Sign in to follow this  
Eppe00863

Selling Prices for Crafted Items

Also, for anyone who wanted to compare merchant prices, multiply each item's craft point cost by 5 coin (ornamenting & tinkering) or 10 coin (weaponsmithing).

While consumables have relatively set-in-stone market prices, such as a potion of heal mortal wounds costs 3 coin to produce, and is sold for 9 coin; durable items vary from character to character, but a good rule of thumb is that the market will bear a 50% markup. A few examples are below.

Consumable

Scroll of Revive - cost: 5coin, market price: 20coin

Ornamenting

Shirt of Mend Armor 5xGD - cost: 100coin, market price: 150coin

Tinkering

Elven Steel goblet - cost: 20coin, market price: 30coin

Weaponsmithing

Mageblade spear - cost: 190coin, market price: 285coin

yeah if your a money grubbing human. Remember to shop around consumers

Mike may be money grubbin, but I don't think he charges those prices either. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was basing that off of what Bizby and Wei would charge for things (or at least what Mike thought they charged).

In any case, it's nice to have a quick reference. I missed this entirely when you first posted it, Dave. Super useful. :D

The whole 50% markup thing was a fond wish of Felix's. I still start bargaining at that price for weapons and Ornamenting stuff, but I'll bargain down. I usually sell consumables for something like 1 cp over cost for level 1 stuff, 1 or 2 for level 2-3 stuff, and maybe I'd sell a scroll of a 4th or 5th level spell for 8 or nine coin.

Bob mentioned the 50% markup as what was thought to be standard maybe 5 months ago for permanent items, but most of my prices don't come close to that, unless you play a moneyed character, or I just don't like you for some reason.

things sell based on usefulness, and what you can get. period. 50% markup seems to be a generally accepted average.

these prices never take into account supply and demand, something that typically drives an economy.

also, what else is there to spend your money on? food and loot, occasionally status/rep/fun.

Bob mentioned the 50% markup as what was thought to be standard maybe 5 months ago for permanent items, but most of my prices don't come close to that, unless you play a moneyed character, or I just don't like you for some reason.

This was meant to be a market baseline and what NPCs will charge, and the same goes for consumable prices. PCs are free to charge whatever they want. One of the main reasons for creating this baseline is so that NPCs have fairly standard selling prices. This is important because they create items out of thin air at the whim of a GM. If we didn't have these standards, then no PC could compete with them.

NPC merchants should have a high mark up generally because they only go in when loot needs to come out or things are shitty.

I like having the baseline to compare to, since it usually means I can undersell NPC merchants. On the other hand, while my armor and weapon prices are generally pretty low, I've taken to diversifying my tinker prices more.

Things that either everybody wants (ribbon of truth, contraption) or I think are really cool (talisman of warding) have a 50% markup, because the demand is up. Things that nobody has any interest in (generic spell level traps) only have a 20% markup, and the balance are prices that I personally subjectively defined as moderately useful or cool, at a 30% markup (disaster shroud, anvil of mend armor). The midrange prices are all things which I have never personally seen as an NPC or a PC, or are things that you have to use inside a structure.

Although I am tempted to make some of the new items, just to get them out in play, I also don't want to lug around MORE encampment, so it's kind of a stand-off at the moment.

things sell based on usefulness, and what you can get. period. 50% markup seems to be a generally accepted average.

these prices never take into account supply and demand, something that typically drives an economy.