if you have the heart (taken at time of death), then you should be able to revive them using the heart as long as it's within the time constraints as per using a Revive spell.

This applies to all methods of revival and ties in parallel with the duration of the Reap Spirit spell, by my understanding. Dan, correct me if this is wrong. The 'spark' expires at the same time a player runs out of time to be revived (for simplicity).

I'm going to take a stab at this and say if you have the heart (taken at time of death), then you should be able to revive them using the heart as long as it's within the time constraints as per using a Revive spell.

This applies to all methods of revival and ties in parallel with the duration of the Reap Spirit spell, by my understanding. Dan, correct me if this is wrong. The 'spark' expires at the same time a player runs out of time to be revived (for simplicity).

yes.

I can take Ivan's thumb right now, but it's worthless.

if I take Ivan's thumb after he's KB'd, then I can revive him out of his thumb.

This is a fairly big change, and stops things like cheesy "I cut you into a bunch of one-inch cubes and a two-inch cube, and I take the biggest piece with me" (lame)

What kind of sick freak would have a heart on him.

What kind of sick freak would have a heart on him.

I know, really. And I've heard there are other bits floating around too. :lol:

I think there my be a head in some strange hunting cabin somewhere in the freelands =P

Trust me, coming from someone who carried it inside his armor, if you've touched it once, you NEVER want to touch it again. Ever. Ew.

Better hope no one casts revive on the mino-dong

Yes, except it's been well over a gameday since the minotaur's death. Thus, the dong has no lifespark.

Around inside your armor, Richard? Upper or lower half? :(

Around inside your armor, Richard? Upper or lower half? :(

Right by the Naval... On the inside... :(

Here's how it's going into the rulebook.

A Spark travels on to the well two convergences after "Death". Death being defined as the KB, or the point of bleeding out. Convergences only happen when game is on, because KoN effectively doesn't exist when game isn't on.

Now ask me questions on that.

Why is it unnatural to hold on to the spark with a Reap Spirit then? You aren't depriving the Well of anything, the spark comes back to the Well at about the same time with or without a Reap spirit. Why so gross and unnatural?

Why is it unnatural to hold on to the spark with a Reap Spirit then? You aren't depriving the Well of anything, the spark comes back to the Well at about the same time with or without a Reap spirit. Why so gross and unnatural?

I'm pretty sure this goes without much saying.. Why would you take someone's spark to hold onto, instead of just letting it go to the well peacefully.

Essentially when we KB things, they are "dead".. Lay it to rest by burying the body, not reaping it's spark. Think of it as Harry Potter, that's how I take it. Tearing a spark from someone is dark magic, not something that should be done. I'm pretty sure when someone dies they dont want someone to hold onto their spirit and carry it around.

Also, think when people die in the movies they see the "BRIGHT LIGHT". Revival time is before they reach that light. If you reap the soul, it delays it lol. Idk, i'm coming up with whatever BS answer I can think of

uh, because you're disrupting the natural order of things.

So I think to sum it up.

"Good people" use reap spirit on undead things to give the soul to the Well

"Evil people" use reap spirit to make sure the person they are trying to kill stays dead and the fact that they get a sick satisfaction of taking and keeping a spark until it goes to the well.

"Morally flexible people" use reap spirit as a bargaining chip, or to pay off debts, or to enact revenge.

KoN is a million shades of gray, remember?

I just had an interesting thought and forgive me if this has been mentioned.

Can anyone tell if someone has had their spark reaped? Or just Mediums?

If not just anyone can tell, and a revive is cast, does it fail and the healer loses the Magic Points?

Or can anyone just know that someone has had their spark stolen?

Diagnosis will tell you if a spirit has been reaped according to previous answers.

Diagnosis on a corpse will tell you if it's a valid target for revive, and why not.

A Medium can tell if a person is holding any spirits.