Sign in to follow this  
Julie

Arcon, SUNY Oswego

Arcon is April 29th - May 1st this year. Preregistration is open now.

Several of the Oswego alum will be there gaming and hanging out - all types of geekery welcome.

For those of you curious about other LARPs and systems, there's going to be an Amtgard demonstration on Saturday. Amtgard goes the other direction from KON or Dag on a lot of things - I'd say it's closer to NERO, but some of the other guys could tell you more.

KON is not hosting a fighter practice at Arcon this year because the timing is bad for us. I considered trying anyway, but although we meet new people, and fighters from other systems join us for practice, we rarely get recruits among the current students.

If you decide to go and I (or another member of the staff) see you there in a KON t-shirt or garb, I'll give you a discretionary 1XP. :D

Amtgard is weird. It's an offshoot of Dagorhir, like Belegarth, but unlike Belegarth they've gone a distinctly different direction. The combat is the ultimate in tap-LARP stick-jockery. The actual mechanics of the combat are very similar to KoN, except that there's no rules about pulling your shots. All the things the Legion likes about Dagorhir - hard hit requirement, grappling, weapon weight requirements, shield kicks and bashes, arrows to the face - are absent in Amtgard. However, there's no requirement to hit hard, just to land a solid hit, and most of the weapons are insanely light - generally pool noodle on kitespar kinds of affairs - so the combat is ridiculously fast. A top-tier Amtgard player would eat anyone at KoN alive in our system. Sadly, you're not going to find top-tier Amtgard stick-jocks around here, because Amtgard's big area is Texas.

There's also two types of game in Amtgard. One is simply referred to as "ditching". It's essentially a fighter practice with limited (or no) objectives, resurrections, no missiles, no breaking of shields, no armor, no class abilities - just pure stickjockery. The other type is "battle games". Everyone in Amtgard has a persona (like any LARP) and a class, with abilities and such. They put together short one-shot modules/adventures, and go run them as their personas. Typically, the players that really like the Battle Games hate ditching, and vice versa, so there's this interesting (and self-destructive) dichotomy in Amtgard where the stick-jocks cordially despise the "flurbs" and vice-versa. "Flurb" is the (once-derogatory) Amtgard term for a person more concerned with costuming and characterization than combat.

On the other hand, Amtgard has a very cool system of Arts & Sciences, with ranks and rewards and such, which is something I'd love to see more of in Dagorhir.

Bump for reminder! Cairnhold Legion is hosting a Dag demo, and a bunch of us will be at the convention.