Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Canal Fest Demo

A few things:

1. Who is coming?

2. Please step up the garb and characterization for this event. I'll be making a new Legion herald tabard so I'm not wearing a raggedy piece of duck cloth. I'd like to see us look more... undead. Dark. Evil. Malevolent. Just give some thought to how to look more like an undead monster and less like a guy with a mask. The guys who are covering their heads with black/gray muslin are doin' it rite. Every little bit helps.

3. Battles! I'm in charge of the scenarios for the day, and I'm taking suggestions. I'm thinking that we'll again do the following:

++ King rez battle - you only rez with your king. Game goes for fifteen minutes, team with fewest king rezzes wins.

++ Island causeway battle with timed rezzes and control points, and boats if I can get them there.

++ Kick the Can - each team has some empty soda cans balanced on orange cones. When all the cans are off the cones, your team loses (unlimited rez).

++ 3-team CTF with staggered rezzes.

What else?

Some Sort of Bridge Battle is Always entertaining? Also I will be in attendance, I think about 5-10 people from lostwithiel will be following me out there too

The island causeway battle is a battle with an island, and you get to it from two bridges. It's enough of a bridge battle to make most happy, while giving those that dislike bridge battles other things to do.

I am coming.

As far as looking less human, I think blackening our eyes under our masks will go a long way for that. Also covering or painting exposed skin. Painting your neck to match your mask would rock. The muslin headwraps, balaclavas (unless they are too warm), gloves, and long sleeve tunics. Also, we should accessorize. Things like bodypart necklaces. Ears, eyes, fingerbones, stuff that could probably be bought at a Halloween store/website. Someone posted a link awhile back with black nylon gloves with white skeleton hands. Does this break period, since we are technically a 'fantasy' unit? Also things like bits of chain dangling (plastic chain if metal chain is a weight/safety issue) which could be made with breakaway clasps so they can't trap limbs. I had found some styrofoam skulls online, and was thinking about hanging one or two from my belt, like trophies. On a short enough chain (with a breakaway clasp) they should be ok? We also can get pretty creative with our shields now, I would like to see more of that. I plan on pimping my shield, but I doubt I can get it finished by the event, so I'll just wait until after, maybe have it done by Badon.

As far as the "raggedy undead" look, I'm on the fence. I know it can look awesome when done right. But honestly, seeing pictures of our fighters' kits (and seeing some in action) is simply amazing. We look like some elite, badass, paladin-slaying mofos. And that is pretty intimidating.

As far as battles, I really liked the hold ground, hula hoop scenario Magnus did at Conan. If you do it, I promise that both Leon and I will be shield charging entire groups of people who are huddled in hula hoops.

I wasn't a fan of the medic aspect, I thought the bridge and boats together were great.

I could also use some tall road cones, like, 4-6 of them. If you live out in the boonies and can... appropriate... a few, please do so, and let me know.

I could also use some tall road cones, like, 4-6 of them. If you live out in the boonies and can... appropriate... a few, please do so, and let me know.

I can talk to my landlord and let you know if I could happen to get a couple of these for you. Is the canal fest the one that is in tonawanda? He works for one of the companies in the niagara falls area that closes roads so might be a chance I could get them.

Thanks, pretty sure I can just appropriate some locally.

Lalala... (those are around $75 each :()

I'll put them back when I'm done. I have a couple "plumber's cones" (that I bought, thank you) but they're only about 18" tall. I need some taller ones for Kick the Can.

Parking Details: We have reserved parking in the parking lot of the Tonawanda DPW. It's around the corner, but about a quarter mile down the road.

There are also a few parking spots right next to Long Homestead where we'll be fighting. They won't reserve those spots for us, but if they're open, we're more than welcome to take them. If someone gets there early, they might be able to grab them.

Also:

Tonawanda DPW

150 Filmore Ave.

Tonawanda, NY 14150

Also, we have permission to drop off our gear right next to Long Homestead. We can't just leave our cars there, and we need to make sure there is a lane for emergency vehicles AT ALL TIMES (even when we're just unloading). If there is no lane, they WILL start towing vehicles and they will NOT wait long to do so.

Here's a map of the important stuff:

CanalFest.png

I didn't realize how far it was. :o This is one of our events right?

Here is a link to the original post on the TI forums with some more info.

http://midlandforum.kjcreate.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2691

One of the important bits:

"Garb Rules: The new garb rules as passed at RWC will be enforced at this event. No exceptions, no loop holes. People that are not fighting are welcome to wear street clothes, but as this is a demo if you are in street clothes we don't want you talking to the public about Dagorhir! No garb=no better than a passer by. Off the shelf martial arts uniform WILL FAIL as garb! If that is all you have start hacking up a bed sheet now. Things like underarmor, scrubs, and other on the edge modern clothing will fail if you make no attempt to cover it up. I don't care about sports pads as long as they are non-obtrusive (solid colors, no logos). If there are any questions on garb please contact Magnus of Narnia before the event and he will help you. Once we get there if your garb bounces, you ain't fighting.

Arrows: We may or may not allow arrows/bolts based on conditions (size of crowds, etc.). If you plan to shoot at the event please bring a non-missile back up. Sorry ahead of time if there are no missile weapons.

Dealing with the public: This is a public demo so please be on your best behavior. Wear your best garb, watch the tempers and language, and so on. The demo is not the time to tell people the story about that time you ran naked across the battle field at RAG!

If there are any questions, or if this write up is confusing please drop me a line and I will help you. "

I'll be leaving from Rome I'll meet up with you guys I have room in my vehicle for people not gear? if i take my own gear I can fit one if I don't I can fit five

I'll be leaving from Rome I'll meet up with you guys I have room in my vehicle for people not gear? if i take my own gear I can fit one if I don't I can fit five

Not planning on car pooling some people from Lostwithiel that have intensions on going? If not, let me know.. so I can pass the word along to everyone on Saturday during the meeting and cook out for you. Not sure who all is looking to go right now, as all I've heard of are three to maybe four.. not including myself and Laura.

I do not want to drive the van. I can't afford the gas unless everyone in it is kicking in $20 for gas. I plan to drive my car, and have room for two others with armor and gear. Three others if you don't have shields.

I'm going to drive up probably following you Dave. So if you don't want to lug the van I can take people me too. Only issue I think is the 8 ft spear won't fit in the car I'm using at the moment.

Dont forget me, plus my shield, and I will throw 40 at you.

Looks like we got Pat, Scotty, Connor, Jordan and me in the van, and fold one seat down for shields.

My house, 9 AM on Sunday.

Phil and I had planned on coming, but had some unexpected things come up this week and I am just coming off of a week of my bad shoulder flaring up, so we won't be able to make it.. I hope that everyone has a good time w/o us.