Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Ragnarok Undead Rave Party

AJ, do they rent PAs? That's the point where we're at now - renting a PA and letting Monkey do it with a laptop.

Also, someone buy some Mardi Gras skull beads please.

Two approvals up the food chain attained. Waiting on the suit @ Corporate to give the thumbs up. If gtg, then approved for loaning of two 15" powered JBL's, and the cables to run from a laptop to speakers.

I think a pair of 15's would be fine enough for the sound to carry as long as the area is closed. The only thing I'm worried about is the bass. I'm getting with our pro audio department to see what would serve us best.

Just got word from the top, we're clear to loan it out. Now, we gotta figure out which location to pull from and transport. It's gotta be under my name, so it's my ass if something happens to it. So, we have to get me to the store we're pulling from, and obviously the transport from and to site. They'd prefer it if it can be picked up the day of, and dropped off the day after. They're fine if it's for the week, it just makes them (and me) nervous to have expensive gear hanging out in the drunk zone for a week.

There's two stores close-ish. Pittsburgh (42mi), and Youngstown, OH (33mi). We can still grab it from my home store here though if need be. It is possible, if Pat or someone drove down with minimal gear, that we could just load up and go. It would be quite the hike for someone to do that though.

We could put in the car before and after so it would be out of the drunk zone.

Got a fix on the "bass" problem. There's a 2000w powered system made by B52 that we could use. Two tops and a heafty sub. That will keep it thumping. The sub is big, so we'll have to have a truck or a van or a wagon. They're also short-throw tops, so the people who want to rave in the middle can, and the people in the back aren't getting their heads sploded.

should we have black lights? I know wayde has black light posters that are hot.

So exactly what kind of "rave" are we trying to throw here? What's the music style, specifically, for the DJ we're trying to grab?

Well, whomever makes the playlist, just make sure your bitrate isn't "MP3" quality. It's gonna sound like ass through any real sound system. I promise. Full, "lossless" quality only plz.

Ricky, you're a little late to the party at this point, and I simply don't have time to catch you up. If you'd been interested in assisting two months ago that would have been great. Three weeks before, not so much. At this point we just need someone to play *whatever* for four and a half hours. I have three guys interested in doing some laptop stuff, as opposed to turntables stuff, but none of them have any serious speakers or amps. Obviously we're not looking for someone to play top 40's or house music, we're looking for some flavor of electronica - drum and bass, dubstep, whatever. If you know someone reliable, and can line them up fast, get them in touch with me ASAP. Last resort at this point, Brett downloads some sets from famous DJs and just plays them from a laptop.

AJ, that sounds great - but one side of the barn is pretty much completely open. I'm not sure if there's doors we can close or not, and it's a concrete floor. The acoustics leave much to be desired. Even so, if that's what you got then that's what you got, and I'm grateful you have it. 2000W is pretty substantial.

We can go Wednesday afternoon and pick it all up in the van and the trailer (if needed), and return it Thursday noon-ish no problem.

Well, whomever makes the playlist, just make sure your bitrate isn't "MP3" quality. It's gonna sound like ass through any real sound system. I promise. Full, "lossless" quality only plz.

Yeah, good fucking point here. MP3 ain't gonna cut it.

I was more worried about the enclosed area if we were stuck with just the two JBL tops. I think we'll be fine at this point though. 2000w is a lot to throw around. I think it'll get the job done.

They have doors that can close, they were when Dan and I went early.

Yeah, good fucking point here. MP3 ain't gonna cut it.

If the DJ's need music, I can work some magic with obtaining "lossless" audio files. All I'd need is a setlist, even if it's something vague.

I'll start looking into the genres Dave suggested at the very least.

Dave,

I sent a message to a friend of mine who dose DJing. I said to have him talk to you on FB if he is intrested but with it being this late notice he might say no... or kill me. I gave him to you as a suggested friend. He is really good so see if he would be willing.

If Brett's in charge of the music, then I have no qualms.

Electronica is probably the broadest range of music in existence. If you're going for a rave, I wanted to make sure we knew wtf we wanted to play. If it was an emergency (like you guys were trying to play techno or trance and call it a rave) then I would have kidnapped some Rochester DJs to fix it. (As it stands, none of them want to go down to play at this thing).

I'd also recommend double-checking the equipment for playing dubstep. That genre of music has more bass demands than any other type of music. A standard rig for club music might not cut it. There was a website I saw a while back stating 2000W being minimum to feel the "womp" and started getting into all these "maths" about amps and wattage divisors. I'll ask a few friends to be sure.

It's this one. Sorry, 1200w, Martix 2000. It'll do the trick. I'll see about getting two. It all depends on whether or not the store we go to happens to have two that are out of box on the floor. Unlikely, but I've seen it happen before. The stores never stock the 2000w, Matrix 3000 system.

Can we go to both stores and get two? Also, they've moved this party outdoors. How's that affect our sound issues?

We're going to have to go bigger. In the open, the sound doesn't have anywhere to bounce from, so the "volume" will sound much quieter. 1200watts will still do it, but it'll have to get cranked a bit. Two of these would be ideal in this situation. I don't think we'll get the okay to raid two stores in one day.

Well, it's what we have. We can set up Frankenamp - I have a pair of Bose 301s and a 250 watt Adcom amp we'll have in the camp anyways for our entertainment, we can patch them in. What else can we get a hold of?

Finally, some good news: talking with 81massive about them running all the sets and bringing gear.