Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Communications At Events

Because of repeated failures of the radio communications system to work, we're scrapping it in favor of a text message based system from here forward.

Here is how this works: if you are in a group that needs communications with Logistics, you take out your phone, and text your message to Logistics. Then you get a reply. It's that simple.

However, a few ground rules need to be established:

1. Phone use WILL BE DISCREET! If you're a druid, go walk off a bit into the trees. If you're the innkeeper, keep it under the bar. If you're adventuring, move away from the party. Discreet!

2. You WILL either set your phone to vibrate only, or use nature sounds for a ringtone (chirping birds, etc.).

3. Phones WILL NOT be visible. Pouch, pocket, whatever.

FAQ

What's the address to text to?

Send text messages to ContactKoN@gmail.com

Does this mean there's a phone in Logistics now?

Yes, it does. The phone number is 315-520-9860. You call, someone answers.

Do I call or text?

You call ONLY if something needs IMMEDIATE attention: there's an injury, there's a problem with camp staff or mundanes, there is a dangerous situation that needs immediate attention, or there is a game situation that needs an immediate rules call (generally, these are only situations relating directly to permanent PC death). Otherwise, you text: Treenet, item identification, NPC issues, etc.

Can I use my phone to communicate with other PCs?

Abso-fucking-lutely not.

But I'm a druid!

Doesn't work like that. Treenet is a broadcast medium, not a direct line (for technical people, Treenet is UDP rather than TCP). You can use Treenet to contact other Druids, but to make this happen, you text Logistics, then they rebroadcast to all the other Druids at once. There is no private line.

Can I use this mechanism for anything else?

Maybe. Use your judgement. This is not supposed to be "instant Lore". On the other hand, if there's a developing situation that you think the Game Master on shift should be aware of, then... maybe. If you're letting Logistics know that your party is taking a walk out to Lootsville, then sure, send that in. If you're texting to complain about something, then not so much. This system's under development, and we won't figure out what's good and what's not unless we use it. For this year, let's err on the side of more communication rather than less.

When will Logistics answer me?

When they get around to it. They have a lot to do, but there should be someone monitoring the comms all the time. We'll set up some sort of loud audio alert that announces incoming messages. Also, cell phone coverage in the Cleveland area can be spotty, particularly with regards to text messages and emails. If it's vital, you should call. If it's not, then be patient.

How does Logistics know my phone number?

Because you're going to tell it to them. Using the phone you plan to carry in-game, send a text to ContactKoN@gmail.com. Include all of the following:

• Real Name
  • Character Name
  • Which of the following messages you'd like to receive:

1. Druids
  2. ID Magic
  3. Estimate Value
  4. Combat & Safety
  5. Mediums
  6. Ordained
  7. General Communications (Convergence, shift change, etc.)
  8. Random Insults from Dave

I'd also recommend texting that address if you're often used as a Lead NPC, just so we can get you in the address book.

But I don't have a phone/text plan/I don't get service at Vanderkamp!

I'm sorry for that, but this is how we're doing it now. A texting plan from Verizon is $10 a month. I don't imagine it's much more for any other carrier. That doesn't seem to onerous to me. If you don't get service, well... sorry.

Questions?

Concern...

I know my old phone NEVER got service at Vanderkamp... Hopefully nothing serious happens when you're out of Service.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

We technically didn't have the option to use cell phones before this program. Your situation is unchanged. Also, friends have resources, too.

Service can be poor but texting requires a much lower level of signal to work. Hopefully while you're wondering around you find a small spot where you get a few seconds of service to receive a text.

Prepaid (track) phones are usually very reliable, and cheap. You can add minutes for call/texting a needed instead of paying for a monthly plan.

Begin the count of cell-phones-broken-by-heavy-dudes-in-armor-falling-on-them! (i.e. Track phones may be the way to go)

I know I'm sure glad I bought a protection plan on my phone. Modern smartphones are not well suited to full contact games :)

KoN isn't full-contact, so if you fall and break your phone it's your own fault.

They make hard-shell cases, by the way.

I have a Tracphone. Paid $10 for it. Gets shit for reception at VK.

I'm a big fan of this plan, should work great, assuming PCs don't start whipping out their cell phones for every little thing.

Alright everyone. I sent out a test message earlier today. If you didn't receive a message then you're either not on the list or I have your phone number wrong. SO if you want to receive text messages then either PM me your name, phone number, AND phone carrier or post it here. Please refresh yourself with the rules and outline that Dave gave at the beginning of this thread.

Here are a few additional things to remember when using the new system.

Different carriers use different standards, also some smartphones send an alias for the sender's name instead of the phone number so we will have no idea who sent the message if we don't understand the nickname. So please include the following when you're initiating a new text with logistics, at least until we get any unexpected kinks worked out. Remember the 'Number' to send the text to is "ContactKoN@gmail.com" (I keep typing KoNtact...)

• Your name.
  • The reason your sending a message(IE: Druid, C&S, ID Magic, General, Etc).
  • Your message. This will help ensure your message doesn't get lost or something.

After you have received a new message you can simply reply to it without any additional information.

Lastly, this is a bit more technical. For those of you who know your phone is MMS capable(Normal text messages are SMS) let me know. sending messages through MMS is much nicer for the end user(you). IPhone 4's and Droids support this as do most(but not all) smartphones. Contact you're carriers if you're not sure, or just talk to me and we can do a test to see which format you like better. If you're phone doesn't support it you will get a text telling you to go to a website to view/download the message.

Any questions?

I had forgotten about this until today. I just texted my info to the phone number as per Dave's original instructions (technically he said to use the E-mail address, but I don't have data), but I'll put it here too.

PC Name: Shang Liao

Mobile Number: 607.339.8655

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Messages to Receive: Estimate Value, General Communications (I am also Innstaff), Random Insults from Dave.

Richard, this doesn't use data. It is a text message. Sending a text to ContactKoN@gmail.com uses SMS not data. I suppose if you had a smartphone and data you could send an actual email but texts are better for this situation.

That's why I was asking. I don't have a smartphone, or data. I added both the phone number and the gmail address, so it should work.

The phone number and the email are not directly connected. For now just use the email. The phone number is just someplace you can call during events that logistics can pick up and answer.

A note from last game:

Some players were still sending text messages to the phone listed above. Do not do this, they will not be answered. Send all texts to ContactKoN@gmail.com to ensure you get a response.

Thank You.

please remove me from the druids messages. thanks. kept getting woke up from all the messages from the event.

Bump.

For all our new players, please read through this thread. Feel free to post here or PM me with any questions.

This post will now be pinned.

I now have an iPhone 4 and get reception. :)

I can generally check the new mobile EV and ID Magic lists, but just in case, my number is 315-560-3281.

We have been getting a lot of new players.

I wanted to bump this for everyone. Please read the top post in this thread and PM me or Kerrie if you want to get onto this system.

If we have an appropriate case for a phone, say something like what is shown in this link, would that help out in terms of concealing and making phones less intrusive while being used?

Wooden iPhone Case

Can I unsubscribe? It turns out I don't carry my phone at game, so I just get a lot of texts about convergence when I check it on Sunday. :)

I can also knit up a phone pouch in tweed or wool or patterned medieval style in about 2/3 hours that hangs from a belt. I have one and keep my character sheet in there, too :)