Sign in to follow this  
Kinger

Crafting Changes!!

Current thoughts on rods and wands are that rods are 18" or longer and wands are 8" to 16" long.

Honestly, I am a little irritated that it's necessary to explicitly spell out all this stuff. Anyone who has watched a Harry Potter movie knows what a wand should look like. Anyone who's ever looked at a picture of a king's scepter knows what a rod should look like, or, hell, a simple Google search: http://images.google.com/images?q=magic+rod

It's not like we're coming up with new, unique and unusual things here. Everything we're doing is solidly based in fantasy literature and artwork, roleplaying games, and fantasy movies. I would suggest that, if every time you want to make something you're scratching your head when trying to figure out what it should look like, you need to watch more fantasy movies and play some video games.

Stop trying to scrape by with the minimums! You may think you're being clever and efficient, but the staff thinks you're trying to play strictly by the letter of the rules and not by the spirit - otherwise, why would you need the letter of every rule spelled out for you? When 90% of the players get it, and have no problem playing the same way, it's a problem when there's 10% that needs special attention to keep the train on the tracks.

Also, Mike's suggestion is a fine one, and we'll do something like that in April. No one will be told they're losing an item or even that they can't use it in April because the item has changed or their prop is deemed substandard (if it was previously passed or got in unchecked). We will point out deficiencies and expect them to be fixed by May though.

I created a preliminary map of item slots today at work with corresponding comment areas for each one. I would really like to assist in this area at sign in by taking notes and distributing them to the staff and players.

At the same time, I don't want to make 150 sheets of copies, only to show up and be told "we don't need it that way."

I will have the copies made, and I will nuke my All-PC shift to help make the game awesome, I just need someone in a position of authority to ok it.

Also, Mike's suggestion is a fine one, and we'll do something like that in April. No one will be told they're losing an item or even that they can't use it in April because the item has changed or their prop is deemed substandard (if it was previously passed or got in unchecked). We will point out deficiencies and expect them to be fixed by May though.

I created a preliminary map of item slots today at work with corresponding comment areas for each one. I would really like to assist in this area at sign in by taking notes and distributing them to the staff and players.

At the same time, I don't want to make 150 sheets of copies, only to show up and be told "we don't need it that way."

I will have the copies made, and I will nuke my All-PC shift to help make the game awesome, I just need someone in a position of authority to ok it.

I think you're totally right that we need a piece of paper for these things.

I'm not positive it needs to be a map with pictures, but what do you have so far? Can you e-mail it to me?

I'm picturing a list of their numbered items, marked off by # of craft points, and what slot they currently are.

What happens to my bitchin' GM-created mask of Rituals of Enchantment & Compulsion? I was really hoping to use it once I find a ritual that requires either one? The mask used to be a Face slot....

What happens to my bitchin' GM-created mask of Rituals of Enchantment & Compulsion? I was really hoping to use it once I find a ritual that requires either one? The mask used to be a Face slot....

Mask is head.

Spectacles are accessory

Earrings are accesory

Get it?

It's a waist. Sashes go around your waist, unless you're Miss America.

LarpKoNJune2009_0115.JPG

Is prime trying to prove the point, or show that he's an exception?

I can't tell!

Point proven.

Wait, does this mean sashes worn over the shoulder aren't waist slots, or that Prime is Miss America? This is actually a serious question because we do have people who wear their sashes over their shoulders.

Wait, does this mean sashes worn over the shoulder aren't waist slots, or that Prime is Miss America? This is actually a serious question because we do have people who wear their sashes over their shoulders.

Yes, Yes, and we'll work on it.

The answer to your serious question is that the torso slot is a slot that has a lot of Craft Point capacity for Ornamenting. It has a lot of capacity because it is more expensive, in $$$, to get something for that slot. Someone bringing in an Ornamented breastplate or maille hauberk is hot shit. It is somewhat less cool when someone ornaments a tunic or shirt, but we've decided we're OK with that as long as it's well made, has trim, etc. However, when someone brings in a poorly-constructed tabard, that's not OK. When someone dumps 20 Craft Points into a strip of material they're hanging from their shoulder, it's total fucking cheese.

The body slots are given the capacity for Ornamentation that they are based on what we perceive to be the difficulty and/or expense in procuring an item that fits in that slot. When people do things like magic backpacks, magic do-rags, magic sashes, and magic shoelaces it trivializes the effort of the players who are going the extra mile to make sure that their ornamented items are actually of superior looks and quality. When you do this, you are making an end-run around the intention and spirit of the rules.

This is perceived by the Rules team to currently be the largest area of min-maxing and loop-holing in the game, and we're taking steps this season to rectify that. Ornamenting is cheaper than Weaponcrafting for two reasons:

1. A sword that casts a spell is still a sword after the spell is used, and hence, good for killing stuff. There is a game advantage there. A magic shirt is just a glowing shirt after it's property is used up.

2. Latex weapons are pretty cheap and readily available. They're really cheap if you're making them yourself. Armor and garb tend to not be as cheap, and/or take more effort.

If we wanted to see magic sashes and do-rags, we'd have made the cost of Ornamenting the same as Weaponsmithing. Since it is lower, the trade-off is that the items there are held to a very high standard for appearance and construction, and we're going to be very picky about what is and isn't a valid item for a certain slot.

If we wanted to see magic sashes and do-rags, we'd have made the cost of Ornamenting the same as Weaponsmithing. Since it is lower, the trade-off is that the items there are held to a very high standard for appearance and construction, and we're going to be very picky about what is and isn't a valid item for a certain slot.

That attitude is totally going to prevent someone from coming in to game like this...

worf.jpg

We can live with that.

Also: We don't want Klingons in game.

Just paint him stark white and give him vampire fangs. He'll fit right in. ;)

I see the refunding bit added to the original post. So if you have something that has, say +2 armor, then you have to turn it in and take coin instead? Would it be possible to adjust what it does instead of removing it from play?

The refund bit is about turning in items on death/retirement. Items which gave +2 armor will now give +1 Armor.

Mike, there are no more restrictions available to the players.

Again I fail at proofreading Rick's work. I've quoted here the entry from the feb feast notes.

Yes, this will be seen as a nerf, but I'm going to blame Rick for it.

OMGWTFFIX

Ornamenting, plus armor:

8 craft points for +1

Can not break 4 point cap.

Does not stack with Enhance Armor

This effect works on armor worn. You can have a belt of +1 armor, but unless you're wearing valid armor, the enchant does nothing.

OMGWTFFIX

"If at all possible, they incorporate some blue. More blue is more better." - Dave H

The color scheme for my ornamented vest, earth tones with gold and shiny, didnt work well with blue, so I took the above quote to mean that would be alright, as long as it looked ornate. I did the same with a ring.

I was told if it doesnt have blue it wont pass.

so which is it?

We have in the past passed items as being magical provided they are of excellent quality. For example, my Magic Pants™ that Wei wore had only a couple threads of blue. They were essentially black pants, and we passed them.

The reason I thought things were supposed to be blue was as an indicator of a magic blue glowing aura. This is why we tag spells with blue strips and why magic items are supposed to have blue in them. We are supposed to know in this system when magic is being used and things that posses magical abilities. I thought magic in our game is not supposed secretive, that it is common place in our world and we are all supposed to have the ability to see it being used. This is why I was enforcing this rule at props check.

"Some spells require the use of blue flags to indicatethe presence of a magical field or"

"Players should make every attempt to some blue coloration into all items brought in-game, to represent magical nature of these items. Jewelry should have blue stones, clothing or armor should be blue, or at least incorporate blue trim, leather items should be made of blue leather, dyed blue, or be studded with blue gems, metal armor should be painted blue, and so forth. The Game Masters may reject your items if they are not sufficiently extraordinary looking."

P.s. i think it is total cheese to play semantics an use the word "attempt" yo get out of making an item blue when the rest of the above goes into detail of how to make your items blue.