Kulon

Banish and Dispell

Hey, sorry to revive this one, but...

Justin and I were just arguing about rules stuffs, and this came up. If you can't drop a banish you cast, then the rules document is wrong:

5. Spells last their full duration, unless dispelled.

1. Death does not end a caster's spells.

2. A character may dispel spells they have cast.

Is the problem in Banish, or in the rules blanket statement?

Is the problem in Banish, or in the rules blanket statement?

I'd say neither. One is a long standing rule at Novitas, the other a new spell that was thrown in. Mistakes happen.

Easy fix:

2. A character may dispel spells they have cast, unless otherwise noted in the spell description.

Also, just to toss my 2 cents in, since players can't see through Dissipate, why does the "Dispel?:" line on Banish need to be changed? I personally find it thematic that higher end Elemental or Magic NPCs could Dispel a Banish, either their own or one cast by someone else.

Perhaps we should make it, instead of "A character can dispel spells they cast", "A character can dispel spells they cast by touching the target of the spell"

Then we just make sure dissipate reads such that someone affected by it can drop it at will.

Then we just make sure dissipate reads such that someone affected by it can drop it at will.

The discription of Dissipate says the Caster can drop it at will, basically. Perhaps change "Caster" to "Affected Character" as it is a touch range spell and be done with it? While it hasn't come up yet, requiring the touching of the target of the "caster dispel" makes sense and heads off any silliness that might occur, such as yelling across the field to dispel, say, a magic lock (or a Aegis buff if you are feeling like an ass).

Also, on another note:

When casting the spell, the character is required to touch the element (in the case of water or earth, in the case of air and fire, holding out one’s hand towards the element is sufficient) with one hand and hold a blue flag over the head with the other hand.

When was the last time anyone did that?

I usually touch the ground with my feet, and in the absence of that, you can touch air by moving through it.

When casting curse, you're required to provide the target with a blue flag. Failure to do so, ends the spell. When's the last time anyone did that? Let's face it, the spells say a lot of things that people don't listen to. Even our rules Marshal seemed surprised when I told him that one. Which is partially why I want him to look over my easy to read spell list and tell me what to change.

Dan!

When casting curse, you're required to provide the target with a blue flag. Failure to do so, ends the spell. When's the last time anyone did that? Let's face it, the spells say a lot of things that people don't listen to. Even our rules Marshal seemed surprised when I told him that one. Which is partially why I want him to look over my easy to read spell list and tell me what to change.

Dan!

Warned to 10%

Harassment.

Warned to 10%

Harassment.

20% for preemptive measures. :P

edit: Wait, if you're actually bothered, I will stop.