Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Elven steel

4th: People don't get robbed anymore. For whatever reason people just don't seem to be losing their items as much as they used too. I understand that sometimes it sucks to get rolled and looted but lately I can't think of anyone losing something powerful to NPC's. The first year or two I attended game it seemed like a lot more people lost items to NPC's.

STQ and the Bazaar get robbed every month. Sometimes it's just potions and scrolls, other times it is all our magic items. I paid twice to recover a rod looted off Dano and resold by a fence.

STQ and the Bazaar get robbed every month. Sometimes it's just potions and scrolls, other times it is all our magic items. I paid twice to recover a rod looted off Dano and resold by a fence.

Maybe we shouldn't allow stuff to be bought back or looted back so easily... Keep it away for a LONG time, if not forever. Teach people that you cant just leave your shit hanging around. Also would force people to be more secretive about what they have and not just flaunt items....etc all over everywhere they go.

I agree that items looted shouldn't shouldn't come back in the same shift or maybe even the same event (that is if they manage to get away before being caught by anyone in town) but with bandits around town, fences are bound to come by from time to time and I like that scoundral type of character. So maybe you get robbed and the next event you see another townsfolk with your item, you can a) beg and plead with them to give it back B) suck it up or c) buy it back at probably higher rate.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Nice to know the "kill the fence and make Pinedale a hateful place to do business" option was not listed

Rhaveniel only believe's in killing as a last resort. Besides, we are all guilty of being fences - that wand you found on that orc? It belonged to some poor traveler once, but sure I'll buy it from you or trade with you for it - there is no way to prove he didn't come by it honestly, unless we're willing to truth serum every merchant that comes to Pinedale, so we let it slide.

Pinedale = Double Standards... You say that you wouldn't purchase something if it came into town "Stolen" and you knew about it. However; if it was an extremely awesome epic item, you would drop just about anything to get your hands on it...

Not that this is wrong, but don't for one minute pretend that ANYONE in town is completely innocent because if the loot or reward was good enough, anyone would do just about anything to get their hands on it. We're all a bunch of greedy bastards.

Honestly, Rhaveniel could care less about magic items. She actually only owns 2, a fan and Miles' sword; which I am returning to him as soon as he returns. Most of the magic items in our group, she's paid for because someone told her they needed them. If her friends are robbed, she will give or loan them coin to purchase the items if they are seen again, but believe what you want to. Pinedale is full of greedy folks.

Magic items are like Elven steel; nice to have, but not necessary.

Can't find a better place to post this:

A discussion i was having irl about power creep and DR and things not being scary anymore led us around to this - DR does not increase the difficulty of the encounter as intended, it instead implements a gear check. As in, "Do you have the gear to do this encounter? No? Then you can not fight me. Go find someone who can." They started doing this in WoW around the first time i quit.

There was more but ill make Lew post the rest. And now i must away as it is time for fighter practice.

Can't find a better place to post this:

A discussion i was having irl about power creep and DR and things not being scary anymore led us around to this - DR does not increase the difficulty of the encounter as intended, it instead implements a gear check. As in, "Do you have the gear to do this encounter? No? Then you can not fight me. Go find someone who can." They started doing this in WoW around the first time i quit.

There was more but ill make Lew post the rest. And now i must away as it is time for fighter practice.

This is at least partially inaccurate. There are tons of ways to interact with an encounter. It sounds like you are coming from the assumption that you are entitled to defeat every opponent in a fight at face value and that the DR is forcing you to do something against your will (ie. buy into the crafting system).

In a game with less ES running around people get clever. They have to. They keep Wraithbanes and Transmutations on hand. Enchant Weapon is not a speed bump. Command spells and defending retreats are on the table too.

I suspect players have stopped branching out and/or relying on each other for specialized effects because a straight-up fight is the lazy option. This is as much a problem of players not being creative (or paying attention) as it is one of overusing DR.