Sign in to follow this  
Tony McHambone

Elementals...

I was always under the impression that you have to call out the damage you intend to use... Since we are allowed to down call and such, we should be clear on what's being called.

An Elemental Dart, I'm assuming it's not Magic and Nature damage, it's Nature damage with magic properties.. The difference being, that Battle Mastery wont negate the damage effect, but it can be reflected or deflected by Aegis.

Elemental Dart

Type: Nature

Level: 3

Duration: Instant

Range: Tag Bag

Dispel: n/a

This spell creates either two darts of focused elemental power in the form of nature that is primarily intended to harm elemental creatures, or a single dart of Primal energy to harm the strongest of elementals. The caster may choose which of the type of damage the dart will manifest as when they cast the spell. The spell will either manifest two darts that inflict four Nature damage, or a single dart that inflicts four Primal Damage. This damage is magical and does affect creatures only harmed by magic. Elemental Dart cannot perform any other function other than inflicting damage. For example an Elemental Dart of fire cannot start fires or serve as a light source. The player is not allowed to pass an Elemental Dart off to other players or set a dart down (this includes dropping them) and doing so will dispel the dart. The Elemental Darts must be thrown to activate so the caster may not simply touch a target with a dart to inflict damage. One minute after casting this spell the Elemental Darts automatically dispels and are wasted.

According to this it is both Magic and Nature with only Nature being the call. This is from the most recent Spell List I could find.

According to the description, it works like Elven Steel.

So it's just assumed that when you get hit, that it's Nature and Magic damage? Okay, but does that mean that Battle Mastery would ignore the damage?

I'm all for your idea in your first post.

"Wouldn't it be easier to say all Nature is strictly Nature and therefore cannot be stopped by magical defenses except Nature Immunity/Primal Form?"

Nature is just nature damage. Primal is nature and magic at the same time. You can down call primal if you need to.

Battle mastery is for "magic" calls. "Nature" is a different call. Battle mastery will not stop "nature" or "primal". It won't stop primal because it is two calls at once.

Nature as a stand alone damage type is not Magic Damage. It is not like Elven Steel and Primal. Nature swords only do Nature damage.

Only Elemental Dart is Nature & Magic according to the description. Nature from Elemental Dart is both Nature and Magic with only the Nature call.

So, as it stands written the way it is Elemental Dart...

1) Is negated by Battle Mastery.

2) Can killing blow an undead and keep it from rising.

3) Is stopped by Anti-Magic Shield, Anti-Magic Aura & Aura of Reflection.

4) If blocked by a shield goes directly to limb as damage

Your reading the spell wrong. When you choose a single dart of four primal then it is both.

And admittadly it could probably be written a little clearer.

I can see this thing going any way. I will wait for Rules to settle this.

I see your point Scott.

This spell creates either two darts of focused elemental power in the form of nature that is primarily intended to harm elemental creatures, or a single dart of Primal energy to harm the strongest of elementals. The caster may choose which of the type of damage the dart will manifest as when they cast the spell. The spell will either manifest two darts that inflict four Nature damage, or a single dart that inflicts four Primal Damage. This Primal damage is magical and does affect creatures only harmed by magic. Elemental Dart cannot perform any other function other than inflicting damage. For example an Elemental Dart of fire cannot start fires or serve as a light source. The player is not allowed to pass an Elemental Dart off to other players or set a dart down (this includes dropping them) and doing so will dispel the dart. The Elemental Darts must be thrown to activate so the caster may not simply touch a target with a dart to inflict damage. One minute after casting this spell the Elemental Darts automatically dispels and are wasted.

Fixed

I think what we have here is some old working from a time before mageblade's and Primal. The rules group will have the final say on this but I think what the original intent was that when you chose the "nature" damage option for 2 tagbags you then have the option of calling either (but not both) the "magic" or "nature" damage description- if you call "magic" you are essentially casting an expensive magic swarm. If you call nature then it will effect DR nature creatures, but NOT dr magic. While arguments could be made for it counting as both it would be too confusing in our system to differentiate this one spell from others.

The Primal version WILL do both nature and magic damage, the same way as Elvin Steel counts as both magic and silver.

As i recall our solution was to make antimagic shield, reflection, etc work vs nature as well as magical spackets.

We have a slight issue in that 'magic" and 'poison' are both damage calls, and ability descriptions. Antimagic shield doesnt help against a magic sword, but works vs a maelstrom spacket.

I am inclined to say that nature darts and nature weapons dont work to KB undead, and you cant "downcall" your elemental dart to be an expensive magic swarm. The primal dart would work though.

Back to the OP, those spells work vs spells with the magic descriptor, not necessarily the magic damage type. So they work vs a curse or an elemental dart spell (or elementals who mimic that ability), but not vs creeping rot, ruin, or alchemy, as those are not magical sources of damage.