Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Clash of Kings III - October 14-16 2011

A Clash of Kings III

The armies are gathering; wolves and lions, stags and krakens. As the leaves change, the sounds of battle ring again through the forests of Westeros. Come join Winterfell Dagorhir and the Cairnhold Legion at the third annual Clash of Kings! Winterfell is proud to offer another year of factional field and woods battles, tournament excitement, hearty feasting and medieval atmosphere. The event will also feature a raffle with great prizes, night fighting, and a midnight monster hunt!

Date

October 14-16, 2011

Vanderkamp, 337 Martin Road, Cleveland, NEW YORK 13042

Schedule

Friday

Site opens for staff: 4:00 pm

Site opens for guests: 5:00 pm

Troll opens & gear check: 6:00 pm

Night fighting: 8:00 pm

Monster Hunt: 12:00 am

Saturday

Troll opens: 9:00 am

Weapons check: 10:00 am

Warm ups: 11:00 am

Main battles: 12:00 pm

Final battle: 4:00 pm

Feast: 5:00 pm

Spirit of Dagorhir Tournament: 8:00 pm

Night fighting & Revels: 8:00 pm

Sunday

Site closes at 2 pm

Costs

Full event site fee: $20, includes feast

Cabin reservation: $100 (this is a deposit, and can be applied to five people's site fees)

Payments can be made via PayPal to: paypal@mvgc.net [Mods, no one gets email to this address. It's a PayPal account only. Please don't edit it out this year.]

If you need to preregister another way besides PayPal, please contact me on FB or via email.

Only prepaid preregistrations will assure you a bunk.

We reserve the right to place more people in a reserved cabin if your group does not fill all ten bunks in it.

There is no hard cap on the number of attendees, however we only have bunks for 60 people. After 60, people will need to sleep on floors in cabins or bring tents.

Feast Info

The feast is provided by Vanderkamp's staff, and usually consists of salad, hot meat, hot vegetable, bread, and dessert. They offer water, iced tea, hot tea and coffee as beverages. The feast is dry.

You are encouraged to bring your own feast gear, however Vanderkamp provides place settings if you do not wish to bring yours.

Enclosed candles are preferred. Short tapers and pillars are okay providing they are in a proper base and handled with care. The event staff reserves the right to ask people to extinguish candles at any time, and for any reason.

Dirty dishes: Do NOT use the bathroom sinks to clean your feast gear. A trash can and dish washing/rinsing water will be provided after the feast.

Additional Information

Fundraiser Raffle: this is an expensive event for us to host, so we have a raffle to help defray costs. Items in previous years have included PlastiDip weapons from Wynar, plate armor from Mercenary's Tailor, weapons from Forged Foam, and leatherwork by yours truly. Everyone gets a ticket for coming, more are available for purchase. If you are a crafter or a merchant and want to attend, we will gladly accept approved donations of raffle prizes in lieu of your event site fee.

Spirit of Dagorhir Tournament: A Swiss-format tournament where all competitors get graded on win/loss record, loadout, appearance, and sportsmanship. Prizes awarded for the winner of each category as well as an overall.

Waivers: all participants will need to fill out a Winterfell chapter waiver, found here: http://www.winterfell-dagorhir.com/index.php?topic=144.0

Winterfell allows fighters 16 and older, but if you're under 18 you will need to bring a notarized waiver, or a parent to fill it out in my presence.

Cooking: There are firepits (rough stone rings) at each cabin. There are also gas grills available, but you'll need to bring your own full-size propane tank. Alternately, there's a large convenience store/small grocery store about 3 miles from the site in the town of Cleveland. They have a deli there that does good subs, chicken fingers, stuff like that - but it closes at 9 pm.

Footwear: Shoes/boots/sandals/some type of footwear is required at all times when outside of buildings. We regularly find buried broken glass, nails, and other such unsavory crap half-buried on the trails and around the fire pits.

Conduct: The campsite is owned by a Christian group. As such, loud foul language should be avoided, as well as anything that would be outright offensive. If you cross a line and jeopardize my ability to hold events here, you will be punched in the balls quickly and viciously.

Monster Hunt: Want to kill a minotaur? Fight an ogre? Fend off waves of shambling zombies? In the dark, in the woods, danger in every shadow, it's one of the most scary and immersive scenarios ever!

Merchants: All are welcome. Regular $20 site fee must be paid, no other fees apply. If you wish, we can arrange some tables in and near a cabin and set up a "bazaar" for multiple vendors.

Sleeping Facilities: The cabins are unheated, uninsulated, and most don't have glass in the windows, only screens. Only two of the six cabins have electrical outlets (although all of them have electric lights). We have a few kerosene heaters for people who are really sensitive to the cold, but there's six cabins and only a few heaters, so get there early to claim one - or bring your own. If you're going to heat your cabin, you will need to cover the windows. We like to use a staple gun and a few wool surplus blankets, but you could probably just use black plastic. Honestly, just bring a good sleeping bag and you'll be fine. It's October, not January.

Bathroom Facilities: Male and female bathhouses with running water, flush toilets and hot showers.

Winterfell House Rules: Metal knees, elbows and hands are fine. Curved shields are measured on the chord, not the arc. Maximum gauge of metal for helmets is ignored. Undead are invincible. Don't start none, won't be none.

-----------------------------

Changes from last year

1. Troll will run from Fellowship Hall.

2. Tavern in the Tent

3. Not a dry event this year, but we're not advertising it as a party event either. It's discreetly damp this year. Feast is dry.

-----------------------------

Stuff that needs to be handled

1. CoKtags

2. Troll shifts: Friday 5-midnight, Saturday 9-noonish

3. Weapons check, armor check, garb check

4. Heralding

5. Battles

6. Raffle prizes (we make money on this that helps pay for the site). My shop is dead right now, don't look to me for much beyond a couple plain swords and a belt+pouch.

7. Spirit of Dagorhir Tournament organization and prizes

What am I forgetting?

Friday night and Saturday morning.

We need some stickers for weapons check.

Maybe I can help with Troll? You guys were such kind hosts at Ragnarok, I'd like to help if it's not a big bother to train me. I'll think about whether I have anything that would be good for a raffle, too.

Julie, Troll is easy. An order of magnitude simpler than KoN Logistics. Just put their name in a spreadsheet, note their event tag number, get a signed waiver, give them a raffle ticket, and get their money.

are there any plans on throwing in for a cabin for CL members?

Or can five of us just ban together and reserve one?

Also:

I don't have any worthy Dag stuff to donate to the raffle. But I still have all those RPG books that I was trying to offload. I would gladly donate a couple of them.

I am assuming that for the "monster attack rawr" battles, we will be volunteered as the roles of the monsters? I won't get there until right at about midnight on Friday, maybe even a bit after.

I can offer the blued-steel splints that we raffled a couple years ago (and I won). They still haven't seen use.

I'm also more than happy to help with Heralding and the "Spirit of Dagorhir" tournament. I'm willing to help come up with battles for Saturday as well. I don't have the biggest bag of tricks for different battles, but I can get some basic ones down and get some advice for some others from other people.

(edit: 9/16/2011) Best to not count on me being there at this point.

The Legion will take Cabin 4, no need for us to reserve it. I'm pretty sure we're showing up.

Just found out at work today, there's a good chance I'll be in India that weekend. I hate to miss C.o.K., but this could mean a substantial raise and a promotion, as well as the bonus pay I'll make while I'm there. I'll keep people posted.

This also means that I might be missing the October Novitas event.

(edit: 9/16/2011) Further details make me believe that I will NOT be in town for Clash of Kings.

Julie, Troll is easy. An order of magnitude simpler than KoN Logistics. Just put their name in a spreadsheet, note their event tag number, get a signed waiver, give them a raffle ticket, and get their money.

I can do that, probably both Friday night and Saturday morning. I'll confirm as it gets closer.

Dave, at September game the Oddfellows cabin had only beds for 8 (four twins, two bunks), and the slats were missing from the bunkbeds so they were not actually usable for sleeping. I don't know if VK lost some beds due to damage from the camp kids or what. Other cabins may also be light on beds. You will want to do a count at the next KON event, or sooner if we're there for putting in the new shed, to make sure how many you can sleep in each cabin.

Dave do you want what's left of the draft yeungling for COK? It may make the Legion cabin slightly damper than originally intended, but I think there will still be a lot left over.

Feast Info

The feast is provided by Vanderkamp's staff, and usually consists of salad, hot meat, hot vegetable, bread, and dessert. They offer water, iced tea, hot tea and coffee as beverages. The feast is dry.

Does this remain true? I assume its a dry event but I've been told other things by other people. I'm always down for boozen' I just need to know if I am allowed.

That is the event, not the feast.

Feast is dry. The rest of the event is "discreetly damp". Go ahead and drink. Do not act the fool.

Want me to tool something for the raffle? I'm sure I could do something between now and then... ideas?

Yes please. Maybe a nice pair of armor-grade bracers? A belt and pouch are also good.

I honestly don't think I have any armor grade leather... mostly tooling sides... but I will check, as I have some great ideas for bracers. If not I will do a belt and pouch.

Just as I thought, no (or at least no large enough) armor grade leather. <_<

Looks like a belt and a pouch, cause I do not have the cash to buy leather.

No problem, whatever you can whip up. I can give you a shoulder as reimbursement of you have one already to make a quiver?

Actually I do have a shoulder.... I will tool the hell out of a quiver :) (I hate tooling belts)

Deal :)

I'm going to try to remember to bring the blued splints to Novitas, so they can be used for a prize.