Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

NPC Armor

We are rather quickly gathering a substantial armory of NPC armor. Right now, the list is:

1 stainless steel sallet

1 mild steel spangenhelm

1 mild steel conical helm

1 galvanized steel chain coif

1 aluminum plackart with stainless steel shoulders

1 hauberk and shoulders of aluminum lamellar, for big people

1 half-sleeve hauberk of blackened mild steel maille

1 3/4 sleeve hauberk of galvanized steel maille

1 quarter-sleeve hauberk of galvanized steel maille, for a little person

2 hauberks of stainless steel lamallar, for small/medium people

With the exception of the aluminum, galvanized and stainless stuff, all of these items will rust. I am gong to paint all the parts I can to help with this, but this stuff will rust. And if it does rust, I will be... irritated.

I am going to provide storage totes for all this armor, and I will also provide some anti-moisture spray (Fluid Film) to help prevent the rust, but the number one thing that needs to happen is for you guys, the players using this stuff, to give a shit about it. Don't squeeze into it if it doesn't fit you, don't wear it out in the rain, don't put it away wet, don't come back in Logistics and throw it on the floor after using it.

I am buying as much of this as I can in aluminum and stainless, usually second hand and/or working deals for trade through the Armour Archive, but that's simply not economically feasible for all of it, so when I find great deals on mild steel armor, I'm buying that too.

For years, literally years, I have resisted the staff and player's requests for NPC armor on the grounds that it will just get abused and destroyed. Please, prove me wrong.

Perhaps having something like in school where kids take turns watching the class pet is in order. If there are players willing to take, clean, and care for this armor, maybe they should be able to. I have no issues maintaining and storing armor for the game. Npc's in armor is at times; scary, immersive, and generally the f'in titties.

Perhaps a small primer on Armor and Armor Maintenance is on order for those of us who don't KNOW how to care for these kinds of things already. That way, nobody can pull the "I didn't know I was supposed to do that" card

I am going to provide storage totes for all this armor, and I will also provide some anti-moisture spray (Fluid Film) to help prevent the rust, but the number one thing that needs to happen is for you guys, the players using this stuff, to give a shit about it. Don't squeeze into it if it doesn't fit you, don't wear it out in the rain, don't put it away wet, don't come back in Logistics and throw it on the floor after using it.

The aluminum and stainless stuff don't need any special care beyond keeping them dry and not trying to wedge yourself into them if they don't fit you, which will just stress the buckles and strapping and generally break things down faster. All of this armor, so far, is sized to fit a medium-small type person, someone Dan's size or smaller, say, 6' or shorter and under 175 lbs.

The mild steel stuff needs to be thoroughly dried, inside and out (sweat and evaporation from your head in the hot months, mostly), then the helmets need to be wiped down with a towel soaked with Fluid Film. The mild steel chain needs to be sprayed down with Fluid Film at the end of every event, then put into a tote. That's really it.

If they need more than that, Props & Atmosphere will deal with it.

Richard, Mike and I knuckled down for six hours today and banged out this hauberk of aluminum lamellar, made from 500 plates and red paracord. Dead sexy, and can't weigh ten pounds. Total cost: about $275.

1324162187480.jpg

Mike weighed it in at 7lbs, dead sexy. Also--it doubles as a nice snare drum!

OK, the last box of armor arrived today. This gives us seven pieces of torso armor and four helmets. I still need to build the aluminum breastplate/stainless shoulders rig, but other than that the rest should be ready to go. I'll get together with Richard and Mike again in January and we'll try it all on and make sure it's in good shape.

In the final calculus, only the shirt of blackened butted maille, and two of the helmets, will rust. I was careful to try and get galvanized maille, and aluminum or stainless armor, and largely succeeded.

We plan to tell you to buy your own armor.

No, actually, it looks like we're going to disassemble two of the lamellar shirts and make one large shirt from them.

A fighter in our Kingdom keeps his shit shiny with Lanolin. http://www.amazon.com/Baar-169-Liquid-Lanolin/dp/B001DN7A60

It is sheep oil. You spray it on and it sticks to metal and repels water, also sold as a marine lubricant and Armor All car spray.

I am going to message him and see if he has a source.

A fighter in our Kingdom keeps his shit shiny with Lanolin. http://www.amazon.com/Baar-169-Liquid-Lanolin/dp/B001DN7A60

It is sheep oil. You spray it on and it sticks to metal and repels water, also sold as a marine lubricant and Armor All car spray.

I am going to message him and see if he has a source.

Product : http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-12-oz-Pump-P180C67.aspx?UserID=14999253&SessionID=yBqW8EIURwdR1BC6EEFU

Properties: http://www.fluid-film.com/products/properties.html

MSDS: http://www.fluid-film.com/downloads/nonaerosol_msds.pdf

$20ish after shipping

Yep. I use the stuff on my chainmail. Works great so far. Not even an inkling of rust.

Good tip!

Hive, I will be getting my own chain for DAG but I hate being a 1 trick pony...

Chain is chain, it's like medieval blue jeans. It goes with anything and is invisible.

Chain is chain, it's like medieval blue jeans. It goes with anything and is invisible.

+1

When I got my cheater chain, I wore it as my PC at the time, but I also wore it as an NPC. I've also left it in Logistics for NPCs to use as well. It's not distinctive in the least. If i could get away with wearing my cheater chain at Dag, I would in a heartbeat. I've seen -1- set of chain that stands out, and even that could be worn by someone else and no one would care. I'm even considering breaking out the cheater chain with my next PC as a base.