Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Legacy LARP

I have an interest but we would definitely need to plan for it quickly. I also have a feeling someone is going to have to explain the combat system to me while fighting. My comprehension of some of the combat rules is really lacking.

If you all go, let the rest of us know what you think. I already have plans for that weekend.

Plus - Shields are listed as ankle to shoulder max height, no max width. Con - all armor only provides 1-3 points and looks like it must be totally remade to be repaired. I would guess that any one of us could provide 1-3 boxes of garb and multiple weapons, shields etc.

I think it would be fun to go, but not right now. It looks like the only real shield (weight) requirement is being able to carry it all day long. I'm also not sure how I would feel about sleeping IC; I'd probably just bar the cabin door with a bench . :)

I would go if we had some of us going in group.

If it's Gates of Fire weekend I'm definitely out.

I do not have a handle on their combat rules at all. I couldn't even tell you if it's lightest-touch with tap-blocking or what. Pretty sure all the stuff Dan's saying is accurate though, parry/block/disarm/sunder/etc.

Yeah, none of that bodes well, to me, but then again I'm pretty particular about what I think are LARP "best practices".

it sounds like may will be the best time to check this out as a group. i have an interest in atleast checking it out once but will more then likely not be a regular with the cost.

kon is cheaper but i cant afford both games in the same month plus gas and other expenses. currently unemployed and am living off my tax returns at the moment.

Dave I have two quick questions. First do you remember of the top of your head how many people ish came to the first Novitas event? Also would it even be worth suggesting to split shifts between so players would have to npc part of the game? (Just thought that this would be right in your department)

Also would it even be worth suggesting to split shifts between so players would have to npc part of the game?
Can you rephrase this? I don't really get it

I don't think other larps do that, i'm fairly sure KoN is in the severe minority among larps, because we do that.

Plus, as someone with some experience in the matter, people who run LARPs find it super annoying when strangers show up and say "You should do it this way because that's the way we do it in my other larp!"

If it works for them, just let it work.

I am definitely NOT going to make suggestions to them unsolicited. It doesn't appear to me that any of them are new to LARPing. They've got something they think will work, and I wish them luck in it. I'd also like to go check out their game, because I enjoy LARPing, I'm in favor of helping support new groups, and out of professional curiosity.

Just because we think something should be one way doesn't mean that it will work for every group. I could talk about "LARP design" for hours and hours, in the business/financial sense, the world/game building sense, and the rules and mechanics sense. Aesthetics, big tent/small tent, combat systems, "cast" vs. mandatory NPC, and a dozen other topics. Are there ways I think things should be done? Absolutely, and so we do them that way. Does everyone agree with me? Certainly not, and there is plenty of room for other groups to do different things.

tl;dr: I'm not giving unsolicited advice to anyone about their game. Regardless of my beliefs, "different" does not mean "worse".

I've been posting in the legacy forums asking about their shift scheduling and they really don't have a strict shift scheduling; more like they just have certain start times and end times. They just split them up into what they call Chapters, Acts and Scenes and players can choose if they would like to npc during those times. Plus I think cost varies depending on how much you npc too.

Nero International splintered into the national Alliance http://www.alliancelarp.com/chapters.php

There is a background page which explains the split- Alliance is owned by attorney and author Mike Venturra, who created Faire Play and bought the land.

Further splits last March resulted in the sleep-over weekends LARP I've attended in Ohio; Vandlar http://www.alliancelarpohio.net or http://vandlar.com/forum/index.php

I'm just guessing but, perhaps there has been more splits and Legacy has been created. Both a benefit and a drawback of a national organization is that you have to follow policies and procedures that everyone else is doing.

That is Arcon weekend, so I'm out. While it's closer then KoN, I'm loyal to this game and can't really afford to do 2 LARPs. They look like they know how to costume though!