Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

For Sale: Barrel Shield Cores

I have a large stock (about twenty) of blue plastic barrel cores for shields. I have rectangular ones that are about 24" wide by 32" tall (give or take an inch in either direction in both dimensions). All corners have been clipped to remove the sharp point, and all edges have been lightly trimmed to remove "saw fuzz". They are clean and ready for glue and foam. The plastic is between 1/8" and 1/4" on most of them, but some go over 1/2" at the tops and bottoms, depending on how close to the end we could cut it.

The strapping is undyed vegetable tanned leather between 9oz and 14oz (whatever's handy). The buckle is a solid brass 2" Anchor brand buckle with an integral keeper. The arm strap is 2" wide. The handle is a 1" wide leather handle of stacked strips, and all rivets (except the three buckle end rivets) are piened copper rivets.

Pictures:

DSC01798.JPG

DSC01799.JPG

DSC01800.JPG

DSC01801.JPG

DSC01802.JPG

Free Options:

++ I can find you the biggest one possible form the pile if you desire.

++ I can cut them to whatever shape or size you desire.

++ I can strap for leftys or rightys, any angle.

++ I can wrap the handle in hockey tape if you like it a little stickier.

Additional Options:

++ I can dye the leather any color (add $2)

++ Substitute two piened copper rivets for buckle end rivets (add $2)

++ Add round pipe to handle (add $2)

++ Guarantee 12+ oz leather for all strapping (add $1)

++ Unstrapped (subtract $10)

++ Cut 6" hole for punch handle - not installing punch handles, just not my thing and I don't know how (add $5)

Base price on these is $30 each. An unstrapped one with a punch handle hole would be $25.

I can deliver them to any New York Dagorhir event (excluding Novi Antiqui, unless you're ordering a half-dozen of these), Rag or Badon.

I will ship them, but you're paying shipping and I don't want to imagine what that's going to cost. I imagine over $20 each. I'm not going to box them, I'm just going to tape cardboard over the handles and ship them naked, because, hey, how the hell can one of these be damaged?

These are the best shield cores in the world as far as I'm concerned. The curve is just freaking pro, they're lightweight, much stronger than 1/4" plywood or techply, and much more durable than the corrugated plastic signboard stuff.

I also have a collection of round shield cores from the barrel ends. These aren't as cool, but still make indestructible, lightweight cores for medium round shields. They're 23" diameter, give or take an inch, and have a very slight bowl shape at the edges. The plastic tends more towards 1/4" to 1/2" on these all the way around. I'll strap them the same way as the rectangular cores.

Free Options:

++ I can find you the biggest one possible form the pile if you desire.

++ I can cut them to whatever shape or size you desire.

++ I can wrap the handle in hockey tape if you like it a little stickier.

Additional Options:

++ I can dye the leather any color (add $2)

++ Substitute two piened copper rivets for buckle end rivets (add $2)

++ Add round pipe to handle (add $2)

++ Guarantee 12+ oz leather for all strapping (add $1)

++ Unstrapped (subtract $10)

++ Cut 6" hole for punch handle - not installing punch handles, just not my thing and I don't know how (add $5)

Base price on these is $15 each. An unstrapped one with a punch handle hole would be $10.

As a customer who built one of these after Dave strapped it for me, I have to put out my opinion. I love these. If you like to be mobile in a fight, but still have a strap shield to stand on a line, this is the core for you. You'll want to modify it a bit beyond the leather strapping--I've got a rest for my wrist I attached--but these are pretty much good to go after the foam. Gluing the foam down is easy but time consuming if you want it light, easy and quick if you want it heavier, but there are some great tutorials online on how to do these.

I personally like the curve a ton. Since I picked up this shield, I can't remember taking a shot on the shield side of my body (other than my leg). Curve=win.

Do you have any of these cores left that are (or could be) strapped for a lefty?

If so, and I asked you to cut it to a 24"x30" heater, could I make the shield Dag and KoN legal?

Do you have any of the round cores left? I was thinking about building and trying out a punch shield.

I know you are busy with Rag stuff. No worries, I wouldn't be getting either of these until August-ish. Gotta get my garb first. I was mostly just curious if this was an option,

or if I should seek other options.

I can do all those things, but not until after Rag.