Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elrohir Amandil

Lords of Imperium

Guest Elrohir Amandil

So, yeah. It looks like that other Alex is involved in this LARP that is gearing up to start the last weekend of September. It is going to be played at Faire Play like Legacy and has a heavily Novitas inspired game set-up and level system. I skimmed through the rule book and it's pretty easy to pick up on if you've played Novitas. If they have events that don't conflict with Novitas weekend I'll be willing to check them out.

lordsofimperium.com

They have a Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/LordsOfImperium

Also they are doing a Fundraiser on Indiegogo to mitigate their costs of the first event. Free admission if they reach their goal. Also, they are raffling off an Artelier Nemesis Dagger if you donate by 11:59 tonight. The dagger functions like one of our Feb Feast items that carry over from event to event. http://www.indiegogo.com/LordsofImperiumPremiere?a=1052434

Who wrote their rules? Did they used to play in this game? Or Mid-land? I don't know how similar our rules are to Mid-Land, but these Imperium rules are almost identical to ours.

there is a lot of overlap for sure, tho the feel seems very different, with no magic or non-human races, and ingame rules for slavery.

This is Movie Alex, also known as Alex Richmond, who has played KoN for years when he's able (last seen about a year ago as Nika, a Civenite running with the Druids). He's a high school teacher, and some current and former students of his wanted to have a larp, but without magic or non-humans. This is the result, and he's trying to make it viable for them both as a system and as a game, helping them write the rules based on what he knows and has experienced, integrating their ideas into something that's playable. As of today, he's also talked with Dave about it.

His intention was to make sure that the games were all on non-Novitas weekends so that they wouldn't draw away potential KoN players, and thus also allow KoN players to do another game if we chose. The problem he ran into is that our Octember event is off-cycle, so their first event conflicts with us. All others should be on different weekends, though.

They're trying to pull this all off pretty quickly, and I'm rooting for them. More games, more options, and more players in our local communities is a good thing.

It certainly makes it very easy for KoN players to jump right in. Combat is essentially the same. The main difference is RP/Support skills.

No magic means no Dissipates and no Revives, right? I think we've found Novitas: Hardcore Mode.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Yeah. There are no dissipates or revives as far as I've seen. Also no "skills that replace physical abilities", either. Healing also takes 5-10 minutes per application along with repairing armor. So there is a fantasy style recovery system but it's much more down to earth than 8 words and a couple of MP.

Yah, and apparently healing means that you have to pull somebody aside, spend Con points, and sit with them for a set period of time. Plus buy skills. Hardcore mode fer sure.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

I was considering playing a Surgeon in that game. Depends on my mood when it comes to character conception.

Presuming the first event goes off as expected, JC and I will probably go check it out in October. No decision yet on PC vs NPCing, but we've both been talking about building alt gear as a fun fall project, so we'll see.

It's hard mode. No magic. Some basic healing elixirs and poisons are really all there is. A smith can "sharpen" a sword for a temporary buff, but it tapers off from there pretty quick.

Armor repair is a S.O.B. too. Higher armor values, but armor has a limited number of times it can be field repaired each shift. Weapon skills are broken down into length categories.

There is also an economy in play about bringing in armor and weapons. The idea to create a sense of value in gear. ANY sword of actual quality would have been an expense and a relative rarity. Decent armor too. So there is a smithing system to be put in place were gear that isn't made at "Guild Standard" (read run of the mill or better) cannot be repaired or "sharpened" more than once per shift...

Factional religions and international pressures are the driving forces of conflict from a setting standpoint.

Taking off armor and putting it back on adds like half an hour to plate armor repair time :(

Not a problem until you fix your plate. tongue.gif

Just finished reading the rules myself. Definitely sounds intriguing and I was quite surprised to see how clone-like this system is compared to Novitas. I might check it out at some point.

I like that Alex's rulebook is complete, has fun pictures, and is easy to read. Based on this, and having met him a few times, I think it'll be a good game that he has created.

Definitely looks like a good game that I'd love to play in. Unfortunately, its 4 hours away from us, so I doubt we'll be able to... :(

I don't really have any issues with this, as he's doing it for a demographic that we certainly have no interest in.

I will say that, having experienced a game system once upon a time where there were both magic skills and "natural" skills for stuff like healing and armor repair, the "natural" stuff is going to get cheesed really fast. Really, really fast.

I talked with Alex for a while today at the Cortland Celtic Festival, and tried to sell him on the idea of just using Dagorhir rules for this, so that they can cross-game to other events.

Hey, all. Its been a while since I've been on here. I miss my KoN days... (Aquilla and Nika, those of you who might remember...)

Our system is similar to Novitas, but some of the similarities are actually being re-written. Namely the economy and production, which are about to get a huge overhaul. The combat system is really what's the closest, but the elimination on non-human races and especially magic really acts as a game-changer. Dave and I discussed options for a new combat system, too, and they are being considered.

I appreciate the shout-out on here, and I'll happily answer any questions anybody might have. I hope all is well in the Freelands...