Sign in to follow this  
Vincent McFathom

2010 Blood Games?

Is anyone planning on going to this? It's running July 2nd-3rd. I know I was thinking of hosting another fighter practice in Mexico again this year on that weekend. Some of us could go, and be back Saturday night for a Sunday FP. I know that if we had a group larger than 4-5 fighters this year we could do some major damage. It's fun, the food's good, and you get to hit people you don't know. It's not the most "ideal" combat system for a lot of us, but once you get past that, it's okay. The 5 of us that did get involved in combat were destroying folks.

Thoughts?

2010 Blood Games

I may daytrip again as a vendor, but I have zero interest in participating.

Sorry I can't give it a better review for you. I really thought it was... not my cup of tea. Not enough "live action" in this LARP for me. This year they'll probably have "sneak" and "run away" skills...

Are there any good pictures from their 2009 gallery? I refuse to get a facebook account just for that.

Also: it'd be amusing to roll ten-deep packing only their ridiculous "shatter" skill.

I don't know if it's six hours in the car worth of amusing...

HAHA no reason to have anything but shatters. Six guys with a couple shatters each means instant win without contest.

No skill needed, just marks on a character sheet. Might as well roll dice...

It's not just that I didn't have fun. I don't have fun at plenty of things. It's that I cannot fathom how ANYONE that plays KoN can enjoy a game in that style...

I got over the game "mechanics" pretty fast. I just had a blast hanging out with folks from other games, and chatting about this and that with differences between our games. Sure, we all think that having a parry or block "skill" is gay, but that's why that's not our game. Just play the game and hit people.

It's not just that I didn't have fun. I don't have fun at plenty of things. It's that I cannot fathom how ANYONE that plays KoN can enjoy a game in that style...

Because we didn't go into it with "This is gonna suck" stuck in our heads.

Blood Games to me is like a cheesy movie, only in LARP form. Watch it once a year, have some fun with it, then put it away until next year.

I hate to sound like the echo in the room, but.

Blood games is the perfect evidence that KoN is awesome, in case anyone has doubts, or thinks "I could totally do this better" or "There's a better LARP just around the corner"

I hate to sound like the echo in the room, but.

Blood games is the perfect evidence that KoN is awesome, in case anyone has doubts, or thinks "I could totally do this better" or "There's a better LARP just around the corner"

We're not saying it's our cup of tea all the time.

What we are saying is that once a year it is pretty fun meeting other LARPers, talking to them about their games, and doing a little showing off. It's not like we're all saying "KoN SUX! It lacks skillz! We want PARRY!" or anything.

Plus it is a little refreshing to see how others do it and remind ourselves of exactly why KoN is awesome.

It was satisfying to rofl-stomp futuristic time travelers with machine guns as "Dren".

I'm game for going this year if I'm not scheduled to travel for work (and pending financial situation). I still have the 'Remedy Maim' necklace that I won last year for pickpocketing skillz. Maybe if we're lucky it wont be 99 degrees out this time.

That was the only real downside to it. I poured, then the blazing sun came to play... over and over again.

FYI: NEVER wear chain without a shirt on. It hurts.

4 people with shatter and one healer would break this game.

Damn money and time.. Hopefully I can go as undead dolin next year.

As i'm not moving to NC this summer. I will probably be going this year.

When it comes to min-maxing, dont scoff the 'Disarm' skill. It's far cheaper than Shatter and still forces the opponent to go weaponless for long enough to pwn them. Also, Shatter and Disarm fail on creatures with claws.

It's also really useful to be able to take at least one solid max-damage hit. It makes all the difference when you're in a tunnel crawl and something creeps up on you or you get cornered up against a spearman.

My favorite fight of the entire weekend was the "Leviathan".

The plot hook lady was like "Are you guys SURE you'll be ok? Groups three times the size of your party have gone in and failed.

We ended up actually surviving endless respawns of long-weapon claws dealing Maim on hit. Oh, and I did a BARREL ROLL successfully into the heart of the leviathan. Epic win.

there was no greater feeling for me when we walked away from that fight and ran into the npc's who did it and they came up to us OOC and said we gave them such a run for thier money and that they were so impressed with the fact that we rolled into that 8 strong and lasted when so many other groups rolled into it 2 to 3 times our size and got pwned.

I dunno. I loved during the walk out there the 4 of us Novitas people are all "We got this". The 4 people from CRO where obviously anxious about our survival chances.

The fact we walked out of there made it all the sweeter. I honestly attribute it to Novitas' playing style. While it's not lightest touch it is mean, diabolical when put next to most of the others, which makes us players fight better to keep on living.