Sign in to follow this  
Kender

Kender's Armor Crafting

I'm at home, trying to think what I need next to finish these:

I'm thinking a vice for the shaping, another hammer to planish, a punch for holes, and then mooching out of Dave's scraps for straps :(

2010-03-25%2017.19.02.jpg

How'd you cut them?

You can have all the leather you want as long as I get the spaulders. :(

When spring comes, I'll be working on my next pieces.

And by "spring", I mean warmer weather that ain't so frickin' wet!

Wow I think Hanzo would cry tears of joy to see someone else who is making metal armor!

Looking good!

eh, I'm not using spring stainless, so he'd probably call me a little bitch :(

Well first off your not a littel bitch as those are some pretty damn good spaulders for a first attempt dude! Secondly I only use spring steel on stuff I need to cheat and keep low weight (my arm harness and greaves mainly) the rest is just good old mild steel because its easy to work and easy to fix.

Did you purchas the book "Techniques of Medieval armour reproduction"? Your pattern looks like the one pulled right out of the book. If you dont have it I recommend buying it, its not only a great read but its pretty much as close as it comes to the bible for armouring.

For a first time planishing hammer I went ot HF and got some auto body hammers and just polished the face of them. For a planishing stake a used a railroad spike I polished the shit out of and had clamped in a vice, I still use it from time to time but now mostly either do a shit tone of boughing or use a 2" ball bearing I got from mcmastercarr and welded to a 12" bolt I bought from Ace hardware.

Like I said though these are coming along great man! If your ever in need of assisstance or tips or anything feel free to ask, I'm currently teaching a close friend of mine the craft and he's halfway to a good looking transitional suit from 1350!

Happy times hitting metal with hammers dude!

Hanzo, if you're coming out to SIMCON this weekend, we're getting together a little earlier and smashing steel behind my house. Event starts at noon. We'll hopefully be banging metal about 9:00ish.

I haven't been able to find a copy of TOMAR in person, and I haven't ordered one online yet, so the pattern is from here:

http://www.arador.com/construction/spaulders4.html which is probably from there, really.

I've got some RR spikes I'm going to grind down to planish on, because I don't really have access to a welder, or the skills required to use one, else I'd have done what you did.

For a planishing hammer (My next purchase, after a bench vise) I'm thinking of going to autozone, because I hear that their autobody hammers are shit-hot.

Here's hoping my next shoulder comes out identical :P

and Thanks!

because I don't really have access to a welder,

My dad will weld anything you need welded.

I have an anvil, lots of hammers, a few cheap stakes, a couple stumps (currently unused), a jig-saw, a bench grinder, an angle grinder, a drill press, a band saw (that I want to sell, $200 if any is interested), and a crazy imagination.

Now that we're getting thoroughly offtopic,

I've got a drill, an angle grinder, a dishing stump, a stump that i'm gonna attach an anvil to, a HF shear, a single dishing hammer, and a single hand file.

lols :)

Before, After, and the result of spending all one's time on the forums!

2010-03-30%2018.51.27.jpg
From Shop

I need to get a higher grit flap disk, or another method of sanding.

Harbor Freight has the $60 belt/disk sander...

I have to swap it out so much, i'll just get another attachment for my angle grinder.

Well, I snagged a vise today... Before, and two afters!

2010-04-05%2016.10.16.jpg

2010-04-05%2016.27.17.jpg

2010-04-05%2016.41.15.jpg

Then I fixed my greaves. I had a krylon clear-coat on there, which was a big friggin mistake. I'm gonna try this Turtle wax, because that's what the cool kids are doing. Before AND after!

2010-04-05%2016.52.08.jpg

2010-04-05%2017.00.40.jpg

I couldn't resist.

2010-04-05%2019.23.28.jpg
From Shop

2010-04-05%2019.36.28.jpg
From Shop

OMG THIS IS A BAD IDEA, though it worked for my corners.

2010-04-05%2019.43.49.jpg
From Shop

2010-04-05%2019.49.01.jpg
From Shop

However, an Angle grinder is not the proper tool for what I need next. I wonder if I could use sandpaper and do this craziness by hand:

2010-04-05%2019.54.25.jpg
From Shop

Angle grinder works, I just needed to grab a different flap disc and put more love into it.

2010-04-06%2018.06.14.jpg

This is what I have to deal with :lol:

2010-04-06%2018.29.59.jpg

This is after some vigorous sanding with a sanding sponge.

I should really change over to real sandpaper...

2010-04-06%2019.23.18.jpg

Scotch-brite pads for the angle grinder, for the win...

can't find.

Two things strike me right off the bat with these.

First off your lames need to be a hair smaller as you cut out each lower one to account for the thickness of the plates above it. Right now the shape is kind of wonky because all the lames are the same length and therefore bunching up and expanding at the bottom.

Secondly, yes and angle grinder clamped to a bench vice is kinda dangerous but not anymore dangerous than heating steel right next to a 3' pile of sawdust (gotta raise those helmets ya know). As far as how I polish my armour, I just use an orbital sander with 200-600 grit discs, or for the finer stuff I use wet sandpaper of the same grits and just go by hand. To finish it up my bench grinder has a buffing wheel attached, smear some roug on it and your good to go.

For a first attempt these look great though!

Also if you need to throw them in a vise to get the shape you want your doing something wrong. Either dish them a bit deeper or dish the outer edge a bit more to curl it in.