NarenZade

Slave Auctions

It is an extremely rare (like, earthquake in NY rare, not like bagman rare) occurrence for the GMs to let a PC have control over an NPC. It's fun for special plots for an hour or two, but beyond that it's a hassle, and it takes away NPCs that we need doing other things.

If I were you guys, I would not expect to have your "NPC SLAVE" show up every shift to happily do your bidding. I would also not expect to have a deck full of pokemon cards detailing your vast collection of other people, and the benefits they give you when you tap them.

In that case, can we stop sending in these "Slave Auctions" or slave merchants?

It feels like a hostage situation when I get offered something very expensive that my PC would normally buy, but offers nothing to my OOC enjoyment of the game. If I buy a slave, I get the RP experience of buying and owning a slave for about an hour, and for the same price I could buy a magical item or weapon. But if I refuse because of that OOC reason, it feels like metagaming.

It just doesn't feel like 50-100 coin is worth the hour of slave ownership RP. I mean, I spend the majority of my coin on RP things like gifts, dancing girls, gambling, etc...but buying a slave and saying "Okay slave, go back to my home (Logistics) and do more slave stuff." isn't fun. Though of course that's just my opinion, and other people may disagree.

I totally agree with Kevin. It does suck that we get screwed for playing our characters correctly.

I don't even buy slaves and I agree...

I don't see any harm in sending out RP plots or something similar with the Slaves... If Ivan sends his slave to his homeland to be a blacksmith and such, why not send that slave back with reports, or visits that allow Ivan to RP a bit?? I think every single game someone sends out 1 or 2 Tree Killers out JUST for Neccero and the druids, so why not take some time to send out prior slaves to have some fun. I enjoy the RP plots just as much as just slaughtering everything plots....

1 way we could do it, is have the Slave return for a plot hook.. If he survives there is a chance for him to come back later in time, if not he obviously wont. OR maybe their slave dying will open up some plots and RP for people to do. It may even create a new goal for someone..

Edit: It doesn't have to be EVERY month, but it could be occasionally.. I know Dave doesn't like to follow the random idiot into a fight, but perhaps if his Slave was attacked and goods stolen or something he might be persuaded to charge after stuff.

I don't know why I didn't see this post until now, but I think this is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while.<br><br>Slaves are like... a hundred coin... equivalent to a permanent 24CP non-weapon magic item. I'm in support of the idea that slaves could provide minor bonuses each month throughout a year-long contract. I don't see there being an issue with "a deck of slaves" to tap for abilities since you're spending a god-awful fortune on just a few. It would definitely give people a money-sink to encourage people to pour some coin back into logistics.<br><br>Not sure about all slaves making you a large stipend of money, ... but hell, I like the idea of different types of slaves providing bonuses to your character. (Remove the "bring in to roleplay for an hour" bit and keep the base stats, albeit toning down the bonuses a bit):<br><br><b>Gladiator: </b> D6 instead of D100. Perhaps make it a gamble so you could lose or gain coin. (1: death of gladiator, lose 15 coin, 2: embarrasing loss: lose 10 coin, 3: No games, no coin., 4: Meager winnings, gain 10 coin. 5: Clean victory: gain 20 coin, 6: Glorious spectacle! gain 30 coin)<br><br><b>Merchant:</b> May buy up to 3 production points worth of any one consumable (at 1 coin/level).<br><br><b>Alchemist:</b> Receive one random non-poison alchemy consumable at sign-in.<br><br><b>Crafter: </b>+2 free Craft Points in the appropriate field (weaponsmithing, tinkering, ornamenting). Not to exceed cap.<br><br><b>Dancer/Entertainer/Prostitute: </b>+10 coin per event.<br><br><b>Researcher:</b>  At end of 1-yr contract, learn any one language for free.<br><br><b>Assassin:</b> Receive one random poison/acid vial at sign-in. <br><br><b>Spy: </b>Discover one random lore request made by another player (not the answer, just the question researched)<br>

<br><br>It would make for decent gifts or PC rewards, add some roleplaying fodder, some morality/plot subject matter, and theoretically could have a character concept based around slave-trading.

If Plot/Rules want to go this route, Logistics can come up with a way to make it work at sign in.

I think the simplest thing would be for slave papers to just be numbered items with an assigned value, like jewelry. That way there's always a simple way to recover the investment.

Can I get a refund for my RP payments? I'm into like 350 coin between my last two PCs.