TheAuthorOfOZ

Awkward Items to Loot

As I was thinking about the 70 coin I have toward my new character, and thinking about what item to create with it, I thought about having enchanted boots. Then I realized...those boots would be numbered, and thus removable. However, in our game, it is against the rules to not have footware. Therefore I see a paradox: Hypothetical battle in, say, lootsville, PCs are downed, looted, and the looters leave. PC then has to walk back to town with no footware, but that's against the rules!

Similar situations arise when, say, looting pants. We can't really leave PCs (or indeed NPCs) in their undergarments only (unless you're Scott and volunteer :D)

I understand that making a lootable item DIFFICULT to remove is perfectly legal, but what if looting someone creates a station that [A] breaks the rules or denies them of their dignity? Inb4 "it would take to long to loot a shirt."

If you are a PC i think it's you're responsibility to cover for the eventuality of said items being looted.

Magic boots? you should have some non magic flip flops somewhere in your pack.

Magic pants? Wear underwear. or carry some light shorts around in your pack.

It seems simple enough to me.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Here are some of my thoughts:

On the issue of looting pants or undergarments. If you are a PC wearing magic pants, underwear, panties, corset with no shirt, etc. then you must be prepared to have the item looted off of you. If an NPC is playing a hungry, hungry bandit who needs any loot to feed their young, bandit children then that NPC might just go after unmentionables like that. This is, at time, dark fantasy, nudity is always in period as a garb option, and we expect the players to be consenting adults 18 or older. If the PC feels uncomfortable about revealing too much from being looted then they may need to reevaluate where they are keeping their magic items.

Boots may be trickier. Perhaps if a PC is going to wear boots that are lootable then they should carry some backup (period) sandals with their gear, have it so that the actual "magic" part of their boots are something removable such as a set of laces or buckles, or not have magic foot wear at all. I could have the option to wear blue boot laces with my boots plus my boots actually require a minute or two a piece to remove under the best of circumstances so under not so great circumstances the likelihood that my boots will get robbed is pretty unlikely.

Overall the responsibility of having lootable garb is on the player not the looting NPC. Make NPCs work for your gear but have a plan for the worst case scenario.

I just scanned the item list. We have 5 pairs of magic boots in play. What are those players doing in re: this eventuality?

You can't take my boots. I don't think so. Nope, not gonna happen. Actually I just have extra boots in the bunks. I also don't see a real problem (mine are feb feast item) just saying yes you stole my boots and thus my spell and allowing the player to continue with his footwear without the spells.

In a strange situation two autumns ago, I had both of my former p.o.s. boots fall apart within 5 minutes of each other, during a very wet weekend. That's what I got for buying $15 vinyl boots from Rue 21 to NPC in.

We were out near the Shrine of Draconus at the time, and I walked back barefoot in the mud and yuck. Needless to say, this was not pleasant. I am lucky it didn't happen in the middle of winter.

If my boots were magical, I would certainly keep a pair of turnshoes or at least sandals handy. I would not want to relive that experience.

Boots are the special situation here, because you're required to have footwear at KoN. Being reasonable adults, we can all come to some sort of accommodation here. I'd say that I'll allow you to loot my boots if you first go to my room and get my ghillies. Otherwise, we can pretend you looted them, I'll lose use of the spells in them (Sanctuary 2/GD), and I'll wear them until I can get to my room to change into something else.

The rules say I have to give you those boots until the end of the event, where we will discuss if you're buying them from me for dollars, or returning them to me and providing your own prop to replace my boots for yourself.

I have not made any special plans in the event I am looted of my boots as Ivan. I had magic pants (the fabled Necropants) as Gong Wei, and if I was looted of them I'd have just taken off the pants because I wore a long robe as well.

But, yeah, definitely something that should be thought about if you're wearing an item like this.

we will discuss if you're buying them from me for dollars, or returning them to me and providing your own prop to replace my boots for yourself.

I am a little confused here. Does this apply to weapons and other lootables as well? For instance, NPCs gank you and take your sword, which then goes back to logistics. Is the prop returned to the player and they're told "make it into something else," or is the player reimbursed?

This is a little off topic, but I am not familiar with this situation as I have never lost an item I crafted myself.

If NPCs loot an item from you, and it was a prop put in game by KoN, you get nothing.

If NPCs loot an item from you, and it was your prop, not a prop put in game by KoN, it will be returned to you at the end of the event (unless there are special plot-related circumstances involved, in which case you will be aware of these).

If PCs loot an item from you, and it was a prop put in game by KoN, they get the prop.

If PCs loot an item from you, and it was your prop, not a prop put in game by KoN, the player who looted you gets the use of that prop for the rest of that event on their PC (save extenuating circumstances, like your shoes and you have no others, or a really expensive and/or fragile item), and then you and the player who looted you will sit down - with a staff member if desired - and hammer out what's going to happen. If you're willing to give or loan them the prop (perhaps with a promise of return at some future date) that's fine. If you're willing to sell them the item, that's fine too. Otherwise, they simply get the number of that item, and are responsible for obtaining an appropriate prop (as approved by P&A) to represent it from then on (and you lose the use of the item in-game, and should retire the prop).

Clear?

Okay, so if my character gave an item to another character in game, I shouldn't give them the number, let them provide their own prop, and make my prop something different, right? That seems cheese to me, but I would like a definitive answer.

Huh? No, if you give someone something, you give it to them. If you're not willing to give them the prop as well as the number, of if the two of you can't work out an OOG price for the prop, then they don't get it.

This doesn't cover gifts, this covers looting.

The number should be ON the item. So if you give your item to another character, the number goes with it. If you give them an item, you no longer have it! They can then reimburse you, you make a new prop with a new number.

If NPCs loot an item from you, and it was your prop, not a prop put in game by KoN, it will be returned to you at the end of the event (unless there are special plot-related circumstances involved, in which case you will be aware of these).

A good example of this: Zach and I both lost items this event. During clean up we were given our props to hang onto over the winter months with the condition they will be brought back and returned to logistics for the next event.

In other words:

You give someone your hat, you cant just give them the number and continue wearing your hat... Otherwise we'd have people just disenchanting and enchanting things left and right.

Point of interest Alex, you and Amanda are dressed almost entirely in "blue." Are you both prepared to be looted down to your nickers in the middle of February? :D

Point of interest Alex, you and Amanda are dressed almost entirely in "blue." Are you both prepared to be looted down to your nickers in the middle of February? :D

Depends on how many of those items are magical.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Blue was chosen as a centerpiece color to our costumes along with a secondary color to go with it. Not all of the blue items are magic and nothing below the waist is blue anyway.

The answer is yes, and what Alex said. I'd still be plenty warm in my non-magical blue items with my few magical blue items looted. I'd be sad, but warm. Also, I just realized that our magic blue items essentially blend into our non-magical blue items much like zebras blend into other zebras. You don't know until you put in a concerted effort to figure it out.

Note: This poster's brain is still fried by end-of-the-semester stress, and so it is perfectly understandable for her to think about weird things like how zebras = magic. You may now return to your regularly programmed thread.

Also, I just realized that our magic blue items essentially blend into our non-magical blue items much like zebras blend into other zebras. You don't know until you put in a concerted effort to figure it out.

Negative, your magic items are clearly visible and obvious to anyone who takes a half-second to look at you, because they glow, sparkle, or are otherwise obvious. If someone asks, you should immediately point them out.

I know that, but nobody asks. The only person who's ever asked was the Vleanoan paper checkers.

They asked, "Is that blue thing magic? Is that?" and I was forthcoming, and when they stopped asking, I also pointed out another thing they forgot to ask about. If they had asked a general, "Are you glowing blue?" instead of each specific item one by one, that would have gone down differently. Others just haven't asked me yet.

True story

Me: "OOC are you glowing blue in anyway?"

NPC: "Nope"

Me: **Walks outside casts charm, walks inside stabs him with mageblade charm**