Sign in to follow this  
ubergeek2012

Having Goals for Your Character

This is reposted (with permission) to show off what I thought was an excellent post from one of the players. I've also bolded what I think is the most important part. If I had something like this from every player, I'd be a happy man. Seriously, this makes the job of a GM much easier. It also makes it far more likely that plots the player will like will ind their way to him.

Here are my characters current goals an how he plans on achieving them:

Main Goals:

Discover how the mages of old wielded such great power,

Learn to wield such power, take on an apprentice to teach it to,

Begin to Rebuild Nalbendel if time allows.

Steps to achieving goals:

Seek out ancestors of mages from Nalbendel.

Find other scholars and researchers with a similar purpose.

Learn Piscean and become an emissary with them.

Uncover ancient texts and artifacts, or people who have them already.

Locate and speak to beings that can channel more power than me.

Continue to learn ancient languages that might help,

Contact a medium that can speak with the dead and spirits who may help.

Contact a druid whom speaks with trees, who may help.

Keep writing my life's work and experimenting with channeling more magic.

I was pretty surprised at the progress I've already made with these. I also figure Pinedale will change him, not being used to "adventuring" all the time, which is a really weird lifestyle, or at least it will be for him, and I'll come up with some secondary goals along the way. If there is one thing I've learned in this game, its to have goals and pursue them, otherwise the game can be hit and miss and totally reliant on what random plots you may or may not get.

The bold section is 100% correct. The players who consistently have a great time, every event, are those that have a good concept of their goals and directions for their character - and then work towards them.

The players who get bored and have a lousy time are invariably the ones that are playing themselves in funny clothes, sitting around waiting to be entertained.

The game is a sandbox. It is what you make of it. Some of the best events I ever had were with the HoCB when we had NO interactions with the GMs. There was a time when they just didn't seem to understand how to deal with us, and we got left largely alone for almost a year - and we had a bangin' time every event.

If this was a game where the PCs paid $150 to PC the whole weekend, I could see people getting irritated if they weren't entertained - but KoN is NOT that game, and will never be. For $20 we provide you with a world to go play in, and it's up to YOU to have fun in it.

I agree entirely. This is definitely something I'm going to be working towards this year. It took me over a year to realize it. I'm not saying I ever had a 'bad game', but I need to learn to not expect a spoon-feeding from plot in order to make my weekend exciting. It's all about putting in the effort and making shit happen as a PC.

There are weekends when the HoCB has so much shit planned to do they literally don't have time for GM plots...

There are weekends when the HoCB has so much shit planned to do they literally don't have time for GM plots...

I remember those games. Those were always a blast. There's likely to be more of those in the near future. Consider yourselves warned... ;)

-Brian

I remember those games. Those were always a blast. There's likely to be more of those in the near future. Consider yourselves warned... ;)

-Brian

I am particularly looking forward to "The Argument".

While I agree with everything here I think it's worth mentioning at least for my own sake that I never felt like it would be ok to post something like this to the gm's. It almost feels like "Hey look at my special snowflake's needs" and I am happy to hear there is a proper way to go about this.

Well, you just don't write it as a laundry list of demands and it's fine. These work best if they're things you can pursue regardless of GM involvement.

Right, there's no guarantee that you'll get what you're looking for but it helps when the GMs are looking for something to guide their plot writing.

This is really no different than writing a character history, after the character has already been in play. This is something that could easily go into a blog. It never hurts for the GMs to know what your goals and motivations are, especially your motivations. There's been more than 1 time that I've been writing plot and couldn't figure out a way to draw a group into it.

This is also a good reason to use your group's private forums here because the GMs occasionally go trolling through them to get ideas, if you're actually willing to talk about goals and motivations there as well.

Important note here, note that this player includes ways to get other people involved in their plot. This isn't "all about me" plot. GMs, Marshals, Plot & Continuity, we love that stuff. The more you can include other people in your plot goals, the more GMs are likely to want to pick it up and use it. LARPing is a group activity. We want to entertain a bunch of people at the same time. Plot that only involves 1 person tends to be a waste of our time and resources.

You might also be thinking, "I'm not creative like this", then my recommendation is to get into a group that has at least one person who does do this, or get someone in your current group to do something like this, but make sure they're not the only thing driving that plot, otherwise, if they die, the plot dies with them.

Can we get this stickied? This thread is full of useful advice.