Kulon

Banish and Dispell

This is probably an incredibly stupid question but I figured I should ask anyway.

If you're "Banished", can you cast Dispell on yourself?

Uhh, no. You can't take any actions. It's just like being Dissipated, except you can't end it.

Uhh, no. You can't take any actions. It's just like being Dissipated, except you can't end it.

that.

Also, if you banish yourself, you still can't end it early.

Nothing (that players can do) will end a banish early.

note that ALL SPELLS END AT CONVERGENCE EXCEPT SPELLSTORE.

What happened to "All spells last their full duration, period." ?

note that ALL SPELLS END AT CONVERGENCE EXCEPT SPELLSTORE.

What happened to "All spells last their full duration, period." ?

The short answer is that I got overruled.

The longer answer is that I don't like it either, and I got overruled.

Thematically, it makes sense that when the ley lines in the land pulse every six hours, all magic gets a little hiccup. If 10 minute spells didn't end at convergence, then every convergence would be preceeded by a Sanctuary spell.

The spirit of my original statement was related to "conflicting compulsions" and killing blows and such.

If you're bleeding out, and I banish you, you're pretty much hosed.

On the upside, if you're KB'd, but you've got an anti-magic shield up, it'll eat the first reap spirit.

Along these lines, someone who casts Banish and has it REFLECTED back at them then becomes Banished themselves. My reasoning says that they (the original caster) still can't end the spell voluntarily, even though they cast it, because it's still a forced dissipate. Am I right?

But does the reflector know where you are going to turn up or do only you?

The 'reflector' does not know where the person is. As the spell is written, only the caster knows where the target of the banish spell is. Since the target is also the caster, in this case, no one knows where the caster went except for the caster.

But does the reflector know where you are going to turn up or do only you?

Consider how Dominate works. The reflector is the one who issues the orders. We have a precedent. The reflector should know where to stand when the beat-down commences.

I only speak out of having asked this question before. Perhaps we should then consider that a reflect call simply swaps the roles of target and caster.

This would work in sync with the precedent of Dominate and apply to all existing and future spells. In which case, I'll revoke the statement my previous post.

This seems like the proper place for this question. The spell description says that Dispell can remove Banishment (unless I misread). How does that work if the Banished target is effectively 'Dissipated'? As in, can you target the Banished target with a Dispel in the first place? How does your character know where to aim the spell (how do you know where to throw the tag-bag)?

I feel like there's at least one feast item that lets you see through banish/dissipate, and also that some uber monsters can do it at will. It's certainly not commonplace, but I think it was probably written it to allow for expansion & GM creativity.

Ah, so it would be incorrect to assume then that just because Dispell is the cure for Banishment that the average character could do that, seeing as they lack the means to apply it. Just like having to cast Diagnosis (or similar) to reveal a Memory Loss before being able to Dispel that effect....

Good to know. I cant cast any of those spells but just in case I get hit with them.

Kender should be the final say on this, but I believe we left that in there so you could dispel a "Banish" on yourself.

This would however, require a no-incant dispel, I believe.

I don't remember ever saying that there was a way to end a banishment early...

I don't remember ever saying that there was a way to end a banishment early...

Do you then mean that Dispell does not remove Bansihment even in an instance where the caster can 'see' where the Banished target is? Banishment can not be Dispelled period? And not just because of the issue with finding a 'Dissipated' target but because of the nature of the Banishment spell?

I don't believe there are any feb feast items that let the user ignore dissipate/banish.

Some Monsters can see through them, and they're specifically permitted to cast spells on those persons.

Can we drop this now?

Actually I'm talking about one player casting Dispell on another player who is Banished. Do those spells interact, and if so how?

Actually, I'm talking about:

THERE IS NO INTERACTION

THERE IS NOTHING A PLAYER CAN DO TO A PLAYER WHO IS BANISHED

PLEASE STOP THIS LINE OF INQUIRY

loud noises!

I'm sorry. I'm hiding my inadequacies as a rules guy behind anger.

Your questions were fine, I should've answered them more clearly to start.

No problem.

This was the source of my confusion. 4.0 Spell List says:

Banish

Type: Nature

Level: 4

Duration: 10 minutes

Range: Tag-bag

Dispel: Yes (requires the ability to see through dissipate!)

Perhaps that should read "Dispel: No" ?

Or is that already on the list of errata?

It's going on the list of errata, which i am also about six months late on.

What else can I screw up today? Where's Kevin's character sheet?