Sign in to follow this  
Dren Ollevres

Advanced Civilization

Avalon%20Hill%20Civilization.jpg

This game was made by Avalon Hills back in 1991. It sells somewhere around $500 at any given time online due to it being out of print. Since I don't have 500 bucks to put into a board game, I decided to make my own version of the game from scratch.

If any of you want to give the game a try, I'll save you a bit of trouble. Here's the final version of the print-ready PNG images, compressed in RAR format:

Units, Ships and Cities

Civilization Technologies

Map, Playermat, and Charts

Commodities and Calamities Decks

Advanced Civilization Rulebook

The original images for the game were mono-color, flat, and fairly simplistic. I leveraged some of the images from CivProject online for the commodities, but most everything else is custom. Even if you own the original game already, the above PNG files make for a serious overhaul.

You'll probably have to fudge with the image sizes when printing, or take it to a CopyMax / Kinkos (especially for the large map). Some of the sheets for the card decks need to be printed multiple times. (The rulebook and/or online resources can help you with card quantities and so forth.)

The rulebook is the text extracted from pieces of various PDFs. I didn't really give it a good read-through since I already know how to play... so if it's confusing, I apologize.

Good luck :)

Check out Mare Nostrum, too. I haven't played it, but I hear good things. Like "a playable Civilization", for instance.

I used to have pretty good condition copy of Civ, sadly it got lost in my college days. Only played a few times, have mixed feelings about it.

I used to have pretty good condition copy of Civ, sadly it got lost in my college days. Only played a few times, have mixed feelings about it.

Apparently the original Civ was fairly lackluster, overall, as a game. Thus, they revamped the rules, map, tech trees, and added a bunch more resources/calamities for Advanced Civ.

I took this all in to be printed yesterday. Probably gonna cost around $150 once the supplies are bought and everything's put together. Sure beats paying 4x that amount though. :D

Check out Mare Nostrum, too. I haven't played it, but I hear good things. Like "a playable Civilization", for instance.

I love Mare Nostrum, but I've heard it's hard to find a copy these days.