Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Tower Shield Advice

So in preparation for Dag practices here in the greater Syracuse area, I'm making up two shields. I'm about 80% on a curved core shield, and I'm starting work on a tower shield.

1) Should I do anything more than 3 layers of camp mat? (plus some on the user-side as well)

2) What should I do for the handle? Big metal handle from a garage door, raised up a little bit? or the same layered-leather handle we have on the barrel shields?

I think leather is indeed the right answer.

I'd like to see a plain plastidip shield made out of bluefoam before I try one, but that's kind of cost prohibitive for a loaner.

I'll be converting my tower into a PD shield soon, I'll be happy to post pictures of it when I'm done, Dan.

So, it seems that leather handles are the way to go. But I really like my garage door handle tower shield. Maybe because the only other shield I have really experienced is Tony's barrel shield. And his handle is all kinds of loose, I feel like the stretch and flex in the leather costs me responsiveness. So I guess when it comes time to make my heater, I will put on a "good" leather strap to get a better comparison.

I know that I'm not a sword and board person, but I borrowed a shield at the Auburn fighter practice that had the garage door handle and it was more uncomfortable for me to hold that than Nightshroud/ Andrew's big tower shield with the leather strap. Most people at a demo will not have experience with a shield, IMO, so I'd opt for comfort, but that is just me.