TheAuthorOfOZ

Resilience question

Usually in our system, when an attack or spell hits someone and the defender has a buff that cancels it they call "no effect." I was wondering in the case of Resilience how the attacker is clued in during combat that their attacks are not dealing lethal damage? Obviously calling No Effect is out. Is it simply that they find out when they try to KB and the defender says "no effect" due to being immune to it through Resilience?

If you take enough blunted hits, you fall down unconscious. Seems to me that the attacker doesn't need to know which is which. Attackers who truly want you DEAD will come by and deliver a Killing Blow.

You should be allowed to tell at a glance anyhow, I mean, when you stab something with a sword a half dozen times and the sword isnt even bloody, you are going to know something is up.

Simpler is better and we don't ask people with monstrous to say, "Oh hey, you're only doing one damage."

Simpler is better and we don't ask people with monstrous to say, "Oh hey, you're only doing one damage."

This.

Also, it has a ten minute duration. 19 times out of 20, you're going to see the spell cast in front of you before you start hitting them. 10 min buffs like Shadowskin, Abomination, etc, are usually cast right at the beginning of a combat in front of everyone.

Remember, spell casting is very obvious, and there is no whispering spell incants. It is your responsibility to speak or shout the spell incant as loud as you need to for all observers to hear it. Combat marshals can and will penalize you for not doing so.

I thought if someone casts abomination you could tell if they were?

Also remember this isnt Hollywood- "blunting" someone to unconsciousness is not a clean nor painless thing. At a casual glance somone who has been beaten can look as bad if not worse than a fatal wound. A quick use of the first aid skill will tell you what type of damage the person is suffering from however.

They'll have a blue strip but unless you actually hear them cast you just have to roll with it. Unfortunately we can't actually turn into abominations... which would rock.

Only undead ""Could"" tell, But more than likely one would assume Ghastly Visage. Both make you look undead to lesser undead. Greater undead and everything just see you as you are.

I've been told that you can ask someone about particular spells. The three I've asked about are -

Primal Form, Shadowskin and Abomination as they are described in the rulebook to have distinct visual cues such as being a burning lava man or an undead abomination.

Or am I wrong on that?

I thought if someone casts abomination you could tell if they were?

Yeah, I mean, lots of these things should be obvious. But there is no system of telling others what you've got except for the blue ribbon. In the past, it has just been sort of a quick OOC conversation initiated by the enemy of the caster, which goes something like "Do I see you as a giant hulking undead beast?" "Yes, yes you do."

And no Guile, there is a visual difference between Ghastly Visage and Abomination. Ghastly Visage makes you look vaguely like a zombie. Abomination turns you into an undead Hulk.

I'm not saying they should have to call something, but I think one could tell with an ooc question, much like abomination, rather than needing first aid to tell. Perhaps the spell is more subtle than 'my skin wont break for 10 minutes'.

There's no additional call, that would unnecessarily complicate combat.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with being able to tell at a glance if certain buffs are up or not. Yelling "HAY IS YOU ON FIRE?" at every single encounter seems like it'll detract more than it'll add.

I'll get with the team and get back on this topic.

From what I understood, Resilience also makes you immune to Reap Spirit and Killing Blows yes? I am totally cool with calling "no effect" if those are tried, because then the person trying to kill you has to decided whether you are under the influence of Second Breath or this spell. The only reason I brought this up is that casters usually know if their spell fails, and combatants usually know if their attacks aren't getting through. With this it seems that you don't get to know, and I wanted to clarify.

"The goggles! They do nothing!"

For the purposes of combat, it doesn't matter if I beat you over the head with the sharp or the flat of my blade, eventually you still fall over, and at that point the spell becomes relevant to the attacker.

You don't know if you're knocking off magic armor, regular armor, or ablative armor, so I don't see how this is different.