Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

A Reminder for Dagor-newbs

Primarch Bones (Dan) has stated that we are not having anyone fighting with us at Ragnarok who has no previous Dagorhir experience. Anyone not fighting with us (or sleeping with a fighter) is de facto not a part of the Legion, and therefore not entitled to camp in the Legion campsite.

Ragnarok is now less than two months away.

If you have not yet attended any practices or events, you need to get your butt in gear. There are only about three events left for you to attend prior to Rag:

April 23, 2011 - Show Some Luvin to Conan - Tartarus Invictus day battle - Buffalo, NY

May 21, 2011 - Iron Hills Clan Day Battle - 10300 W.Main Street, North East, PA 16428 - Event cost is $5 and will include food

May 22nd, 2011 - A Game of Thrones - The Pre-Ragnarok Battle - Ellison Park (pavilion area) w/ Cookout Afterward

That's freaking it, people!

And it's highly likely that we'll be skipping the Iron Hills Day Battle because there's a Winterfell event the next day.

Seriously, we'd like for everyone who has expressed interest in Rag to come with us, because it's a total blast, but you've got to put a little effort in beforehand. Please adjust your schedules accordingly and plan to attend at least one of the above events.

Thanks Hive.

and Yes, what he said. I only want people in our camp who:

1. have been to another dag event

2. are fighting with us, or we like

3. are willing to kick in for camp chores.

If you're none of those, then you're still welcome to come to Rag, but you're not camping with us.

XOXO

-Dan

I've shaken a few more trees, and there's a few other options available:

Lostwithiel: Mayfaire Upon the Green Demo, May 14 and 15, 10 AM to 5 PM both days, Town Square, Holland Patent, NY. Casual event/demo/fighter practice, but bring your garb A-Game. I'll be there at least one day, maybe both - let me know if you're coming and when.

Gates of Fire is in two weeks. It's the "springtime Badon Hill", a big weekend event at the same site as Badon in Western Pennsylvania. I'm not going to drive down, but if you can go you certainly should. Probably be 300-400 fighters, good fighting and good partying.

A final consideration:

It would behoove you greatly to attain Skeleton rank before Ragnarok, because Skeletons get to wear a mask (and get one for free). Zombies wear makeup. This means you'll probably be applying makeup at least twice a day: once before the battles then once before we leave to go to parties.

That will be a huge drag. Be skeletons.

I have been informed that some of you kids on the facebooks are upset at my evil, draconian camp rules. I wanted to post here to clear up some of that.

Nobody is going to get stuck cleaning up the camp all week. We're going to have a list of chores, and put a small group of people on it each day. If we have enough people, then you'll only have to "work" for one day. According to the event organizers, I'm responsible for everything there, so I'll be there every day to help whoever's on shift.

Last year at Rag, there was some issues with people who came just to party, and they made trouble for the people who were there to fight and have fun. That's why I don't want Rag to be your first Dag event. I want people camping with us to be there because they're excited about fighting, not because they want to be drunk for a week.

If you absolutely can't make it to any of the other events we're doing (and it looks like we might be doing a demo at Arcon for Dagorhir), then PM me, or email me and we ought to be able to work something out.

It's -very- important to our camp that if you're coming for the whole week, please, pre-reg. The more pre-regs we have, the more space we'll be allotted, and less likely anyone we don't know will be able to squeeze in on our territory.

Please, You know me. I'm reasonable. If you have a question, ask me, e-mail me, have someone IM me, whatevs. Just don't look for me on facebook.

Master of camps,

-Dan

In case it wasn't painfully obvious otherwise, our camp is 18+. Talk to me if you think this may be a problem for your good times.

Isn't Rag 18+ anyway o_0. I mean, it would be nice to see people there my size but I don't think parents would like me shooting arrows at their 6 year old :/

There may be people in adjacent camps that are bringing children.

People under 18 can get in with a waiver if they're accompanied by their parent or guardian for the entire week.

I have been informed that some of you kids on the facebooks are upset at my evil, draconian camp rules. I wanted to post here to clear up some of that.

Nobody is going to get stuck cleaning up the camp all week. We're going to have a list of chores, and put a small group of people on it each day. If we have enough people, then you'll only have to "work" for one day. According to the event organizers, I'm responsible for everything there, so I'll be there every day to help whoever's on shift.

Master of camps,

-Dan

To back Dan up, and clarify something I said on Facebook (which wasn't as clear as I had thought)...

You're not going to find a place to camp where you're not expected to pitch in. You can NOT just show up and expect to camp with Narnia. They have the same expectations when it comes to helping in camp. They do not run an open camp because of similar problems in past years. If you're camping with someone you've gotta help carry the weight. Dan is not asking for anything

At the same time, this is not Novitas. We can't bribe you with XP to get you to help clean up. The only thing we can "bribe" you with, is rank. In this case, its a reward for "doing it right". So, with rank comes privileges. In this case the privileges are not that you don't have to do any work, they're that you've done the work in the past, and now you get to choose which work you plan on doing. You get to choose to cook dinner every night for the whole unit. You get to choose to be the liaison with the campground and the neighboring units. Just like I choose the responsibility for setting up events and keeping the Winterfell website working over being responsible for weapon checks and paperwork.

You are free to start another unit (in fact, I encourage someone to do it right so that the Legion can stop carrying the weight for Winterfell) however you will find you still need to clean up your campsite, cook food and do dishes. You can even camp on Merc's Row, by yourself. You'll meet lots of interesting people there, and you'll still get to do lots of fighting, but you'll still have to clean up your tent and campsite.

And to clarify, I'm not a member of the Legion because:

1. I don't wear black.
  2. I'm not doing a mask or face paint.
  3. I'm not working my way back up the ranks. Trying to run Winterfell is more than enough work for me.
  4. I'm not interested in doing the "military unit" thing.
  5. I've got friends in Narnia that look forward to hanging out with and fighting along side them. I get to see my friends in the Legion at Novitas, which is far more often than I get to see my friends in Narnia.
  6. I thought Narnia gives me more freedom to do what I want, but after thinking about it more, I'd have almost as much freedom within the Legion to fight in whatever position I want and do whatever persona I want (as long as I'm now dead, and wear black).

I guess Dan and I are just stunned that there's whining at all from people who ARE NOT IN THE LEGION??! Christ's sake people, you don't like how Dan and I do things, go make another unit. There's no rule that you have to be part of the Legion. Hell, go make a unit of Great Forest elf rangers, or a human Civen legion, or just a band of Free Lands mercenaries, or a clan of Tribesmen, or whatever floats your boats. I'd love for there to be more good-looking units in Winterfell. But I don't even begin to understand where some of you get off bitching about something you're not even a part of...