Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Legacy LARP

Guest Elrohir Amandil

The game hasn't started so those are all staffers. Amanda and I will go this month. I'm going to cancel my arcon game and go. I've been active on thirty forums and have had some questions answered. I can offer a report in time for May Novitas.

It's close enough, but far enough, that I'd be happy to support them, provided they're not a shitshow or a train wreck. Looking forward to your observations.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

All right. Legacy is coming up this weekend. Amanda and I are pretty excited to try out a new LARP and all that jazz. I imagine there is going to be a bit of a culture shock there since I'm used to how Novitas does things and may take some things from granted. Here are some early observations:

The rulebook, while still a bit lacking, does get filled in with erratas and fixes as people bring stuff up on the forum.

Novitas and Legacy only conflict on one weekend which is the November event (obviously I'd go to Novitas in the event of a conflict).

Legacy takes place on a (new?) piece of property that is devoted to LARPing. This campground has plenty of modern facilities and some private sleeping areas but they are still working on getting beds for everyone. They are happy that Amanda and I are bringing our air mattress so that they can provide for people with no sleeping supplies.

They only feed you once at their Saturday Feast. This is not a time where the game is stopped but it sounds like they will run an Inn for a short time so people can eat stew or vegetarian stew. They will sell things like PB+J sandwiches for a dollar a piece so it's best if you bring your own food.

RPing alcohol is pretty different. There is no mundane alcohol as all alcoholic beverages are a buff in general and can kill you overnight if you ingest five drinks.

There are no shifts at Legacy so I don't think you get to NPC for half the game and then PC for the rest. I could be wrong on that but I know Amanda and I plan to PC the whole event and Christopher Robin plans to NPC for at least part of the event. Not sure what Blagar plans to do. Time periods are split up into vague times called "Scene", "Chapter, and "Act". Any non-permanent injuries get healed and MP is restored and you get all of your skill usage back unless they have a longer cooldown time than the episode time frame. It's pretty nebulous and it sounds like a game marshal needs to be around to call the end of any of these episodes.

They seem to be less picky about aesthetics so foam weapons and (potentially) fake armor is allowed.

No word on the calibration of how hard you're allowed to hit but it seems that they allow tap blocking so I may have to learn how to deal with that.

Right now there are only 20 people or so registered for the event. I'm used to 60+ people and event at Novitas so with no dedicated NPC shifts I'm not sure how they are going to make ends meet with NPC resources. I've heard of one other LARP that calls for half of the people hooked onto the plot to become the NPCs for the plot and I really hope they don't do that. Sounds kind of dumb.

Anyway, that's a lot of observations. If anyone has any questions that they would like me to look for answers for specifically let me know and I'll write stuff down as I go.

I hope you guys have an awesome time.

Furthermore, i hope you guys get a ton of compliments on how great you all look.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Thanks. I'm not porting Elrohir over to their system since all of their elves require more makeup than our elves. Amanda and I are playing pretty black garbed Imperial type characters and I'm recycling some old props like the elven steel katana I can't use at Novitas anymore. Got those gauntlets I wanted, too. I'll worry about embellishing the character once I feel that the game is worth it. Should be and interesting experience.

Just go prepared for it to be very different, and have fun.

Looks pretty fun as far as variety goes. Lots of room for roleplay with the wide array of races and backgrounds to choose from.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the skill sets as it looks like there's room for the whole "I'm level 30, you're level 1, you cant kill me" scenario.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Fortunately at the rate of gaining one level an event it would take you about 5 years to even get to level 30.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Reporting to you after night one of Legacy from a diner not 10 minutes away from the game site. Status:food and tired. Just going to post up my early thoughts while I still have brain cells.

Pros: pretty campsite. The site has been set aside by its owners specifically for larping. The main building has been converted from a barn into sleeping quarters, a tavern, the NPC staging area, logistics, and a shower room. Overall it is a really efficient use of space. I'll post pictures later. There is also a bunch of space behind the barn that has small personal cabins and the module staging areas.

The in character area is quite well furnished as a function of not needing to pack up their stuff every month.

The pcs have pretty good garb overall. It runs the gamut of quality but I would say that the average is at least pretty good. Amanda and I are doing things pretty well. The Spire of Nalben is the best looking weapon there ;)

Combat flows well enough but we are only level one with few abilities. Almost all abilities, HP, and MP recharge per scene so I can only imagine people throwing dozens of calls every fight. Might get hectic.

Staff is really friendly and passionate about their writing. I haven't encountered too many modules, though.

The player base seem to be decently experienced so roleplaying with them is actually pretty nice.

The staff have a good amount of resources including space heaters to borrow.

Cons: no indoor toilets. Port a potties only. Not sure if they plan to put toilets in or not.

The barn is a really cold place to sleep in. That said, Amanda and I got a private room with a light an outlet and a locking door. The space heater we brought helped mitigate the food.

Lack of mandated NPCs. Modules were spaced out pretty far. I went out on only one module besides the opening battle. I was too tired to take my turn on guard duty but they did not request that I go on my shift until 2:30. I was toast by then.

More words and pictures to come later.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

I don't think the combat is tap fighting but it seemed lighter than Novitas. I was swinging the spire at a pretty measured pace and everything I did seemed to be legal. I could demonstrate at Novitas.

Amanda and I left early. We haven't been getting much sleep and we were practically frost bitten sleeping there Friday night. Full write up to follow at least one day of digesting our experience and getting more sleep.

So, after consulting with Alex, Corey, and Christopher Robin, here’s the basic rundown of our experiences of the game. Feel free to elaborate further if you’d like, guys.

The property where the game takes place is GORGEOUS! Very secluded and rural area. The land itself is structured in such a way that when you’re going out to do anything, you should just be aware that you will go “uphill both ways” as the barn is high up in elevation, there is a valley, and then more elevation as you get to where ever you’re going to. The trip back can get rough after a while. Still, it really adds to the atmosphere and your experience of the LARP. I will warn you that the barn also functions as the place where most people sleep, and is obviously far from weather-proof. Alex and I had three good blankets and a space heater in our private room, and I still couldn’t get warm enough to get any quality sleep. I heard that most people had similar issues.

The staff were friendly and helpful from the moment they spotted us. We were treated to a guided tour, helpful tutorials on building our characters, and introductions abound. Everyone, not just the staff, was really friendly and excited to be a part of this new LARP.

This LARP seems to be very story-driven, though that might be a function of the fact that it’s brand spanking new. There were many specific “specialty” NPCs who were sent in to teach the PCs what it meant to be the characters they chose to play through RP. Also, there were “experts” in given professions and skill sets that helped PCs advance various RP skills and professions. This is an interesting and helpful mechanic they put into play.

However, one issue that all four of us saw was that the lack of required NPC commitment makes the story, gameplay, and pace suffer somewhat. While the slower pace allowed for great PC-to-PC RP so that we could engage in some world-making, eventually the one-plot-per-hour or two-hours got… boring, for lack of a better word. I will say that I don’t know if I would have recommended that they do this any differently for the first game, since it allowed as many people as possible to really enjoy playing what they wanted to play right from the get-go. Also, I would point out that we are all used to the pace of Novitas and for all we know, this game system doesn’t want the intense fighting and plot pace that we have here. To each their own, right? Neither is necessarily better, seems to be the consensus, just different. Also, the fact that there were so few plots at a given time usually meant that any plot attracted the entire town, but in a way that was good for the first game to build relationships and a sense of community.

General quality of roleplay and garb was good, especially for a first game. There was some distracting modern clothing (modern footware, cargo pants, etc). However, those were the exception, not the rule. I will say that one thing we definitely do better than this brand new game is the way we handle “OOG NPCs.” Their OOG status is indicated by a white headband, but often the “wind” tended to be modernly dressed and quite chatty. The most egregious example we have is one particularly chatty “wind” who talked to an active PC for an hour in the middle of all of the action. It was extremely disruptive and ruined everyone’s emersion. All we could do was walk away from the situation.

The fighting system is different. There are no damage calls for base damage (that is “1” point of damage) but specialty attack calls still exist (the most popular of which is “gore”). Casters still verbally cast before throwing a spacket, of course. Their thinking behind the lack of base damage call is that it encourages better battle RP, and all four of us found that to be true, for the most part. However, I would say that this practice isn’t really applicable to our system, since damage calls above “1” are fairly common.

I think that the others (mostly Christopher Robin) could elaborate further on NPCing, but from what I saw, they had RACKS of weapons, mostly if not exclusively of the duct tape variety, but not the “crappy” type of duct tape weapons, if that makes any sense. It looks as if they put thoughtful work into the construction of their weapons.

Some things that we all agreed that they could definitely work on providing regular food in the (amazing furnished) tavern. Perhaps we are spoiled by the way things work at Novitas. However, their Saturday night stew was an all-day project for the staff and really paid off in delivery – that was a unanimous opinion. Also, I don’t think any of us were big fans of the lack of modern plumbing. They did, however, have port-a-potties on site. I will say, though, that it is just about the worst feeling in the world to have to get up in the middle of the night, trek outside in below-freezing temperatures, and try to use those things without wanting to die.

I think that’s about it. Chime in if you’d like, guys.

Also, I think we all plan to go back next month. The staff was really receptive to our feedback, which I think speaks to their quality of personal character. This game existed only on paper until Friday night at game on. They’re doing a great job so far.

The fighting system is different. There are no damage calls for base damage (that is "1" point of damage) but specialty attack calls still exist (the most popular of which is "gore").

Corey's every other call ;)

It was an every "scene" not other call. Also i would like to point out that there was no party cap. So every PC went on encounters to fight 7 to 10 npcs.

Finally one of the game masters told us after the event that this game was a play test of a system that had only ever been written on paper. I am going to check it out again next month and see what the changes might be.

This game did wonders for my role playing abilities. All of the down time made for alot of talking which is just what I needed,

Don't tell me you used that spear?!?!?!

He did. I watched him like a hawk the entire time.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Don't tell me you used that spear?!?!?!

Yes, and it helped me murder everyone.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

And here is me linking to some pictures I took. I was mostly interested in their furnishings.

A link to a quick Facebook album.

Let me know if you can't see the album and I'll link to the pictures directly.

Content is currently unavailable.

Amanda you do not look so happy in that picture in the legacy site. smile.gif

At one point in time we were worried that she was going to kill Christopher Robin's character =]