Papa Goob

May Market

Hey folks-

Come May, I'd like to run a Market plot. The idea here is to have a full blown marketplace, selling not only consumables and reagents, but also all the everyday common things that a typical market might have. Baskets, cloth, candles, food, etc. Hell, if I could get chickens in cages and birds of paradise whistling at pretty girls, I'd be all about it.

The goal here is to get a collection of stuff that not only has tactical advantage for your PCs, but also might sharpen up your garb, add to your encampment, or just be plain curious. A chance for your PCs to unload some of the hoarded coin for some useful trinkets.

What I am personally planning, is to sweep through my house, and do a Spring Cleaning. Anything that looks vaguely period, that I haven't found a use for, is going to the market. Bowls, weird little curios, maybe some of Jen's erstwhile knitting, some candles, etc. Depends on what I find.

Here's where I need help: If anyone has similiar things that would fit the idea of a migrating merchant train, and wants to donate them, I'm looking for stuff. No anachronisms please. But if there's a piece of garb that you stitched together that you didn't get quite right and really aren't ever going to get back to fixing, or a clay pot you put together years ago that isn't doing much in your house, or a decent rug, or some wooden spoons or mugs, well, you get the idea. Use your best judgment.

Also, if anyone wants to be included in the plot, let me know. If your PC wants to know some of the merchants, or you're the guy who convinced them the danger from last season is gone, or you want to play an instrument or be the market flirt -- PC or NPC-- let me know. I'm essentially tired of the lone merchant coming into town, selling his 4 potions, and disappearing. The idea here is to create a raucous colorful interesting setting, within which other plots can happen for a little while. I'm not sure if we can pull it off, but I'd like to try.

Thanks!

-Drew

Sweet, sounds like fun. I have so many relevant things collecting dust in my house: it'll be a joy to let someone put them to good use. If I NPC, will I get to haggle?

If I NPC, will I get to haggle?

That's the plan.

drew is this open to PC's selling there stuff and setting up little shops at the fair. if not you should think about that. I think you would get some takers.

drew is this open to PC's selling there stuff and setting up little shops at the fair. if not you should think about that. I think you would get some takers.

Absolutely Steve. If players want to rent a stall from the wagon train, I think it would rock. I'd love to see shell games, healers for hire, trinkets being sold, pickpockets stirring up their own plot, etc. I was actually also thinking that if Brian L. was NPCing that shift, that we might see Kaidan return as well.

I think that, like all things KoN, the more we all put into it the better it will turn out.

this sounds great, gabby would be all up in that if she were not leaving...

I'm not speaking for the GM cadre when I say this, but if you're sacking Gabby for good, maybe you could NPC her for the market. I like returning characters, it helps establish continuity.

Good I'll bring the last of doolin's junk.

I can NPC Kaydan and bring my books and things to sell that I've still got if you'd like. Also, if the GMs wish to put some scrolls or other strange archaic items in game, or scroll paper and such, Kaydan's your merchant!

Sweet Idea! This'll give me an actual reason to support my leather addiction. I don't know why, but I just love making leather straps. Tons of fun, useful for strapping stuff. And, this'll give me a chance to pull out the old Marrakech market skills.

Great idea, can't wait!

i could play an insterment, but it'll have to be like a trumpet or singing, i dono, i might play some good drums, but it also depends on if i can go or not as well. if i had weapon crafting by then (i doubt) i could make up some weapons to sell as well.

In game my sister is married to a merchant in Civen and I like to role play that I go visit her from time to time if you want to use that I'm all for it I've been trying to make Hazar more of a role play character. Perhaps her husband could hire me to do some business for him in Pinedale. I've got some odds and ends, not to mention my own potions I could sell.

In game my sister is married to a merchant in Civen and I like to role play that I go visit her from time to time if you want to use that I'm all for it I've been trying to make Hazar more of a role play character. Perhaps her husband could hire me to do some business for him in Pinedale. I've got some odds and ends, not to mention my own potions I could sell.

If this sister and brother-in-law is covered in your character history, then sweet. If not, send me a PM describing those npcs, your relationship with them, etc, and maybe we'll throw them into the mix come May. As always, GMs reserve the right to "generate story"/screw with you a little bit with these plot threads.. be warned. :)

I'm game. I hope by then to have more crochet doilies and such done that I was thinking of selling anyway.

As for my healing services.. that you have to take up with the Captain.

I would totally be up for NPCing Gabby as a trader/merchant. I can sell of some on the stuff she has and look around for some more interesting things. and poison if the player asks just right ;)

Perfect.

Drew, what are you thinking for the "Wagon Train" and the "stalls" themselves? At work (Ontario Orchards) we have all sorts of big crates, barrels, etc. that you could set things up on, but are you thinking more along the lines of just using tables?

Actually, I was hoping VanderKamp would have their white tents set up over the picnic tables between logistics and pinedale.

Bump for a reminder.

Alex, those Ontario Orchards boxes/barrels still available? They'd need to come and go. Thoughts?

I love this idea. I am sure that I have some baskets and such. I am also working on some more mundane items, boxes, feast gear, pouches and bags in leather and cloth, tabards, and maybe even try my hand at a cloak or two as well. Probably a few sets of bracers and a couple of belts too! Rynil would definately be interested in getting a booth. I will seperate some stuff for the NPC's and stuff for me.

Awesome!

Also: Friday night NPCs? Start practicing pick pocketing. >;)

I would start practicing, but for the deterrent of jail time. Of course, the best way to get around that deterrent is to be really really good... ;)

I still say the easiest way to pick pockets is to do it when they're unconscious. It's just the matter of getting the mark to agree to being unconscious, that's the tough part.

Drew, would you like me to NPC Kaydan, selling books and things? Or do you want me to come up with something else. I'm gonna be PCing during the day so if the market's during the day it might not matter.