Coroth

Role Play vs Sword Play

Role Play vs Sword Play  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Talking or fighting

• Role Play- ill talk em do death
    • Sword Play- eat my justice!
    • Both- talking or killing its all the same

I am interested in what the player base is interested in plot wise for the coming season. So let your vote be cast do you enjoy the role play aspects of the game, the combat loot part of the game or a combination of both?

I'm a combat-junkie, I must admit, but I'm slowly opening my eyes to role-playing. Running an actual PC might change my mind, though...

I do love to lay down a beating, and great battles tend to be the most memorable and exciting moments for me. Still, I like my conflicts to be about something. If I'm going to be in a battle I prefer it to be because of something worth fighting for. This takes more roleplaying than random encounters.

While I don't have much interest in some RP plots, like "flower girl" filler type stuff, I do enjoy the RP scenes that tie into important matters whether there's combat or not. Most of the scenes like this for me have mostly been with other PCs, like Gerard and Marius discussing what they're doing in the freelands and how it's changed them, or the town leader meetings were having before Rynil disappeared into the forest.

In short, both. Either one would be boring without the other. Like Yin and Yang, they need to be kept in balance for me.

KoN's appeal for me is that while you can enjoy all the aspects of tabletop RPing, you get to actually fight the fights, feel the armor, and struggle to tag your opponent. I mean, hell, I jog in the morning to get in shape for LARP. So the combat is definitely a big part of why I drive hours, pay money, and try to sleep through Dana's snoring. ;)

But, at the same time, most of my favorite scenes in the last 2 years are the character interactions. Dialogue. World building. Creative curses. Sharing meals with the Legion was totally different than having a meal in the pagoda, but both have moments of pure awesome.

So yeah, I want it all.

Combination, but random attacks are boring. I'd rather go on a plot having to fight through groups of henchmen to ACHIEVE something and advance my character's storyline more often then just getting jumped near town by bandits and such. While I understand sometimes attacks like that are hooks, generally they just serve as a loot source.

I'm definitely a mixture of both. I love good roleplaying, but sometimes I just love to fight things and not have to work in a reason to do so. so just stuff to kill/hunt is always awesome, but if that was it, then I'd get bored.

I would like to see more random stuff, bandits jumping people taking a walk back by the MS cabin. Make the pcs go look for adventure, I remember when I first started playing there was random treasure laying out in the woods, perhaps it's not realistic, but it was cool. I think if you have random encounters out and about people who want combat can just go for a walk, those who want to RP go to the inn.

I am always looking for a mix of combat and role-playing, but I like to get my role-playing from the other PCS. I figure the job of the GM is to give the players something to hit, a reason to hit it, and a reward for doing so. The job of the PCs is to add the flavor, after all we are the meat of the plot right?

Nothing ruins the atmosphere more for me than PCs who just finished a good fight/action moment and act casual as they tally thier points and worry about getting thier even choice of loot. "Hey Bob didn't that Troll just kill your brother, and then rip your arm off" [bob], nah its cool ten minutes to reset, give me my silver" ;)

Well its my experience that both ideas are extremely important to an engaging and wonderful LARP experience. The most memorable moments in LARP are always those that require both at the same time. People often feel like little random encounters are less fun but many of them don't realize its because there was most likely very little interaction between you and the opposition where as major plot line battles always have plenty of role play. Obviously the ST or GM is not responsible for this part of the game as much as the players are. I would say that perhaps the GMs job is to plan for equal amounts of awesome events in both atmospheres and that is the players responsibilities, PC and NPC alike, to create memorable moments on their own.

I am laughing to myself right now because I used to be (many years ago) the guy who showed up to events with a character name and a stick. The only goal being how many people could I slam on in a single day. I guess LARP is pretty wonderful to draw me out of that mind frame.

I guess my vote is I want a lot of both.

If there is one thing I want more than anything at the LARP, that thing would be that Pinedale wasn't a battlefield every single day. Rarely do you find safe hours to walk around the 50yard town alone safely. I voted both.

If there is one thing I want more than anything at the LARP, that thing would be that Pinedale wasn't a battlefield every single day. Rarely do you find safe hours to walk around the 50yard town alone safely. I voted both.

Is this something that a lot of the players really want? It could be a very nice thing to have some time for town stuff and just dealing with PC plots, but we have always been concerned with complaints of boredom.

Some feedback about the idea of Pinedale not being a battlefield for a day, or a few shifts... or is this an opinion that only Brett and I share?

Is this something that a lot of the players really want? It could be a very nice thing to have some time for town stuff and just dealing with PC plots, but we have always been concerned with complaints of boredom.

Some feedback about the idea of Pinedale not being a battlefield for a day, or a few shifts... or is this an opinion that only Brett and I share?

I would also like at least one shift every now and then for PC plots. It would be nice to have the majority of PCs in character together once in a while too.

I agree too. Maybe an hour or two on saturday or something. Where everyone pc's and just hangs out in town. Of course there are those who do not have pc's. They could just dress as farmers and also walk around town visiting and such.

How about if there's no more Friday night shift? The only NPCs Friday night will be the Innkeepers, everyone else can be IC. Maybe one GM can have a half-dozen people, either new folks or people without a current PC (or who can't play their PC for some reason)...