TheAuthorOfOZ

...Mediums could make spirits visible

I was kicking this idea around to a few people after game, and then pitched it to JC. He suggested I throw it up here just to see who likes/dislikes the thought (and what other GMs like/dislike it)

What if, by touching a spirit and also another person, a Medium could allow that ONE specific person to see the spirit? Not allow the person to communicate directly with the spirit (the Medium would still speak for it), but make it at least visible to the person.

Thought process: A Medium of level 2(?) can transfer sparks, so why can't it act as a conduit for perception? This of course would be an ability only a practiced (level 2 or higher) medium would/should have

My argument in favor of: It gets around the "20 questions" problem of the medium having to prove to a person that the ghost/spirit is in fact there. It also has the advantage of NPCs not having to invent backstory for the "tell me something only they would know" question. In short, it cuts through the red tape.

Arguments I have heard against: Part of being a medium IS that interaction of proving that you can see the spirit. Allows for roleplaying opportunities (and failures!)

Anyone have any other thoughts about this?

Playing devil's advocate as I am not a medium.

I like the current system that forces mediums and non mediums to rp it out. In Febfeast I was out with Iga, Richter, Narene, and Melina. The two mediums had to describe a ghostly battle to us while we stood in bewildered amazement. Then they had to play 20 questions with the spirit and Iga to find out what was going on. It was a very cool scene that would have been made less so by clapping a hand on one pc and letting them see for themselves.

Also, a ritual as Al suggests could be pretty cool too in certain circumstances. As an additional also... as I jokingly said at Good Golly's, I'd rather see high level mediums able to shackle spirits to other beings... "Oh you wanted to murder your family? Here have a poltergeist for the rest of forever."

Maybe making an item looted from some encounter or for Feb feast, that granted the ability instead would allow the best of both worlds? Also I would totally love to make a necromancyish looking prop for that!

Ritual actually sounds best, because Necromancy rituals I have seen sometimes require a medium to be present. It would also look a lot like a summoning/seance

Making it a ritual means its basically a one-time thing as far as the game is concerned, which is why i thought it should be tied to a special plot centered around a seance.

I could see a plot-specific ritual that let an entire party see Spirits.

However, I like that RP skills make the person with the skill RP. They can't hand that stuff off, it's all on their shoulders.

Likewise, we are EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to replicate any of the RP skills into an item. We don't like copying ANY skills into items, as it cheapens the sheet skills.

*cough cough*. Ghost weed?

On a semi -related note, the medium could place a hand on the spirit and make them visible until they took their hand off...1/gd

That actualy sounds cool.