Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Crossbows

We're changing the way they are measured.

Effective immediately, crossbows will be considered legal for Kingdoms of Novitas use if they have a power of less than or equal to 450 inch pounds.

But Dave, what the fuck is an inch pound, you ask. I'll tell you what a motherfucking inch pound is kids.

You find the inch poundage of a crossbow by measuring the distance from the at-rest string to the drawn and cocked string. Let's call that X inches. Then you measure the draw weight of the prod (the bow part) with a fish scale, like we do for regular bows, again from the at-rest string to the drawn and cocked string. We'll call that Y pounds.

Multiply X and Y for Z inch pounds. If Z <= 450, then your crossbow is legal, including under 20'.

This concludes the class. Now go get crossbows and shoot shit.

And, full disclosure, we're looking at making crossbows do +1 damage and pierce all the time, and break cap. We'll have a magic crossbow in the Feb Feast auction to start playtesting this concept.

Why is any change taking effect now, instead of in April?

We are just changing the way we measure safety maximums. The +1 and Pierce may be implemented later.

This give people the chance to look into crossbows over the next few months. It's a good thing.

This is a change to neither a game mechanic nor anyone's character's skills or spells, so it need not wait until April for implementation. No one needs to do anything differently in-game, nor change their character sheet, nor remember anything differently out-of-game. It's not going to change how anyone does anything except C&S personnel who are checking bows, and it should make it a LOT easier to find a KoN-legal crossbow.

And now I need to try and find one and get a few bolts for it. Thanks for the update, Dave!

Yup. Me too.

Thank you for making Alex make all kinds of cute conflicted noises and twitches.

The idea is that the crossbow is always going to be, essentially, a one-shot weapon in our game system. It has all of the drawbacks and none of the advantages of a historical crossbow. So I'm trying to come up with a way to make that one shot count. A lot.

The idea is that the crossbow is always going to be, essentially, a one-shot weapon in our game system. It has all of the drawbacks and none of the advantages of a historical crossbow. So I'm trying to come up with a way to make that one shot count. A lot.

We appreciate that Dave. I know I'm going to start looking into getting one. I'm usually in the back, and often all it takes is one well placed shot to make all the difference. The sad fact about LARP is that archery is rarely as useful as it should be. This at least compensates for those of us who would rather use a crossbow then a regular bow.

Somebody who is realtively handy in the shop, could probably make their own combat archery crossbow for 80-100 bucks in parts. A quick google search turned up the Alchem Inc, which deals in x-bow parts, and provides free plans on suggested ways to assemble them. I may work on one myself depending on how "the queue" looks this winter.

A quick link to their reference data is below, for anyone else who may want to compare inch-poundage (Weight x Draw on their chart).

Inch pound chart

I don't know how far a 55 lb draw at 8 inches would go (or how accurately it would fly, but for $65 and parts, I think I'd be willing to try.

Alchem X-bow product catalog

Question or just a thought to consider.

Since the call normally does pierce...can a weapon master also add Slay to the attack?

I like the new damage upgrade for x-bows, it makes sense as x-bows are quite a bit slower, unless you get a repeating x-bow. The 450 inch pounds can get to dangerous levels though, simple math says that If i made a x-bow that is 60lbs with 6'' draw, a total of 360 inch pounds, at a range of 30 feet, my boffer arrows will hit someone in the gut so hard that it will feel like getting hit with a rubber bullet, or bean bag shot gun rounds. (don't believe me, it's been done before, and it hurts alot) however at the same time, a 35lb draw at 15", the standards for many larp arrows for x-bows, is 525 inch pounds and will not be a painful hit. the latter is capable of ranges up to 150 yards at 45 degree angle. the former is capable of 50' at most, but packs a dangerously hefty punch.

My X-bow is 12lbs @ 7" for a total of 84 inch pounds, which seems low on the old scale, but can be shot a second time, as it can be used under 10'. which is a great advantage for those of us who'd spent $100+ on the low powered LARP X-bows in the first place.

For any one who is willing spend the money, these cross bows are the industry staple for LARP x-bows:

http://www.hollowear...m/crossbows.htm

Any crossbow in KoN, under these rules can be fired at point blank range.

Hollow Earth crossbows are so horribly underpowered as to be effectively useless. No one has ever used one for more than a single game.

450IP is conservative.

Repeating Cross bow. Might be able to work if you cut the front open.. I'm worried that the bolt my flip in the air. But this is the current wet-dream.

Lots of pictures of the same guy making crossbows mostly from wood.

Another ebay seller. But has an elegant solution for JC's project.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Wait we can use pistol crossbows? That would make it even more appealing.

As long as they're not those black plastic anachronistic ones, sure, why not?