Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Changes at Vanderkamp

I'm not big on drama and secrets, as most of you know, so I'm putting this here, now, publicly so that we're all on the same page - no rumors, no confusion. Please don't panic, this isn't yet a crisis and we are working on a contingency plan.

Tom told me some disturbing news today when I paid our bill. He's been laid off at Vanderkamp as a cost-cutting measure. He should be there for our October event, but not thereafter. They are attempting to hire two part-time directors to take his place. He gives this a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, and I agree with his assessment. In the meantime, there is a college intern at Vanderkamp through December who will be acting as interim director. Fortunately, I've met him twice now, and he's a nice kid who thinks what we do is great fun, so there won't be any issues probably through November's event.

However, Tom says that there is a very real chance the board of directors will elect to close the campsite between Thanksgiving and Easter. This means we will not be able to use Vanderkamp's facilities for our December event, the staff retreat, the Feb Feast, or the April event. Tom has also highly recommended to me that we no longer pay deposits nor pay for any facilities up-front. This indicates to me that they are in absolutely terrible financial shape. Vanderkamp's recent sell-off of almost a thousand acres of their property makes more sense to me now, in light of this information.

I do not know what this bodes for our future, but I do know that if our events at Vanderkamp will be limited to May, June, September, October and November from now on, that it's time to look for another site. Right now, Kamp Kiwanis looks like our best bet. It's not far from our current site, and my wife Diana is a big wheel in Utica Kiwanis and knows the director. I have literally no other information than that though. I don't know about pricing, the precise facilities they have or if they'll require us to carry our own insurance.

I spoke very briefly with a few people this morning about what we'd do if we had to move sites permanently. There's a few options available to us in the event of a move, as I see it:

1. Total game reset. New world, new mythology, new characters. We can branch out into a post-apoc zombie LARP, or collaborate on a new world, or whatever wackiness we come up with. The system remains unchanged except maybe a few semantic changes. No one seemed to like this idea.

2. Character reset, remain in Novitas. We choose another town in the Free Lands and start over. Maybe we move 200 years in the future so we can all tell stories about our old characters.

3. Remain in Novitas, keep our characters, move to a different town in the Free Lands. Maybe the Al' Carn blew up Pinedale with a huge Nox-bomb or something, and we all escaped and moved to Waymeet.

4. Pretend we're still in Pinedale. Nothing changes and we all just nod and wink at each other.

I'm not asking for anyone to make a decision now on what they'd prefer, and I'm not really even asking for anyone's opinion right now - I'm just laying out some options so that people will have time to consider things so that they can make an informed decision if the time comes to actually make a decision.

If anyone knows of a likely site for us to play at, please let me or Dan know so that we can check it out. Obviously it needs to be in the Utica/Syracuse area. Anything East of Utica or West of Syracuse is probably too much of a trek for some of our players.

So, now you all know everything I do.

i will not panic, i will not panic....

thanks for being preemptive dave.

Thanks for the rumor control.

Glad you brought it to us like this.

We have a bunch of committed players, and obviously, creative ones. We'll figure something out. Thanks, Dave. (and my first response was that this may be the moment when we all publicly realize how wonderful it is that Diana is part of this endeavor...)

We have a bunch of committed players, and obviously, creative ones. We'll figure something out. Thanks, Dave. (and my first response was that this may be the moment when we all publicly realize how wonderful it is that Diana is part of this endeavor...)

I think most of the game realizes that every February. :D

In all serious though; while we should be looking for a plan B, for right now we should just keep calm and carry on.

200px-Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On_Poster.svg.png

Well, sounds to me like we have plenty of warning and time to find a new place. Personally, I don't see anything to really panic about.

Thank you for bringing this out into the open. I'm just sad for Tom.

It would be sad if we had to leave vanderkamp. Sucks for Tom in particular. I'm sure whatever the solution every player in our game will do what they can to help the move, if there is one, to another camp, or to demonstrate to the new powers-that-be of Vanderkamp that ours is a group they should keep there.

Updates:

Tom is leaving Vanderkamp. They do not have a replacement, rather, the board members are going to fill in as temporary directors for the immediate future. The facilities we use are not closing, and we are set for all our currently scheduled events.

That's all I know.

We are currently scheduled through 2012. All currently scheduled events should not be affected by VKs issues.

I found an awesome location too! It's a bit of a drive but I think the reduced cost for props would more than make up for the gas prices.

Check it out!

I found an awesome location too! It's a bit of a drive but I think the reduced cost for props would more than make up for the gas prices.

Check it out!

Start buying up points in body.....NOW!

If you wanted to see everyone naked Leslie, you could've just asked.... lmfao jk!!!