Sign in to follow this  
Baazorg

Questions on Sword Construction

I have been having a couple issues with the swords that I have been building.

1. Stab Tips. I DAP 'em to the tip of the weapon. The ones that I have done seem fine. But Magnus failed them at Conan due to "not being stable". They move from side to side abit....what can I do to fix this?

2. Weight/Balance. At first I thought it was just my PVC cores, but the 42" kitespar/reblade that I bought/made from Dave has the same problem. Even though it is extremely light, it is very tip heavy, and I lose speed significantly while changing directions. What is a recommended counterweight since the pommel is only foam?

3. Handle. The kitespar core is hella thin, and I need to thicken it significantly before it fits comfortably in my hand. What methods/materials are recommended to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

to answer 3. i wrapped the handle of my 2hder with a layer of left over camp mat then taped it =)

Weight Balance and your handle problems can get taken care of in the same step. Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some bar-stock. It should be a bar of steel (don't go for the aluminum) that's about a half-inch wide, an eighth inch thick, and 4 feet long. Use a hacksaw to cut a couple pieces off as long as your handle. Tape them to the sides of the handle, cover the handle with hockey tape, leather or whatever you prefer. Your handle will be much more substantial, and the weight of it will help the balance a lot as well.

For the record, I do this even to my polearms. Yeah, they might weigh an extra pound or two, but they have really nice balance.

Leon: I know, it's not quite what I was looking for.

Vicious: Thanks! This is what I did, and it worked perfectly. I was able to get a 3' bar for under 4 bucks including tax, and had a little help via Tony's hacksaw.