Sign in to follow this  
Dren Ollevres

DIABLO III

You really need to go read about these runes. First you say that the majority of the runes simply give +damage like in D2, and now you're saying the only major difference is visual. Not sure why you want to believe what you believe, but its preventing you from learning about this new game.

most of the damage is level based in D3. all the +damage runes are basically the same (ie, 3 hits for 50%, one hit for 150%, that sort of thing). You basically have 2 damage levels mechanically, base and improved. In D2, the skill points gave 20-25 different damage levels, and much more with synergys. It is mechanically simpler. With runes you are making the choice between 'damage, recharge boost (for the charge skills), and usually 1 or 2 special effects', and again you only get to have one 'charge' skill. There is no sliding scale, they are all 'good' choices, and they are choices, they are just more mechanically simple than a skill tree. As they stated, this was done so that people could not make poor choices, but a lack of poor choice also means a lack of good choices, and they all feel similar.

Removing the 'tree' feel also kinda pushed them to sameness. Every wizard is going to be using frost beam and mana bomb or whatever till level 12, because thats what you have. There is no 'I'm a fire sorc, with consistant damage, or a lightning sorc with highly variable damage, or an ice sorc with low damage but slowing effects, or some mix of the above making concessions to one tree to afford skills in a second.' But thats another discussion.

And you may or may not note that I also mentioned several things I did like about the game, everyone just focused on the things I noted that I did not like.

Either way I get to play the hell out of it once I get out of work :)

Once I have played it through, I'll post back here and give a better feel of the game anyhow.

No, that's just plain wrong, there are plenty of bad choices. The differences are situational. Three hits for 50% is not the same as one hit for 150%. AOE is not the same as single target. Fire damage is not the same as electricity damage or ice damage. If those all feel the same to you, then you're doing it wrong, and when you choose to make your lightning spell do fire damage against the boss that is resistant to fire, you're going to lose.

Choosing the right runes and moves to make in different situations requires more intelligence than assigning skill points in talent trees in Diablo 2. I'm sorry that you spent so much time researching strategy for D2, but millions of people played and beat that game without doing so. Saying that people who liked D2 enjoyed "research" and people who like D3 like "shiny things" is insulting and embarrassingly ignorant.

No, that's just plain wrong, there are plenty of bad choices. The differences are situational. Three hits for 50% is not the same as one hit for 150%. AOE is not the same as single target. Fire damage is not the same as electricity damage or ice damage. If those all feel the same to you, then you're doing it wrong, and when you choose to make your lightning spell do fire damage against the boss that is resistant to fire, you're going to lose.

I've found that there really isn't any need to switch skills, unless you want variety. I play a Barbarian and I'll be honest, I've used the same 2 skills up until I got to lvl 15. The only reason I switched was I got a rune that seemed like it'd be cool to try out. Not that this is an issue, but there really doesn't seem to be much need to change up skills for certain classes. I notice that it might be reasonable to change your skills based on Mob fights vs. Boss Fights, but even then I just maneuver my fighting style.

I'm only in Act 1 with a few characters, so I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like. The world is FAR more open than the Beta, so I am extremely enjoying that part. I like creating weapons and armor, I think that's an awesome addition to the game. The story line is mysterious. I haven't gotten passed Act 1 yet, and they keep you pretty stumped about what's in store for this new world.

Overall, I've been quite satisfied. The beta rubbed me the wrong way, but I've enjoyed this game greatly.

What's your ID thing, Tony? Mine is Molydeus#1893

Did anyone else notice that you can set your skills to free mode so you can set the hot keys and mouse buttons to whatever abilities you want?

What's your ID thing, Tony? Mine is Molydeus#1893

Email: T_Servello@yahoo.com

BattleTag: SemenDemon#1218

^^ Yes, that's right... SemenDemon.

I edited my post above, but heres my tag again, since who goes back to look for edits? Oberon#1537

That said, I have played through act 1, and have a few newer observations.

1. the world is huge, it really opens up a lot after where the beta ended, and the chapter felt at least as long as D2, if not a good bit longer. Any concerns about railroading or whatnot are completely alleviated.

2. This is no surprise, but the story is incredible and the number of in game 'random' events is nice as well. Even if everything else sucked, I'd play this through to see the story.

3. Crafting is a lot more fun that the old horadric cube recipes., and while the inventory feels the same as D2, maybe a tiny bit larger, the stash is very tight until you can expand it, especially if you play multiple characters. Wish I could expand the character inventory too.

4. skills and runes do start to become more interesting choices as you get more of them. Inability to switch in combat usefully still makes tactical use of them more of a 'oh I died on that fight, lets change skills to try again' at best. I am curious about Ubergeeks comment on free skill mode and will look into it, if that works out like it sounds, I will be very happy. It still lacks some of the feel of D2 in the 'I'm a fire sorcerer, not just a sorcerer' feel, but its not as bad as it felt in beta.

5. character customization is still a toss up. you can be male or female for all classes, but thats it, if you are a male barb, you look 60 years old, and if you are a male monk, you look like a psycho hermit, etc. A couple of face options per class would have been nice. but its still an improvement over D2.

6. Online only, well, frankly, it sucks, but its been known for ages. I would have liked to be able to play in offline mode when the servers are up and down like I did in D2, I would have liked to not have to re-explore the map if the server drops, etc. But it will stabilize before long I expect, if they want to make microtransaction money, online only is the way it is.

7. Money really matters, I never can have enough, but I expect once you get the smith up and the stash filled, that will change pretty quickly.

8. Difficulty is still very low, I've died maybe 3 times total, and usually that was to 'I'm low, but should be able to finish these guys off before I pick up the red balls over there' type laziness. I did die once on the end boss of act 1 though. And to learning about the 'waller' property to a unique one of those charging beasts, made it pretty hard to dodge.

9. Gear selection has some problems, but I see that falling into place at higher levels. Its kind of dumb that my wizard is better off with a sword or axe than a wand or staff most of the time, since spell damage is calculated off weapon damage. And due to the ease of the game, +exp/kill or magic find are really the only stats to bother wearing so far. But hopefully Act 2 will ramp it up a bit.

Either way, having a ton of fun playing the game on my wizard. And playing my monk with Donna.

Normal is very easy

Nightmare and Hell are exactly as they sound.

If you're finding that you're dying a lot, you probably need new gear, and i'd recommend the AH. Just narrow the level range and pick which stat(s) you want, i usually put my total gold as the max buyout number and see what I can get that way.

Lots of fun, but the wizard is so much of a glass cannon I almost can't stand it.

Normal is very easy

Nightmare and Hell are exactly as they sound.

If you're finding that you're dying a lot, you probably need new gear, and i'd recommend the AH. Just narrow the level range and pick which stat(s) you want, i usually put my total gold as the max buyout number and see what I can get that way.

Lots of fun, but the wizard is so much of a glass cannon I almost can't stand it.

I'm playing a wizard, and the skills/runes I'm using make me very tanky but still do a lot of damage. I'm in Act II of Nightmare and so far I haven't had any issue with deaths. Here's what I use:

Passives: Blur, Astral Presence, Paralysis

Primary: Electrocute (Chain Lightning)

Secondary: Disintegrate (Volatility)

Defensive: Crystal Skin (Crystal Shell) *Important*

Force: Hydra (Lightning Hydra)

Conjuration: Energy Armor (Absorption) *Important*

Mastery: Archon (Arcane Destruction) *Important*

The three I listed as important are the key skills to being a beefy wizard. The other stuff are just personal preferences, though be sure to take Blur as a Passive. And resist taking the Glass Cannon Passive. Paralysis + Electrocute (Chain Lightning) + Hydra (Lightning Hydra) is a great combo too.

There's still an upper limit to how tanky your wizard can be. The blue packs or random yellow mobs are real scary with certain combinations of buffs.

My wizard is the highest toon I've got so far, so I don't have much to compare to, but isn't that true of all classes? I'd say the limit is just how much armor and vitality you're willing to equip versus damage.

If I recall correctly, the monk and the barbarian have a base 30% DR, and the witch doctor has pets.

I've seen those three classes up front in group games without a problem.

I'm only on act 2 normal with my wizard, but I run glass cannon instead of blur, and still only die once in a great while and generally to random chance / lag. diamond armor or frost nova are all the protection I need so far.

I do love arcane torrent for a seconday slot as my main attack spell :)

HOLY CRAP Turn on elective mode. You can pick your skills on your own :)

This makes the game 50% better in one fell swoop :)

I found I'm a lot more durable now, I'm using:

Electrocute (Lightning Blast)

Disintegrate (Chaos Nexus)

Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell)

Hydra (Arcane Hydra)

Energy Armor (Energy Tap)

Mirror Image (Extension of Will)

and

Blur

Prodigy

Astral Presence

You're really not using Archon? That skill is insane.

I was for quite awhile, but then I realized I'd rather be alive 90% of the time than awesome every two minutes.

It's a lot of damage, but it's not enough of an "I win" button to mean I never die to blues/yellows, and after the first time it's just wasted space.

You take a lot less damage while in Archon mode, and as long as you're killing things you can stay in the mode indefinitely. I've killed so much as an Archon that by time it finally expired, the cooldown was done and I could transform again immediately afterwards. :P

Only downside to me is that I can't use Diamond Skin. But the 40% increase in tankiness is usually worth it.

But I'm only in Nightmare so far, who knows what I'll be using in Hell.

Alright...finally bought the game.

E-mail: Nciocchi@gmail.com

Tag: Nquattro#1957

Tag: Kimakeru#1558

Extra Health Arcane Nightmarish Extra Fast

-> make a new game.

is anyone but Chris, Bill, and myself playing hardcore?

I have to agree that although I did not like the beta, I actually enjoy the full game. There were a lot of things originally left out that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside when they put it back in for the full version.

I've decided to just play the game and ignore my thoughts on the direction I would've liked the game to have gone. So far it's working. Something still "feels" off when I play it, and the plot is kind of like one long Dragon Ball Z episode after Act II, but many of my concerns have been handled well in the game.

Currently, I have a lvl 50 Wizard. 2.6k dps; not terrible. I wanted to finish the game first and be able to MF%-grind for loot before playing HC. Now that I'm starting hell, I appreciate this decision even more-so.

My fav combo has to be Frost Nova + Wave of Force (2sec stun) + Arcane Hydra + Diamond skin (50% reflect). You can pretty much stun-lock anything you come up against and never have to worry about taking damage. Arcane Hydra + Arcane Torrent (+15% to arcane dmg) seems to be the highest damage output I can get out of skills for PvE, more than the Arcane Orb (due to the ability to kill summoners in the back-row of mobs).

They did well with the achievement system and game balance, I think. AH is a little flooded already, but whatever. The point is that I keep playing the game so it's fun enough to overlook any hopes and dreams that were crushed when I played the Beta.