Sign in to follow this  
Tony McHambone

Roleplaying Dominate

Ok, I had a really crazy thought run through my head....

If someone were to Dominate you, and you had Anti-Magic-Shield up obviously you would "No effect" call. However; would the NPC or PC know IC that it didn't work?? What if you RP'd that it did in fact work, even though you called out "No Effect"?

Theoretically could you RP that it had worked even though it didn't, and the NPC or PC would have to RP as if it did work.

Edit: It was just a random thought that popped into my head.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

I think part of the "no effect" call is a roleplay of your magical protections popping out of existence so the NPC would see the spell fizzle.

Part of our suspension of disbelief means that we all collectively pretend that there are visual, tactile and auditory indicators of magic - and that we avoid metagaming around those conventions.

I think the only time you can not say "No Effect" when not taking a Dominate is if you're Noble 5 with Pure Cognizance.

Pure Cognizance does not require a “No Effect” call, should any of the immunities in rule be activated.

Pure Cognizance grants immunities to the following spells and alchemical compounds: Charm, Silence, Dominate, Memory Loss, Anesthesia, Vermin Bane, and Truth Serum.

[why do none of the rule numbers come through when I cut and paste from the .html rules doc?! Is section 5.5.1]

On the same note... Is there a visual indicator for things that have intense visual effects? Such as Primal Form, Abomination or Shadowskin?

I haven't noticed one if their is, but I thought it would be good to know if I'm supposed to RP as if someone is a gigantic hulking undead.

Yes, every spell has some sort of visual indicator, usually assumed to be a blue glow or aura. It's not bright enough to give away your position on a moonless night, but it's immediately noticeable upon cursory inspection. In the same vein, all magic items glow blue, so if you're being looted and you have a magic item on your person (not hidden), you should immediately give it up upon being asked "Does anything on you glow blue?"

Oh, I know that, but I mean Primal Form says...you become a rock monster with eyes that glow like lava. That's quite a bit different from a faint blue glow.

My question is there a different color armband or something? Or can I just ask Out of Game if they for example are a lava rock monster, undead abomination or surrounded by a whispy silver/shadowy mist?

You can ask those questions OOC. NPCs should probably be describing themselves in those terms if they're under those effects.