Sign in to follow this  
Big Aeo

are these okay for use?

Personally, I do not think there is enough padding/foam on them to be legit for DAG fighting. But I'll let others chime in that are a bit more experienced in DAG than I am. :)

Though I can't say anything for padding (It's hard to tell in the pictures) I do know that tonfa are illegal to use in KoN.

Speaking for KoN only here. Weapons are normally a higher aesthetic quality than those shown. That doeantt mean they wouldn't be allowed though. The main problem with many of those shown is the lack of description. "Covered in foam" simply won't do the trick. What type of foam? What is the thickness of the foam? How flexible is the core and what is it made from? These are all questions that would be asked and tested. I easily could have missed it because I tend to over look things but I thought much of that was missing.

Been there and tested these kinds of things. They break in five secs flat. Leave em all alone.

Look around the forums a little more, there's probably a link somewhere to a copy of the old 3.0 rules section of making foam swords. $30 in basic materials and tools (like a handsaw) can make you a handful of duct tape weapons of various lengths. DAP is the contact glue used in those directions, but it's really smelly indoors, so you would want to substitute Super77 spray glue instead.

Currently acceptable weapon tolerances are found in the combat chapter, specifically section 7.8 (page 68 in the word document) of the current rules, so make sure whatever you make or buy matches those guidelines.

If you aren't very handy, or would rather buy a quality product that should last for a good long while, our very own Hivemind sells a wide range of foam weapons, represented on the forums as Hammer & Cox.

I've been working on a sword for dag at home this holiday and my mom and dad saw it. I thought that my pops would understand, but he's got pretty high standards for anything relating to martial arts. He gave me the link to those and keeps asking me why I must make my own weaponry. Thanks for clarifying, I hope next time he chuckles I can point him to this thread.

PS: I'd think that the escrimas should be alright for Kon. Escrimas are essentially sticks and the ones sold on that website not only are designed for full contact practice but even have dragons on them.

None of these weapons meet pommel requirements. I'm betting that most of them won't make weight. They all have exposed cores. The thin hollow plastic cores they use would be hard pressed to survive one Dag event, and will most likely not even pass flex tests.

I wonder if these weapons could be dag legal - probably not if they're 2 inches or less in diameter- or even if the bo staff, tonfa or escrima are KoN legal, since weapons of those types do look like that.

http://www.martialar...ed-bo-staff.htm

Not nearly enough padding for Dag, doesn't pass Aesthetics for KoN

Tonfas are basically illegal in any LARP

Doesn't look like enough padding for Dag, tsuba is probably plastic and therefore illegal, pommel illegal, might not make weight.

Not enough padding for KoN or Dag

Less than half the required padding for KoN

Exposed Core

Fails for same reasons that other sword fails for. Tsuba, pommel, etc

As well as the other reasons pointed out above. If you are not able to build a suitable weapon yourself, Dave H sells Dag-legal Edhellen swords for about $30.

but even have dragons on them.

Dragons usually = Draconus worshippers.

Which I think we have a total of three PCs who worship Draconus atm including myself.

Generally you will see Sept Stars.

In today's society, dragons are cool mythical creatures.

In Novitas, horses are cool mythical creatures. =)

I was considering casting polyfoam heads, but mixing the chemicals for the proper density would be trial & error.