hivemind

The Powers That Be...

Important People List

It's come to my attention that many people have no idea who is actually in charge of Kingdoms of Novitas. Here's a list of who does what:

MVGC Officers:

Craig Korycinski (kabal) - Chairman of the Board of Directors and Maker of Shiny Coins

David Haldenwang (hivemind) - Vice Chairman of the Board and Forums Administrator

James Roth (Wishfulcynic) - Board of Directors and Lead Cripple

Kevin Buckley (Fat Kid) - Board of Directors and KoN Web Developer

Diana Haldenwang (Huntress) - Bookkeeper and Mistress of the Kitchens

Kingdoms of Novitas Staff

The Cadre

David Haldenwang (hivemind) (Ivan Freelander) - First Marshal, Operations Marshal, Plot & Continuity Marshal pro tem

Dan Meershaert (Kender) (Atticus) - Second Marshal, Rules & Balancing Marshal

Zach Werheim (Octavius) - Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal

Kyle Egert - Props & Atmosphere Marshal

Justin C (thunderstave) (Sidhan) - Plot Marshal

Ryan Staring - Logistics Marshal

+++++++++++++++++++++

As of the Staff Retreat of March 2008, it works like this:

i. Marshals lead Working Groups, ie. Logistics Marshal, Plot Marshal, Combat & Safety Marshal, etc. Marshals are also expected to occasionally (as needs require) run a shift. The count of Marshals is limited to the number of Working Groups that need to be headed. There are no floating Marshals.

i.a. The collection of Marshals together is referred to as the (Marshal) Cadre.

i.b. There is no requirement that a Marshal be elevated from the ranks of the staff, however, in most cases it is preferable. Vacant Marshal positions may be filled with any player who has regularly attended Kingdoms of Novitas (misses no more than one or two events per year) for two consecutive years, by a consensus of the Cadre.

i.c. Any Marshal may be removed at any time by a 2/3 vote of the Cadre.

i.d. Marshals should designate a Second for their Working Group. The Second is an apprentice Marshal, the group's second-in-command, and considered the next in line for the Marshal position in that group. Marshals may designate or remove their Second at will.

i.d.i. Seconds are not Marshals, and do not vote as such.

ii. Marshal assignments will be reviewed each December at the staff retreat (which will become annual). Marshals who wish to may step down then. Marshals who step down or are removed earlier will be replaced by the First Marshal, preferably from the ranks of the staff of that Working Group. Marshals who step down voluntarily must decide if they want to remain on as a member of that Working Group, or retire completely from the KoN Staff. Marshals who are removed are also removed from the KoN Staff.

iii. Two Marshals shall further and additionally be designated First Marshal and Second Marshal. Preference for these positions goes first to members of Board of Directors of the Mohawk Valley Gaming Club, Inc., the parent organization of Kingdoms of Novitas, and second to dues-paying members of the MVGC, Inc. If no MVGC board members or dues-paying members are willing and available to fill these positions, the First and Second Marshal positions may be filled with any other Marshal who has regularly attended Kingdoms of Novitas (misses no more than one or two events per year) for three consecutive years. The First Marshal (and in his absence, the Second Marshal) is responsible for proposing meeting times, setting deadlines, defining areas of responsibility, calling for votes, counting votes, acting as the liaison to the MVGC, Inc. and all KoN vendors, monitoring the financial transactions of Kingdoms of Novitas, and other administrative-type functions, as needed, and should consider the advice and counsel of the Cadre when appropriate in fulfilling such duties.

iii.a. The positions of First and Second Marshal, if vacated, shall be filled by majority vote of the Cadre from their own ranks. All such elections must be approved in writing by the Board of Directors of the MVGC, Inc. The Cadre shall provide to the Board of Directors of the MVGC, Inc. their intention to hold such an election at least eight weeks in advance of such an election.

iv. Current Game Masters who do not wish to become Marshals will become Shift Game Masters. Shift GMs may serve on Working Groups as well. Shift GMs are expected to work as a GM at least one shift each event. Shift GMs may retire at any time; however some advance notice via the private staff forums is appreciated. New Shift GMs may be elected at any time by a majority vote of the Cadre, and removed in the same manner if necessary. The Cadre is free to impose other requirements on players wishing to become Shift GMs as they see fit. There is no upper limit on the number of Shift GMs. This section no longer relevant, as Game Masters are now drawn from the staff in the Plot & Continuity Working Group.

iv.a. The Marshals, and their Seconds are together collectively referred to as the KoN Staff.

v. Any staff member who is absent from two consecutive events without giving notice to the rest of the staff via the private staff forums is considered to have stepped down, and will be replaced by the appropriate mechanism, as detailed above.

vi. Marshals will recruit their working group members as they see fit from the player base and Shift GMs. The Marshal of a working group is the ultimate authority of that group, empowered to add or remove members at will, set agendas and meeting times, make decisions (whether by vote or pronouncement), and generally act as manager of that working group.

vi.a. Members of a working group are not considered to be KoN Staff, unless they qualify for that title by virtue of being a Marshal or Second.

vi.b. At the Marshals sole discretion, each and any contributing member of a working group may be awarded up to two bonus Experience Points per month. More may be awarded upon approval by the Cadre.

vii. Marshals are responsible to provide to the Cadre a short, concise written report on the activities of their working group, by the last Friday of any month in which there is a Kingdoms of Novitas event at which a site fee was required, for review and approval by the Cadre. This report should be submitted via the private staff forums. The decisions of a working group should not be considered valid until ratified in such a manner. Submission of this report will be worth five Experience Points.

vii.a. The Cadre will make every effort to review and ratify the written reports from the working groups within five days of receipt.

Other bits and pieces:

The individual Marshals and their working groups are responsible to detail what they think and how they think they want things to happen, preferably in some sort of organizational mission or focus document. This should be the first order of business of each group. For example, the Operations working group might decide that they want to approve any physical changes or improvements made to the game area (permanently adding a table, for example). They would add this to their organizational document, which would be submitted to the Cadre for approval, and then effectively become KoN Law.

If there is overlap between the desired or perceived responsibilities of two working groups, then they should quickly and efficiently work that out themselves between the two Marshals. Failure to do so will result in a decision being made for them by the First or Second Marshal.

Marshals should feel free to award XP to their group members who are making a valuable and regular contribution. They should also feel free to remove members who are not, and replace them with someone who will.

Being a Marshal is a lot of responsibility, and the rest of the Cadre is going to hold you to it. If you consistently fail to accomplish your responsibilities, you will be removed from the Cadre.

Delegate, but follow up on your people. If they don't get something done, its not their fault its yours. YOU are ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING that is the responsibility of your group.

We will reorganize the forums in such a way that the individual Marshals and their groups have a private forum to meet in. Some Marshals will also get various other moderator privileges in the forums (like the Plot Marshal has to moderate character backgrounds and PELs). Feel free to delegate those jobs, but let Ops know so that we can adjust permissions accordingly.

#1 and #2 will still be able to see every forum. The root admins cant NOT see every forum, and so its only fair that #2 does also.

Working Groups:

Operations

Income and Expenses, scheduling (games and shifts), website and forum administration and updates, cabin upkeep, grounds repairs, improvements, build days, setup and cleanup, in-game Inn operations, medics/first aid, identify hazards and mark them out-of-bounds

Logistics

Paperwork, waivers & releases, shift balance, sleeping assignments

Plot & Continuity

Metaplot, management and training of Shift Game Masters, shift plots/modules, continuity, PELs, character backgrounds, world background, Lore requests, RP skills adjudication

Marketing & Player Outreach

Advertising, KoN Evangelism and recruiting on other forums and sites, T-shirts, conventions, generally the suggestion box for players

Props & Atmosphere

Checking PC garb and encampments, prop maintenance, prop shed organization, monster and NPC costuming, NPC weapons, racial makeup

Rules & Balancing

Identify broken rules and mechanics, find fixes, preventative min-maxing, playtesting, new monsters, magic items beyond player made, economy, errata, weapons and armor checking, armor valuation, tracking of problem players

Last Edit: 12/19/16

I'd like to thank Steve Marsh for his work as Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal. He's done a great job getting the group up and running. Sadly, it's starting to feel like too much work to Steve, as he's currently busy getting his photography studio up and running. Steve will be remaining a member of the KoN Staff as a Shift GM. Thanks for your service, Steve.

I'd like to congratulate Julie Bednar on her elevation to Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal. Julie brings a lot of good qualities and motivation to the job, and she has the full confidence and support of the Cadre. Welcome, Julie.

I just recently became aware of the distinct difference between GMs, Marshals, and Working Group members, but I cant seem to find any information on becoming a member of a Working Group. Is there an application process for it, or are people just invited in? Whether or not I am accepted to become a GM assistant, I'm still very interested in joining at least the "Plot & Continuity" Working Group at some point. I apologize if this information is posted somewhere in the forums or written in the rulebook already.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the thread and saw this: "vi. Marshals will recruit their working group members as they see fit from the player base and Shift GMs. The Marshal of a working group is the ultimate authority of that group, empowered to add or remove members at will, set agendas and meeting times, make decisions (whether by vote or pronouncement), and generally act as manager of that working group." Does this mean I should just PM the head of a Working Group I am interested in and state my case?

... Does this mean I should just PM the head of a Working Group I am interested in and state my case?

Yep. Or talk to them in person.

Effective immediately:

Julie steps down as M&PO Marshal. Thanks for all your work!

Zach takes over as M&PO Marshal. He's appointing Chris Tesorio as his second.

Props & Atmosphere is a big job, and it's absolutely vital to have someone from Props at setup and cleanup. Because of that, MK would like to appoint a second Second, as it were. She's retaining Ann, and would also like Jamie Finley, and that works for me just fine.

Zach remains as OPs second as well, however month-to-month management of the Inn is shifting to Xtina.

Jenica is moving to Rules to try and make Dan productive. With her attendance about to become less-than-reliable, this is an excellent way to retain her organizational skills on staff while giving her a position that's not vitally important, attendance-wise, at weekend events.

Kerrie is moving into Logistics as Second there.

Effective immediately, Katie O'Connor has resigned as Logistics Marshal. Kerrie Starks, the current second, is taking over as Logistics Marshal. Jenica will return as Logistics Second until 2014. Kevin O'Connor has resigned as a Game Master; his shifts will be covered by other GMs for now.

I'd like to thank Kevin and Katie O'Connor for their contributions and work at Novitas over the last few years.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.