Sign in to follow this  
Personal Mayonnaise

Dag Workout

Hey guys, Katie and I are planning on coming to Rag this year. We're getting back to the annual diet/exercise attempt, and I'd like to include some techniques that would lend itself to Dag fighting.

My question is what kinds of muscles are used the most in sword and board fighting, and what are the best exercises to develop and strengthen those muscles?

Fighting.

Really, being able to bench 300 pounds or do a thousand crunches isn't going to make you a better fighter, but fighting will.

There's a lot of muscle memory and reflexes to develop. A lot of stickfighters get a Pell to practice their strikes on.

At Rag, we'll be fighting about six hours a day, so on the shieldwall you need to:

1. be able to stand up for six hours

2. be able to hold up your shield, in front of you, for much of that time. I mean out like you're holding the shield as far away from you as possible, but still in front of you.

There's more, but i'm slow.

Basically: Be fit enough to fight all day. Out west they fight Dag like it's soccer: running for six hours. We play dag like it's football: Line up, run at eachother, stop, walk back, reset, stand around.

Out west they fight Dag like it's soccer: running for six hours. We play dag like it's football: Line up, run at eachother, stop, walk back, reset, stand around.

They do this soccer approach in Philly too. It is difficult for a Shield Wall fighter to survive long when you have 13 stick jocks flailing around you like a pack of rabid wolverines in heat. Don't get me wrong, you've got guys that actually fight down here too, but they are the minority.

What kind of shield are you thinking about using? Lighter pickle-barrel shield (like mine) will mean more moving on your part, both the shield and (very rarely) some sprinting to challenge a harrier. The barn-door shield guys are the real strength of our line, and endurance is more their key trait. In both cases, Cardio. If you have a big-boy shield, muscle up on the arms and legs. If you have a light shield, be quicker. Fight.

On a related note, last year, we had an epidemic of tennis elbow on the line. After a day or two of intense fighting, everyone had wrecked their sword elbow fighting, even being as defensive as we were. Some chapters just see that as what happens--you will get messed up elbows, that's how it is. However, a few of us are trying to make our technique better through better body mechanics (

). It's something that will be better if practiced before Rag, rather than once you're there.

Core workouts help for any type of physical activity. From running to wrestling. Core strength helps a person with balance and flexablity and cardio. They help a person push, pull, and lift. Also it helps strengthen your back. Push-Ups, Crunches, and Planks.

Stretch before working out. It doesn't have to be time consuming.

*Push-Ups Everyone knows how to do a Push-Up. Just make sure that you are working both arms equally. Go Slow and steady or you are not working your muscles properly and always make sure to keep your head up.

*Crunches This is a bit more adapted. Position for normal crunch, es. Sit Indian Style, lay back on your back while your feet are still crossed. Get as close as you can to touching your chin to your chest. Lace your fingers behind your head. Keep your elbows in. Pull your head towards your legs as you sit up. The end result will be your elbows between your knees. For a better workout rotate the opposite elbow to the outside of the opposite knee. Always bring your elbows to your knees, your legs should never move.

*Plank This workout is based on time not reps. start from a lying position. Set up like you are doing a Push-Up. Rest your fore-arms flat on the ground, keep them parrallel to your shoulders. Then lift until your arms form a right angle at the elbow. make sure your back is straight and your head is up. and make sure you start the clock...

Do three sets of Repetitions. Rotate between the three workouts. To find your base do as many as you can before you start to feel the burn. That is your base. Make sure to use an even number Then add on two more for the first set of Push-Ups. 4 to 8 for the firsat set of Crunches and up to 10 seconds for Planks. For the second and third sets you should only go up to your base. If you continuely feel like you can go above your base then raise it. You should never go so high that you hurt yourself trying to finish a set. Give yourself no more then a five minute break between sets. Make sure that your form is right for each set. As you start to get tired your cannot let your form suffer. Bad form will not get you the results you are looking for and it could lead to injury, This workout should take no more then half an hour.

As stated muscle memory is key. In Wrestling it was not about benching twice your weight rather then practing your takedown or your escape. After a workout maybe you shadow fight with your sword. Take a few minutes to improve your fighting stance.

If you're serious, you need a few things:

1. Basic conditioning.

2. Good body mechanics. Essentially, you need to learn to generate power with your entire body, not just swing your arm. That's why people were blowing out elbows last year.

3. Pel work. This is where the muscle memory comes in.

Get yourself a good workout routine that incorporates all that and you'll be hot shit.

googled "pel work" it gives me some finance things, some student work things, lots of environmental engineering things and one that almost is kinda relevant in pel hyperglycemia where pel stands for post exercise late.

So what do you mean by pel work?

1. Basic conditioning.

zombieland-rule-number-one-cardio-300x207.jpg

There are bridge battles and unlimited respawn battles where you spend a very long time fighting. If you can't breath after two minutes of heavy fighting and running back and forth you won't have any fun.

Blagars advice is good. You will want to make sure all your muscles are strong. The lower back is one group that easily atrophies because we sit so much. Hamstrings and quads are important. You use your chest, shoulder, and upper back muscles the most when swinging a sword. Strengthening them will help prevent injury and help you stay in the game longer.

Don't ignore the other muscle groups though. If you concentrate to much you will hurt yourself more than help.

2. Good body mechanics. Essentially, you need to learn to generate power with your entire body, not just swing your arm. That's why people were blowing out elbows last year.

Last night my tai chi master demonstrated a push that knocked down his opponent -- and his arms moved no more than an inch. Full-body movement FTW.

chest, cardio, and arm curls. Fore arm work is always good too (rolling up and down weights)

googled "pel work" it gives me some finance things, some student work things, lots of environmental engineering things and one that almost is kinda relevant in pel hyperglycemia where pel stands for post exercise late.

So what do you mean by pel work?

A pell is a vaguely human shaped set of sticks, weighted enough that you can hit it a whole bunch. It can be as simple as a pair of crossed sticks and some cinderblocks to hold it in place.

Heres some more info: http://www.thearma.o...ssays/pells.htm

Ps: Its pell with two L's if you want to google it more.

Pell work, yes. My bad, tyop.

That's all you need: conditioning, pell work, and body mechanics. Get all that down, then you have a good foundation for learning advanced techniques.

I'd also say you want to do pell work with a piece of SCA rattan, not a boffer sword.

Pell work, yes. My bad, tyop.

That's all you need: conditioning, pell work, and body mechanics. Get all that down, then you have a good foundation for learning advanced techniques.

I'd also say you want to do pell work with a piece of SCA rattan, not a boffer sword.

I use a sword I got from Hollow Earth Swordworks and its a great practice weapon. They arent super cheap or anything, but worth the money, with a lifetime guarantee. They are at the ren faire every year, so you can get a good feel for their weapons before buying if you go there.

Stick of rattan: $10. Also, it's heavier, so will help with strength building as well.

Videos 2-4 in the series that Richard posted seem very useful for not screwing your arm up for wrap shots and also a better description of how to get your whole body involved in hitting your opponent.

My priority goal for now is to minimize the amount of pain and fatigue I'll be in for the week. I'll be starting up the Couch to 5k program I did a year and a half ago to get back up to being able to run a few miles at a time for my cardio stamina. My lower back definitely needs strengthening if I'm going to be standing around with a heavy shield for long periods of time, as that's the first thing to start aching for me. My diet should be able to shed enough pounds so that my weight isn't as much of a burden to my body.

I just don't want any surprise muscles to start aching that I've never had to use before and never knew existed. Those body mechanic videos were very helpful and I'm going to have to study those in more detail to lessen the impact on my elbow and wrist.

Get your gear together ASAP, and make it to every possible dag/bel/amptard event you can reach. Anything with big foam sticks

I know I am a "Newb" but I have picked up a few tricks that can help you improve your game and to save your elbows...I would love to see a day that all of us going to rag get together to go over some fighting formations etc.

Don't be concerned with endurance fatigue. I can't recall being physically exhausted or winded during Rag last year.

Depending on your fighting style: elbows suck. As a shield fighter and single swordsman, you can adapt via adjusted fighting style.

However, as a min-red, my issue was the repeated feedback from having to power-swing into shields to get them to take the hit. Technique can't stop the physical pain of the force going up both arms when your momentum repeatedly recoils on contact. (Blues and greens, not so much of an issue, for red it was simply over-extension in some cases). Also, not just using the weapon for striking, but relying on it as my only blocking source increased the wear and tear on my arms two-fold.

I'm a little pissed this year since I got sick, I lost about 15 lbs of muscle and I REALLY need to build that back quick before Rag.

My main issue last year was heat exhaustion.

HYDRATION IS YOUR FRIEND

Fighting in black garb under the hot sun isn't the best idea in the world, but we make it work by hydrating, a lot.

HYDRATION IS YOUR FRIEND

So I guess I should armor my camelback then, so no little blue men pop it when I'm on the field, right?