Sign in to follow this  
Leenoco

Wraithbane + Gob Iron

Wraithbane

Level: 5

Duration: Game Day

Range: Touch

Dispel: Yes

This spell endows a single, non-magical melee weapon with a sheath of magical energy. The spell will function on any size hand weapon, but the character using the weapon must still possess the necessary skills to wield a weapon of that size. The spell will not work on missile weapons, thrown weapons, shields, or non-weapon objects. For the rest of the game day the weapon hits for +1 Elven Steel damage. This spell increases the damage of the attack by one, to a maximum of four. It is legal for a character to fight with two endowed weapons, one in each hand. Endowed weapons cannot bear blade poisons or other enchantments while endowed. A blue flag must be visible, attached the lower part of the blade or cross guards (lower shaft of pole arms and maces) of the endowed weapon. Without the flag it is considered a normal weapon.

My question is if a Goblin Iron weapon has Wraithbane aura...

1. Can it even be used on it because ES and poison don't mix?

2. If the arua is on the weapon dose it lock out the poison call if I downcall?

3. Will blade poisons work on it because it is Gob Iron and if they do do they still get the extended time/uses? (Which is no to how it is worded and just trying to make sure)

4. And if I have more than 1 weapon do I have to give all the weapons that aura or is it pick and choose?

My question is if a Goblin Iron weapon has Wraithbane aura...

1. Can it even be used on it because ES and poison don't mix?

2. If the arua is on the weapon dose it lock out the poison call if I downcall?

3. Will blade poisons work on it because it is Gob Iron and if they do do they still get the extended time/uses? (Which is no to how it is worded and just trying to make sure)

4. And if I have more than 1 weapon do I have to give all the weapons that aura or is it pick and choose?

Its definately a single weapon, not all weapons (first sentence).

I would say that blade poisons wouldnt work despite being GI under, as the spell specifically prevents it.

The other question is a bit more debatable, but my guess is that the ES overwrites the GI for the duration, because they are so inimical, so no downcalling, but thats just a guess. As the spell doesnt say otherwise, I would expect you could target a GI weapon with the spell, its just a bad choice.

-Bill

you can enchant a Goblin iron weapon, Goblin iron is a material type not a blade poison like corruption or scorpion's kiss....

You can downcall still to poison since again its not a blade poison yet, you however cannot use the benefit of goblin irons double usage of blade poisons since you cannot put blade poisons on it, not because its not elven steel, but because its endowed with a spell. I'm pretty sure nature's blade mentions this as well, so your checking two different points of the material type rules.

Also if each casting mention it affects a weapon, so if you dual wield you need to cast enchant weapon twice to effect both your weapons.

Examples:

I cannot make a poison silver sword or place blade poisons on silver since it mentions silver cannot be made with poison or have poisons done on it. (this includes elven steel)

I have a goblin iron weapon and a troll comes at me, I cast natures weapon, I cannot put a poison on it since its endowed with a spell.

But this does bring up a question if you put a blade poison on a weapon, does the spell knock the poison off, or does your spell fail to affect the weapon? Or is it caster's choice?

This is a good example of a silly holdover from 20 year old rules.

Thematically I like silver and elven steel not being able to hold a blade poison.

It doesn't make sense to me that the enhancement spell would have the same effect.

I also don't see any problem with multiple enhancements on a blade, with the exception we discussed before about "on next hit" things.

I actually have a similar question and this seemed like a good place to pose it. Wraithbane, as well as all the weapon enchanting spells have this caveat:

This spell endows a single, non-magical melee weapon with a sheath of magical energy.

The non-magical part is what I was wondering about. Is it still required that the weapon be non-magical or is that an old phrasing? If it is still the case, then what constitutes a magical weapon? A weapon imbued with a spell? Made of magical material like Elven Steel? Imbued with a damage type like Nature?

Basically, I want to make sure I've not been cheating. My sword is made of Goblin Iron and imbued with Nature. Can I cast Enchant Weapon on it (or Wraithbane) and have the option of calling either NATURE or POISON or ELVEN STEEL depending on which I choose?

That phrasing is old. Wraithbane works on everything.