Sign in to follow this  
Vicious the Jester

Woodchuck

Anyone who knows me, knows that I only drink like once or twice a year. There's just not much alcohol I enjoy and it's not something I'm interested in "developing a taste for". As I find things I like, I add them to the list of things I drink (which is only like 4 items currently). I'm really picky. If I don't like it, I might as well drink water.

So, between Dave and various other people around here, you're always talking about "Woodchuck". I went into Wegmans yesterday and looked for it. There's like 3 or 4 different selections. Granny Apple, 809, etc. What's the difference? What's to know about these? Keep in mind that I've never found a beer I like, so that's not a good comparison. I have a party at my place in a few weeks and was planning on getting a 6-pack to try some (and share it with the guys who are coming out). What would people recommend?

Educate me on Woodchuck.

Start with the Amber. Granny apple is quite tart; the 809 has a molasses finish.

What Dave said. I'm a fan of the pear, also. The Spring version tastes like flowers. Essentially, it tastes like sharp, carbonated apple juice. Or pear juice. If you don't like the amber, you can probably stop there...

I like the dark + Dry. They're all good, Granny apple's a little too tart for me, and springtime is a little to flowery.

I'm a fan of the Amber and the Granny Smith, then again I like Granny Smith apples. :P

Thing to remember is that all it is, is fermented and light carbonated apple cider. So should you like apple cider, chances are you can find a hard cider you like. Woodchuck is pretty damn good, but there are a few other brands out there as well.

Hornsby's, Original Sin, lots and lots. I'm something of a cider connosseur...

Dan likes the ones that taste like apple beer, don't listen to him. Start with the Amber, that's the baseline and tastes the most conventionally "cidery".

Alternately, we can just get a bottle of alcohol and make whatever you're drinking be 5% ABV.

just puttin that out there.

The 802 has the best cider flavor IMO. The Amber is their orignal popular product and has a sweet candy taste. It goes down really easy. The 802 is just as smooth and has a cleaner taste than the Amber. It finishes sweet but not candy-apple sweet.

It's closer to the French (not fancy Paris French. Normandy and Brittany's dairy and cider countryside French) ciders that were really good. I sampled 7 varieties while I was there. My favorite was the stuff on the same shelf as the Coca-Cola. It was deemed an acceptable substitute for beer by several of the adults we traveled with.

Wegmans also may carry a Doc's Draft which is dryer and has some bite to it. Original Sin is pretty good, in between the 802 and the Amber and you can taste more "apple" (it's got a little bit of a fruit taste).

They were carrying an english "all organic" cider which was pretty good. It also had a clean apple taste. It was about 35% more expensive per volume than the Woodchuck. If you are going to excercise your sense of taste I recommend it. You don't down it all at once like the Woodchuck Amber but it isn't because of a burn or anything like that.

There are really only 3 Woodchucks that I care for... Mostly because it's basically just regular hard cider, and no extra stuff (molasses, extremely sour..etc).

Woodchuck Amber

Woodchuck Crisp

Woodchuck Winter

Woodchuck winter is seasonal, as well as Crisp if i'm not mistaken... For the most part these all taste like "generic" hard cider like Dave said. (slight variations). Nothing like beer, and very easy/sweet to go down. No bitter aftertaste, no burn, and for the most part these have the same if not more alcohol as a regular beer. So quite easy to down a few and get a nice drunk going on without really hitting you like Beer and such does.

A couple shots of Cuervo and everything tastes the same. :P

Learn to stomach turpentine and a whole new world opens up.

I suggest the granny smith.

There is the Raspberry Woodchuck as well. It's a sweeter taste then most of the woodchucks, but I'm big on sweet alcohol. The raspberry taste is subtle but you know it's there. and it's smooth, not as tart as I find the apple and pear woodchuck.