Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Build Day at VK

There are some improvements that need to get done at Vanderkamp, as well as some repairs. The camp staff is unlikely to get to these things any time soon. I spoke with Tom Hall, and I think we should get a few of us who can use power tools up there to do them ourselves.

Items on the agenda include:

+ Installation of signposts

+ Construction and installation of a town bulletin board outside the Inn

+ Construction of steps for the Inn and Cabin 3 (HoCB)

+ Reinforcing of porches on several cabins

And any other little projects we find that we can do. I can get all the rough cut lumber we want for cheap (my dad's got a sawmill). I need people with trucks to haul lumber and people with tools and know-how to help. I'm looking for 3-6 other people, not 30, but the more the merrier I guess.

There's XP to be had here as well.

I'm thinking the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving, unless other people have a preference.

Not sure I'll be available, but if so, can you use stupid help? Carrying, fetching, bagging trash, etc?

how is the ramp at the covered bridge doing? still a safety hazzard?

That's on the list as well.

Not sure I'll be available, but if so, can you use stupid help? Carrying, fetching, bagging trash, etc?

As long as it's help and not people standing around watching other people work.

The hole at the bridge is worse than ever. The remaining planks are unstable and a hazard.

I might be able to make it if i can convince Mike to give me a ride or something and if my parents don't already have plans for me that weekend. What time would you need people there and how long do you think it would take to get everything done?

i have access to tools and would love to help out in any way i can.

It gets dark at 5 PM now, so we'd need to be up there by 9 AM or so.

I think a big improvement would to create a small access trail that goes BEHIND the Legion and NSGG cabins and then have it link with the road leading out of town that goes in front of those cabins. This is so we can deposit more NPCs out into the back trails without sounding like a tank is rolling through the underbrush back there.

Of course we'd probably have to clear this with the camp because we'd be adding a trail not on the map.

I think a big improvement would to create a small access trail that goes BEHIND the Legion and NSGG cabins and then have it link with the road leading out of town that goes in front of those cabins. This is so we can deposit more NPCs out into the back trails without sounding like a tank is rolling through the underbrush back there.

Of course we'd probably have to clear this with the camp because we'd be adding a trail not on the map.

This is not what we're doing on this build day. Please stay on topic.

I know how to use power tools. Spent lots of time around them in High school.

Schedule permitting I'll try and be there. I might be going home for Thanksgiving.

Im not bad with my hands and Jesse knows a friend with power tools so Him and I would like to come if yous want us. Plus I almost fell threw that loose board on the HoCB porch so id like to see things like that fixed.

This is not what we're doing on this build day. Please stay on topic.

It's just a suggestion, and a good one. I think you should take the advice of your players. No, perhaps this upcoming "fix-it" session is not the time to make a path, but at least be smart and say "Good idea, we'll put it on the list for another day".

I have a truck, tools and know how. I am probably free that weekend, so I am in as of right now.

TOOLS:

Miter saw

Jig saw

table saw

circular saw

Hand saw

Drills

level, squares, speed squares

Hammers and the like

I have mostly what we will need and can transport it there.

It's just a suggestion, and a good one. I think you should take the advice of your players. No, perhaps this upcoming "fix-it" session is not the time to make a path, but at least be smart and say "Good idea, we'll put it on the list for another day".

This suggestion was brought up last season. I took it to Tom, and Vanderkamp does not want us making any new trails. They are aware that we would like this, and may get to it at a future date.

Part of running a forum is keeping people on-topic, otherwise relevant stuff gets buried under heaps of "me too!" garbage. I'm sorry if moderation bothers you, but it's a necessary part of using the forum as a tool.

I am also sorry that you do not particularly like me. I'm pretty much all business on the fourms. I don't mince words and I don't water things down. I say what I need to say with the minimum amount of verbiage. This occasionally rubs someone the wrong way, and for this I'm sorry, but I'm not going to change now. Part of us opening the fourms up to more interaction and input from the players (like the new section on mechanics, and the "Wouldn't it be cool if..." forum) is that you will need to have thicker skins if someone does not agree with your suggestion or your ideas get shot down.

Ill go ive built porches, done roofing, siding. I should be able to help with this I have a truck and the usual tools drills, circular saws, jigsaws, hammers of course lol and other odd end tools,

This suggestion was brought up last season. I took it to Tom, and Vanderkamp does not want us making any new trails. They are aware that we would like this, and may get to it at a future date.

[:P]

Ah, now it makes sense. I can understand them not wanting any new trails, especially ones they don't know about. For all they know we could make so many paths there wouldn't be any forest left!!

I would also like to help. I have building exp. if someone if Oswego is going, i could use a ride unless i can get my dad into helping as well.

Hey, this is Mike. I can most likely make it over there to help out. I used to work on a construction crew framing houses so I have some know how. I will also be bringing the small green pick-up truck that I had to help move things to and from the prop shed the last two events. Also I might be able to get my hands on some tools, let me know what you may need. This is a slim chance however since they are my grandparents tools. Like Steph (or Kia) stated above I will bring her with me as well. Cant wait to see everyone.

Dave their is a path behind the NSBG cabin but their are some trees and stuff that fell down over the years. You can tell that it is a path because there are stones on the sides of it. So may be before the first shift in Dec. we could cut up the trees that fell and clear some of the brush.

Hey, has anyone decided which day exactly we are doing this?

Friday the 23rd. This Friday.

Right now the people I'm counting on are Dana and Wayde. Dana because he'll get shit done and Wayde because I need him with the truck to pick up the lumber in Rome and haul it to VK. If either of you guys can't come this Friday, let me know and we'll move it to Saturday or Sunday. I'm willing to work around you guys as I'm flexible.