Sign in to follow this  
Dren Ollevres

DIABLO III

Holy balls.

Go download the game right now in Battle.net. It's free to play the beta until Sunday night.

I'm gonna play this game so hard my keyboard's gonna report me for sexual harassment.

Thank you. That is all.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963739/Diablo%C2%AE_III_Open_Beta_Weekend-4_19_2012#blog

suddenly cant wait to be done with work....

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Yeah, I'm trying to log on. I think you need to have pre-ordered it to get into the beta.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Whoop, nope. Just checked their forum and the open beta servers aren't online until 3 PM, I think.

Whoop, nope. Just checked their forum and the open beta servers aren't online until 3 PM, I think.

i thought it said 12..w/e

But I had so many weekend plans!

Maybe I'll luck out and it won't download in time... :D

I get it for free >_>

It seems the Diablo 3 beta only lets you get to leoric. But its a enough time to get a good feel of any of the classes. It looks like its going to be a great game.

It looks like its going to be a great game.

Huh??

I played for about an hour, and am already sort of bored... I don't like how linear everything is. It doesn't seem like it will be much of a multi player game. I would like more customization with my character, but maybe that's just the beta limiting me..The graphics and the fighting are much better than the others (of course). It seems like it gets much harder as you go on solo. I died after getting ambushed with a Monk. I expect you will be forced to play with others to beat certain aspects.

Edit: Please remove the floating potions, and let me bash my potion button instead. Stop the cooldowns like wow, and let me at it.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

It explodes into a series of computer chips that you collect after getting within a certain distance of them. Items of Gathering will increase your collection radius.

It explodes into a bill i didnt need, and im not sure how many parts i need to replace.

Bleh.

Ok, after playing the beta with each character, I've decided I won't be buying the game when it comes out.

There are no options for your character when you level up. None. You get what is assigned to you.

That, to me, is the whole point of having a character in Diablo games. I can safely say D3 is not like WoW; World of Warcraft had OPTIONS when building your character.

Frankly, I was bored the entire time I played.

Ok, after playing the beta with each character, I've decided I won't be buying the game when it comes out.

There are no options for your character when you level up. None. You get what is assigned to you.

That, to me, is the whole point of having a character in Diablo games. I can safely say D3 is not like WoW; World of Warcraft had OPTIONS when building your character.

Frankly, I was bored the entire time I played.

Have you looked at the mists of pandora stuff?

Blizzard has been moving in the 'options are too confusing' direction for a while now. There are more dumb / casual / young players than there are intelligent gamers, so it looks good for their numbers.

But my take with D3 is somewhat similar. I didnt get all the way through it on the one class I was trying before they took the servers down for maintenance.

The gameplay is basically the same as D2, with slight graphic improvements. The world felt much less open and more railroaded than prior games. This may have just been part of it being a beta limited area.

The skill system, as you said, looks pretty bland, you get everything at various levels, with no real customization.

On top of that, the mechanics of swapping skills sucked pretty hard.

First of all, each button has a set of skills, you can never 'double up'.

As a sorcerer, my main 'secondary' attacks were a frost beam spell that slowed targets and did ok single target damage, and an arcane fireball style aoe attack. Clearly spells with different roles that you would want to swap.

I cant have them both due to the aforementioned skill types.

There is no quick and easy way to swap between them, I need to at the quickest, press S to bring up the menu, click the 'seconday' button near the top of the screen, select the different spell, then hit ok at the bottom of the screen.

Opening these menus does not pause the game, even in a single player game, and you cant click movement while they are open, so even if you are quick, you will probably either take a hit or two or be out of position.

The as an extra annoyance, they do have a cooldown of 3 or 4 seconds when you swap skills, which would be fine if you could swap them without menu diving, so you could be dodgy while the cooldown went through.

The 'runes' concept to specialize a skill seemed interesting, but the options that I could see seemed pretty bland overall.

Overall the feel I got was a 'here is what you are going to do, with the powers we tell you', and strategy was minimized, even with the options you do have.<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

The crafting concept was pretty cool, giving you a way to turn old gear into stuff you want, I did craft myself a new wand.

The mana regen mechanics were much better than D2, I felt mana was limiting, but not stupidly so as they were at lower levels in D2. I felt like a sorcerer from the start, where in D2 a sorcerer feels like a fighter with an occasional spell.

On the other hand, with no 'skill levels' to spells, caster gear (wands and orbs) were pretty uninteresting.

Overall, if I didnt already preorder, I dont know that I would buy this, but it should be fun enough to justify a full playthrough, but it will not have anywhere near the life of D2.

I'm not pre-ordering based on what I experienced last night. It's way too dumbed-down and limited, as others have said. Dan's assessment pretty accurately reflects my feelings.

I am disappoint.

OK, I guess I feel better, after reading through some other people's thoughts on /r/diablo. What we're seeing here is meant to be a tutorial, hence the "on rails" feeling of the game.

You don't have to use the new move that unlocks when you level. There were times that I stuck with what I was using earlier, and sometimes a "Rune" makes something that I decided not to use more appealing. From levels 1-13, yeah, not too much variation in what you can do. But looking at all the different moves in each hotkey, and all the different runes for each of those moves, it's pretty clear that at higher levels there are going to be lots of different ways to play each class.

My only grief with the game would be that it was too easy. The red glowing orbs made it so that I never came close to dying. I started a Hardcore Barbarian just to test out this "no dying" thing (btw, Barbarians are BADASS and a lot of fun), and I'm already level 11 and unstoppable. If it were just red orbs, that would be one thing. If it was just potions, another. But having both red orbs AND potions makes it way way too easy to just never die. Play Hardcore or go home.

Btw, this is just as "on-rails" as Diablo II was. You had Acts and stages of the Acts you had to follow in order. Even this 1-13 beta has a few side quests in it that are found from exploring.

Huh??

I played for about an hour, and am already sort of bored... I don't like how linear everything is.

It's Diablo, the game has always been linear. You click on monsters until they die, then move forward to click on more monsters. The game has never really changed since the Original.